How do! I am purchasing used...private party... - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wexler View Post
Toedrag - as in an ice hockey stick handling move?
You nailed it!

Quote:
I drove it to Sunday morning hockey yesterday...sticks fit fine, but shifting to 5th and 6th on I95 south was a little tight...maybe I should have brought my equipment bag into the show room as well?
I wonder if you could stand the bag on end in the seat, and then fasten the seat belt...semi-serious about that...or, maybe remove a few items and throw 'em in the boot, though probably just pads or gloves. I wouldn't put a helmet or skates in the boot without lots of padding or something like the sector111 bootie.

2014 Stalker XL, #22
"If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toedrag View Post
You nailed it!

I wonder if you could stand the bag on end in the seat, and then fasten the seat belt...semi-serious about that...or, maybe remove a few items and throw 'em in the boot, though probably just pads or gloves. I wouldn't put a helmet or skates in the boot without lots of padding or something like the sector111 bootie.
AHHH! That's awesome!

Funny you mention the seat belt thing, I thought about that, but the bag itself is too floppy...yesterday I just jammed the bag on the floor and seat, gently placed the sticks against the passenger door - I use shorter sticks so the fit fine. I think I need to take the pants out of the bag - they are creating the width problem where I have trouble shifting into 5th / 6th. Your boot idea would work there.

Great problem to have though...although, I am a touch concerned about hockey stink in the Elise!

2007 Elise - starlight black, biscuit
2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R (the "R" means nothing but at least it ain't that Pzev golf cart.)
post #43 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

I am freaking out...dropped the car off last night for PA inspection and to have Rothrock look it over...has some slight moisture in the headlight caps and two little LEDs out in the rear right break light...but I am going through some SIGNIFICANT detachment anxiety...

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R (the "R" means nothing but at least it ain't that Pzev golf cart.)

post #44 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Got the call from the dealership...Inspection and check everything over...$75!!!!!!AWESOME!!! Said the car was "well maintained" and "looked good"...ordered me a new tail light (under warranty), said the moisture in the lights was "normal".

BAM!!!

I texted the guy I bought it from and thanked him yet again (actually I called him the f*cking man!)...two happy campers!

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #45 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 PM

Hey Wexler,
glad you are enjoying the Lotus!

but i am wondering......another thread talks about hearing loss and the loudness of driving the Elise. are you noticing the car is extra loud? do you think you need ear plugs when you drive?

Mike
post #46 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
Hey Wexler,
glad you are enjoying the Lotus!

but i am wondering......another thread talks about hearing loss and the loudness of driving the Elise. are you noticing the car is extra loud? do you think you need ear plugs when you drive?

Mike
Any hearing damage I may have experienced was the result of listening to the ipod too loud on the stereo in a grand celebration of driving such a wonderful machine...

Seriously Mike? Really?

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #47 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Any hearing damage I may have experienced was the result of listening to the ipod too loud on the stereo in a grand celebration of driving such a wonderful machine...

Seriously Mike? Really?
yep, read "Sweaty and Deaf" thread.

see ...m...'s comment near the end of the thread, which is "hearing loss in these cars is a very real issue, not to be taken lightly..."

M

Last edited by Whitey#1; 06-17-2009 at 02:25 PM.
post #48 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
yep, read "Sweaty and Deaf" thread.

see ...m...'s comment near the end of the thread, which is "hearing loss in these cars is a very real issue, not to be taken lightly..."

M
I thought about this subject a little...and I guess I am not a good gage - I have only driven the car with the noise reducing hard top on...which, if noise is a concern, buy one with the hardtop and leave it on - the car is even more eye catching...people think it's a $100k car.

Here's the deal - I am a guy that likes to listen to the stereo loud any way...I am quite confident that any hearing loss I have suffered (from any car) is from pushing the stereo and it's speakers to their limits...

Live life my man.

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #49 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Great run last night at 9:00pm...

Blue Route South to 95 North...met a friend that lives on South St...just had to cruise down South St...95 South to the stadiums, around the stadiums, absolutely ripped up 10th st - that use to be a very common area for drag racing - (first time I felt the "kick" between 6k rpms and 7k) under I 95, hair pin turn back up 95 North, dropped the friend off, back down South St again and then 95 South to the Blue Rt and home.

What a fricken blast!!!

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #50 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

For Chabot...sorry man, I couldn't figure out how to attach in the PM...for the rest...yes, this is the length of detail this guy went to...so appreciative I can't tell you...ok, yes I can...driven almost 1,000 miles in two weeks! Took the top off for the first time last night (what the F was I thinking keeping it on?!!!)

Whitey - it was sooooooooo noisey last night - becuase I was yaaaahhhhhooooooo-ing my head off!!!
Attached Images

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #51 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Perfect!

Awesome! Thanks for the pics. Hopefully I can be posting about my experiences soon too!

Quote:
For Chabot...sorry man, I couldn't figure out how to attach in the PM...for the rest...yes, this is the length of detail this guy went to...so appreciative I can't tell you...ok, yes I can...driven almost 1,000 miles in two weeks! Took the top off for the first time last night (what the F was I thinking keeping it on?!!!)

Whitey - it was sooooooooo noisey last night - becuase I was yaaaahhhhhooooooo-ing my head off!!!
post #52 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabot150 View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the pics. Hopefully I can be posting about my experiences soon too!
Right on!

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #53 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
said the moisture in the lights was "normal".
A little RTV around the inside edge will fix this "Normal" occurance. (at least it worked for me...)

My first wash one headlight fogged up all sorts of bad. made me so I took headlight off, dried it out, and put RTV on the side I suspected was causing the issue. I was right. no more fog/condensation.

Congrats on the purchase. These cars truely are a dream to own. (based on my experience at least.)

2005 Magnetic Blue Elise - "the Lotus" (original I know)
1999 Jeep Wrangler
2013 335 M sport.
If you dont GET it after you drive it, then you dont GET it - serpent

Last edited by mrcarcrazy; 06-25-2009 at 07:09 AM.
post #54 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
A little RTV around the inside edge will fix this "Normal" occurance. (at least it worked for me...)

My first wash one headlight fogged up all sorts of bad. made me so I took headlight off, dried it out, and put RTV on the side I suspected was causing the issue. I was right. no more fog/condensation.

Congrats on the purchase. These cars truely are a dream to own. (based on my experience at least.)
Good to know! Thanks!

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #55 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

I think last night's little spin has to be my favorite route to date...

9pm start...Rt 1 south to 202, 202 north to 76 E, 76 to blue route south home...took less than an hour...limited traffic, nice empty 45 to 55 mph sections of winding roads...yum.

Noticed something odd last night - Whitey take note - driving at night, on an open straight, wind in the hair, took a moment to look up...seeing the stars was almost distracting...it's my first convertable.

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #56 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

First bath last night...took all of 10 minutes (did it at around 8:30 pm...not to sound like Whitey, but I was concerned about sunlight...)...quick light wash...nothing too detailed.

Used a splash of Rain X foaming wash...

Foaming Car Wash Concentrate
Concentrated Foaming Car Wash
Rain-X Foaming Car Wash visibly reduces spots and streaks for a high gloss finish. The high-foaming formula is concentrated for greater cleaning action. Rain-X Foaming car wash safely lifts dirt, grime, and residues caused by rain, sleet, snow and bugs leaving your vehicle with a brilliant finish!
High-Foaming car wash
Protects waxed surfaces - will not strip or dull waxed surfaces
Biodegradable
Safe for all vehicle surfaces
Concentrated formula for 100 car washes!

...and a microfibre wash mit...

Any suggestions from the more senior members? Anything I should be cautious about?

Couple things to note:

Starlight black paint
Star shield
After rinse car beaded virtually perfect and uniform except in a small patch on front between headlights and vents on right side.

Took it for the obligatory air-dry ride...god I love this car.

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #57 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Took on a Corvette last night on the Blue Route...not sure what year of the vette...I think it was a recent purchase of a used...chrome pipes if that helps...no plate, temporary tags.

Not that I drive like an a-hole...I am super cautious about appropriate speed, in the right places...he was driving like a douche, especially in traffic areas...passed cars on the right side of an on ramp trying to get on the highway just so he could get past me!

Noticeable difference in the cars - agility. I did notice that in lane changing and turns there was no chance he could stay with me if we were on a track...but on the long, open straight between exit 9 and Villanova just after the normal speed trap section, I could tell that he could have pulled away...we were neck and neck at 100mph when I pulled off the throttle...it was getting stupid and I didn't trust his judgement.

Last thing...I can't tell you how proud I was to be driving a Lotus...I kept thinking about what Wallaby said on production #'s...about 500 a year...I saw 4 Corvettes on my ride, 0 Lotus, and 4 cops - man were they out last night!

What a fricken blast...50 mile cruise under a full moon.

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #58 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

4100 miles!

Just another 1,595 till I have driven it more than the previous owner...that should be some time around mid to late September at the rate I am going...

For the record, the bulk of the miles are from my 9pm-10pm 50 mile highway cruises (joy rides)...they are addictive.

What a great car.

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #59 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 AM

Wexler

Congratulations on getting a fabulous car! I remember the car you bought from looking at it last fall in Michigan. It IS beautiful and looked spotless. The owner was a really nice guy, and the local guys at Auto Europe knew the car and said it was a creampuff The only reason I didn't get the car was it was too new (I was looking for an '05) and the owner rightfully wanted more $$ than I was committing to buy an Elise. I didn't want to insult him by lowballing him for a really nice car, since I was sure someone would come along and make a good deal on a nice car like that. Enjoy!
post #60 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7777 View Post
Congratulations on getting a fabulous car! I remember the car you bought from looking at it last fall in Michigan. It IS beautiful and looked spotless. The owner was a really nice guy, and the local guys at Auto Europe knew the car and said it was a creampuff The only reason I didn't get the car was it was too new (I was looking for an '05) and the owner rightfully wanted more $$ than I was committing to buy an Elise. I didn't want to insult him by lowballing him for a really nice car, since I was sure someone would come along and make a good deal on a nice car like that. Enjoy!
Thanks man! And yes, super cool guy...man does he take nice care of his cars!

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in