Flat Red adoption completed - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By oddcarnut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Oddcarnut

Flat Red adoption completed

I joined this forum a few years ago while we were playing foster parents for a friends 2005 Elise while the company we work for had him working in Japan for a few years. He figured given our twisted lot of cars on hand, which range from an Alfetta GT to Volvo 242 racer with Minis, Morgan and assorted SAABs in between, we'd be a good choice for such a task. Of course we were delighted to do so and to say we liked the car would be an understatement. My wife used it on a frequent basis with it becoming her second favorite, behind only he beloved 1960 Mini, Little Red. As the Elise was red, it quickly became know as Flat Red given its modest height. And as with all the other cars in our fleet we used it frequently, including a week long trip where I inadvertently set the GPS options incorrectly and we spent a fair distance on surprising well graded dirt roads...probably the first time Flat Red had motored on something other than pavement (giving SC credit for their sorry road surfaces actually being paved).

Alas, Flat Red's owner returned from Japan a bit less than a year ago and took her back home to be paired with the Honda Beat that followed him back to SC. Shortly thereafter, Flat Red began to throw temper tantrums, no doubt due to that little yellow Honda playmate that had appeared out of nowhere. Soon the owner realized he needed a more practical car in his fleet. Of course we helped to encourage that thinking. Last week he had a moment of mental illness and purchased a new Miata, so it was time for Flat Red to go.

So of course as any good foster parents would do, we immediately step in to rescue poor little Flat Red before she was tossed to some unknown individual. Yesterday we signed the adoption papers and made the 05 touring package Elise showing 75000 miles on the odd a permanent part of our family. It immediately showed us one of the tantrums it had started with the outgoing owner, the instrument cluster started randomly turning on & off!

Thanks in advance to the many who've posted a wealth of information here that I'll be tapping to fix the instrument issue, blower fan resistor pack and whatever else crops up as we happily motor towards making Flat Red another odd car in our fleet to be well beyond 100,000 miles.

Regards,

Ken
Mr.C likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:59 PM

That is a beautiful story and so lotus elise! Welcome to the home you already knew you belonged to.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:03 PM

I'm not too far up in Asheville, NC and need to make another trip down to Greenville's Cars and Coffee... Also, I know Dillon has an '05 midnight blue elise down in your area

WNC Tour Guide - WNC Drives (click me!)
'93 Vintage Red RX-7 - NA 20B
'06 Chili Red Exige - RIP 2017.12.01
'06 Ardent Red Exige Katana2 - try this again

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Oddcarnut

Western NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1_fd3s View Post
I'm not too far up in Asheville, NC and need to make another trip down to Greenville's Cars and Coffee... Also, I know Dillon has an '05 midnight blue elise down in your area
Hi. Thanks for the note. I haven't met Dillon and his blue Elise. I'm friends with Ron Wilcox who lives near Woodruff and has a silver 06 Elise. Let me know if you come to Gville Cars & Coffee

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in