Attention new members read this! - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:35 PM

Just wanted to introduce myself! Looking to buy a 05-06 Elise... and have much more to talk about on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:22 PM

Thank you for this... I've been trying to download AIM for the past 30 minutes....
post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:43 AM
Paul

New Lotus owner

New Member in Austin! Just picked up my 2007 Elise!! Stoked!!

post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:59 AM
glb

Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

(I drive with my finger on the horn button in any traffic. Iffy situations, my headlights are on.

Stay to the left of traffic, i.e. avoid passing on the right if you can.

Stop way behind trucks, SUVs, etc. Some have blindspots >50’. )

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

Re-Enforcer long thru bolts that terminate under car and tie down the tower:
https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/re-...y=Transmission

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait AT LEAST 20 minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

7. Rear toe-links can loosen and break with disastrous results. You can check tq periodically, or use Nordlock washers. Best is conversion to better engineered brace, such as BOE’s InoKinetic’s for two examples.

8. While under the car with panel off, look around for hoses and wires chafing their way to failure. That’s how this was found:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311...-u-tube-47232/

9. The stock radiators are prone to leaking where the end caps meet the metal part. Keep an eye on this. Most of us use single-pass all-aluminum radiators.

10. When your wheel well liner comes loose, skip the lame plastic rivet and use Well-Nuts instead.

11. Life will be better if you disable the auto-arming alarm function on the earlier cars. You won’t have to press a button to start the car. Instructions:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f320...ramming-70940/

12. These cars cannot be left off a Battery Tender for weeks at a time. Unless dead batteries are a particular joy of yours. Buy one right away. There are numerous threads here about which ppl use and like.

Some on this site are a bit obsessed with hockey pucks for lifting the car. Don’t use these. Too hard and slippery, generally, and too small a surface area. Use a piece of wood, as your hero does.

13. Visit the Uber Thread

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/e...ow-here-25131/

14. Most parts on the car are made by Toyota and others, so buying things like a/c compressors, engine parts, etc. is wildly expensive when purchased thru Lotus.

Toyota dealers, auto parts stores are way less expensive.

-----

Plus:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...brakes-241138/

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:42 PM

Driver's window module

After reading some posts I have taken my door apart and discovered I am not the first to have done this. Anyway it seems a plastic cable guide has broken and allowed the cable to tangle and kink so although the motor still works I can not operate my window. I was fortunate enough to get it fully closed so I can still drive and enjoy my car. Is there anywhere I can buy the assembly reasonably?
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:48 PM

Introduction Post

Hi everyone. I purchased my 2012 Evora 2+2 two months ago. I am really enjoying the car. I have been online reading and learning a lot about my Lotus on your website. So thank you to everyone who has posted all this great information. For now I won't be of much help in answering questions but I will continue to stay plugged in to see what I can learn.
post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:25 PM

Hello,
Iíve been a member for a while but Iíve never posted anything other than basic messages when I purchased my Elise. Iím selling my Elise now and want to be sure I know the correct way to post pictures. Rather than do a lot of trial and error which may create a messy post, can you direct me or tell me the right way to post an ad and insert pictures? Iím using an iPad. Thanks in advance!
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:54 PM
Race & Pamper

Below the reply box, click "Go Advanced" then click the paperclip icon for attachments
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera View Post
Below the reply box, click "Go Advanced" then click the paperclip icon for attachments
If they're already hosted elsewhere there's also an image button (box with pixely mountains and a sun in it) that you can click then paste in the link to the image.
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:10 AM

@Doge quick question. I posted a few responses and I am wondering if I was blocked? In my excitement for this community and want of an Elise - it appears that I may have been blocked? I posted a thread looking to find out about resale values and collectibility for the Elise - it does not appear to have been posted and deleted instead? Am I doing anything incorrectly? I'm happy to adjust whatever I may be doing wrong. Thank you! Appreciate this forum - thx!
post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:03 PM

I've tried to make a post introducing myself in the new members forum twice now to no avail. It's been almost a week and my post have not shown up.

Is it normal to take this long to review and approve a new member's post?

I have

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kldkld View Post
@Doge quick question. I posted a few responses and I am wondering if I was blocked? In my excitement for this community and want of an Elise - it appears that I may have been blocked? I posted a thread looking to find out about resale values and collectibility for the Elise - it does not appear to have been posted and deleted instead? Am I doing anything incorrectly? I'm happy to adjust whatever I may be doing wrong. Thank you! Appreciate this forum - thx!
I have suffered similar fates. I read these stickies and didn't see anything about posting limitations, but my replies kept disappearing. I still don't know why, so I've just had to reply in my mind.
-Phillip

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for the day. Set fire to him and keep him warm for the rest of his life. -Sir Terry Pratchett
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:38 AM

How come all my posts have to wait for moderator approval? Anyway to lift that restriction?
post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:03 PM

Lotus import into Indonesia

Hi fellow Lotus Owners,

I am new to the community and I am looking for some help....................... please!

Does anyone have any experience or can provide any assistance in getting my 1989 Lotus Esprit imported into Indonesia?

Look forward to receiving your replies.

Many Thanks n advance

Paul.
post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:20 PM

Garage
Why don't any of my replies show up?? It's kinda annoying..I started a thread just fine, but when trying to give responses they just don't show up...
post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:11 AM

Same as everyone else, posts not showing up, "waiting on moderator approval"
post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:13 AM

Garage
Seems like that's an "anti-spam" feature. Eventually the mods will "release" your posts.

Jon

2014 Ardent Red Evora
post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:57 PM

I have to agree with this. I just joined, want to PM a member selling a car, but don't want to clog up the forum.
post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:49 AM

same here, have more than 5 posts and still cant PM
post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:28 PM

Why are you wasting my time

I do not wish to do anything except advertise some Elise parts I wish to sell.
Why do I need to jump thru hoops to do this?????>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in