How do! I am purchasing used...private party... - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 07:14 AM

Yes, this is accurate. Dealers will routinely upgrade the firmware version to the car's ECU when it is in for service, based upon on-going available updates and/or SB's that from time-to-time become released.

It assures you have the latest firmware version, and again is absolutely "routine" for most Lotus dealers and authorized service centers for you, to do. I would not be concerned with this at all. It is all a part of under warranty, customary and routine maintenance.

'08 Exige-S Club Racer
Desnorkelled, Stage-2, HID's, DRL Defeat, Sector111 Tow-hook & Fire Extinguisher, Deeply Fettled Roof S/C Air Intake, Schroth Prof II ASM 4pt Harnesses, RLS Lightweight gunmetal coated intercooler tubes, Saikou-Michi catch-cans, dual-SPAL hi-perf intercooler puller-fans, custom painted engine cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumpot View Post
Yes, this is accurate. Dealers will routinely upgrade the firmware version to the car's ECU when it is in for service, based upon on-going available updates and/or SB's that from time-to-time become released.

It assures you have the latest firmware version, and again is absolutely "routine" for most Lotus dealers and authorized service centers for you, to do. I would not be concerned with this at all. It is all a part of under warranty, customary and routine maintenance.
Thanks!
post #23 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

WOW WOW WOW!!!

416 miles of bliss from Erie to Philly...car is as cherry as described...2487 miles, never saw rain (until yesterday), and the previous owner walked me through everything - that might have been the best part - if he didn't live in Michigan we would be hanging out all the time.

What a joy to drive, and the comments, looks and picture taking was just priceless.

Now, I finally understand, and feel incredibly fortunate to own such a machine.

Got in late last night, and just took some pictures at 6:30am...I'll post pixs later.

post #24 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 03:30 AM

congratulations, Wexler! it's awesome that you had such a positive buying experience.

welcome and enjoy your stay.

2014 Stalker XL, #22
"If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley
post #25 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYVUE View Post

The good news: If your deal doesn't happen, there are PLENTY of used Lotus Elises/Exiges for sale...most of them are "babied" and "low mileage". Pick any color and option! And the price can drop below $25K! WOW!!
and where are these Elise's for sale at? how is it a guy can get the exact colors and options he wants? what am i missing?

M
post #26 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
and where are these Elise's for sale at? how is it a guy can get the exact colors and options he wants? what am i missing?

M
That guy spent his time looking for a car instead of starting threads on LT .

Patience, Whitey. If it is to be, it will.
post #27 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:

M
Pls don't hijack this thread to complain

2014 Stalker XL, #22
"If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley
post #28 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 AM

Now he'll start a whole new thread.

Wexler, congrats on the new car. I hope you're out driving it. You need to change the line under your screen name from "Envious, yet close..." .
post #29 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am still in awe...at work...can't wait for a little ride this evening.

Whitey - here's the deal man, I have lived litterally two minutes from a Lotus dealer, walking their lot almost every Sunday, counting cars, test driving other used Elise's, scouring Ebay and Cars.com, and reading this site in depth...been looking for over 4 years...

This is what worked for me:

1.) Know what you want.
2.) Know the price points.
3.) Understand the potential problems (as best as you can).
4.) Know what you are willing to pay.
5.) Go for it when you find it - and do not look back.

The drive home yesterday alone was worth the wait, anxiety and anticipation.
post #30 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 AM

congratulations Wexler

I'm sure we'll see each other at some point, i'm in MD so not a ridiculously long drive

now, drive it like you stole it

Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

"Comfort is for kids. I would want to make my passengers weep in fear" - Agent One
post #31 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
congratulations Wexler

I'm sure we'll see each other at some point, i'm in MD so not a ridiculously long drive

now, drive it like you stole it
Right on my brother!

2007 Elise - starlight black, biscuit
2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R (the "R" means nothing but at least it ain't that Pzev golf cart.)
post #32 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wexler View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome! I am still in awe...at work...can't wait for a little ride this evening.

Whitey - here's the deal man, I have lived litterally two minutes from a Lotus dealer, walking their lot almost every Sunday, counting cars, test driving other used Elise's, scouring Ebay and Cars.com, and reading this site in depth...been looking for over 4 years...

This is what worked for me:

1.) Know what you want.
2.) Know the price points.
3.) Understand the potential problems (as best as you can).
4.) Know what you are willing to pay.
5.) Go for it when you find it - and do not look back.

The drive home yesterday alone was worth the wait, anxiety and anticipation.
With patience and (right) attitude like yours, good things come your way. And your Elise is proof.

Congrats and enjoy your ride!
post #33 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:15 AM

congrats all the way..

As said before, "The smile that you have will be with you long after you exit the car. " People that know you will wonder why you are so HAPPY LATELY????? Now let the fun begin. and by the way the Attention you'll start receiving while in and around your car will sometimes drive you NUTTY....

2011 Evora Starlight Black/Gold.
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow- (sold)
2014 Ford Escape
2008 Nissan Xterra
post #34 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

So, I have what you would call Elise bruises...from getting in and out...one on the upper part of my left thigh, one on the inside of my right shin...wearing them with pride.

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R (the "R" means nothing but at least it ain't that Pzev golf cart.)
post #35 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM

Wexler, welcome and congrats!

Drive safe and enjoy...

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra
post #36 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Couldn't wait...these are pictures before she was mine...with the soft top...some "researchers" might find it familiar...it was on e-bay for a little bit...

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #37 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
So, I have what you would call Elise bruises...from getting in and out...one on the upper part of my left thigh, one on the inside of my right shin...wearing them with pride.
are you getting in and out ok? how tall are you? i am about ready to pull the trigger, and thats still my #1 concern.

couple of questions Wexler, if you dont mind, sir?
1) was the ride as noisy and with vibration and rattles like some say?
2) does the A/C work ok?
3) does the radio work ok?

Mike
post #38 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
are you getting in and out ok? how tall are you? i am about ready to pull the trigger, and thats still my #1 concern.

couple of questions Wexler, if you dont mind, sir?
1) was the ride as noisy and with vibration and rattles like some say?
2) does the A/C work ok?
3) does the radio work ok?

Mike

Hey!

I am 5'6" 160lbs...short and stocky, played ice hockey all my life so the bulk of my weight is in my legs (and gut from not staying in shape...) I think that's why I am bruising - neet to get the legs up.

I would suggest finding a local Elise and practice getting in and out...it is a pain in the a$$, but to me, worth it.

Noise and vibration is certainly more prevelent than a "normal" car - but this is not a "normal" car. I drive with the hard top on and windows down. I am not an AC guy unless like today I drive into work in a suit - it works great.

For the initial ride home I drove without the radio on and just listened to the engine sing for about an hour. It's beautiful. This also allowed for me to get orientated to the different noises that I wasn't used to; slight window rattle inside the door when hitting bumps, tires on the road, wind...etc.

And then, once I was comfortable with everything, I plugged the Ipod into the Alpine and Pearl Jam rocked all the way home. My only complaint would be the bass and subwoofer is drowned out by the windows being down...but I am cool with that.

I bought this car solely for one thing - the driving experience. So to me, it doesn't need to have AC, a radio, comfortable seats...you get the idea...I will confess that I am neurotic as well...went to odd extremes before committing to purchase such as measuring the slope of my driveway and then walking the Lotus lot with a tape measure...and a hockey stick...I actually went into the show room and asked if I could see if the stick would fit in the Exige on the floor...they let me, and it did - barely.

Again, know what you want, prioritize, anticipate the potential pitfalls...there are far too many variables in life...trying to calculate and compute them all is impossible (any Alan Watts fans?)...so just make the decision and move forward. Hope for the best, plan for the worst, and most likely it lands somewhere in between...

Hope that helps.

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #39 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Hey!
...I actually went into the show room and asked if I could see if the stick would fit in the Exige on the floor...they let me, and it did - barely.
bwahahaha.... I love it...that's dedication. I would have liked to see that. I'm guessing that was the first time they saw that sort of test in a showroom.

2014 Stalker XL, #22
post #40 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toedrag View Post
bwahahaha.... I love it...that's dedication. I would have liked to see that. I'm guessing that was the first time they saw that sort of test in a showroom.
Toedrag - as in an ice hockey stick handling move?

I drove it to Sunday morning hockey yesterday...sticks fit fine, but shifting to 5th and 6th on I95 south was a little tight...maybe I should have brought my equipment bag into the show room as well?

Put over 700 miles on the car since Wednesday...averaging 75 miles a day (the initial trip home was 400+). Loving every second of it!

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in