How do! I am purchasing used...private party... - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Hey Wexler, glad to see your ride is great. I remember looking at the car you got and it's a beauty. The seller was a good guy. That's the way to go buying used.

Battery tender is a must. I almost always just use it in when I'm not going to drive mine for more than a day. You can attach a simple clip that allows you to just plug it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7777 View Post
Hey Wexler, glad to see your ride is great. I remember looking at the car you got and it's a beauty. The seller was a good guy. That's the way to go buying used.

Battery tender is a must. I almost always just use it in when I'm not going to drive mine for more than a day. You can attach a simple clip that allows you to just plug it in.
Hey!

Yeah, I just need to actually go out and get one...I'm driving it once a week now...the weather in Philly this winter has truly been a bummer...snowing as I type.

2007 Elise - starlight black, biscuit
2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R (the "R" means nothing but at least it ain't that Pzev golf cart.)
post #103 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

...bought a Schumacher Electric 1 amp slow charge for like $20 today...

Still haven't hooked it up...I'd still rather just drive the car...

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R (the "R" means nothing but at least it ain't that Pzev golf cart.)

post #104 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Two years ago today...still enamored with the car! Just short of 10,000 personal miles - the car now has 12,400-ish on her, and I have cherished each one.

Past year highlights:

Greenville Car Show - ridiculous display of exotics, humbled to be a part of that one.

Multiple Cars and Coffee events...this is really the only time I can get out since the birth of our second child last year.

Past year lowlights:

I attempted to coordinate a brief drive for the local dealership on the morning they were hosting a customer event...we were delayed on the start, one of the cars suffered a flat on a major highway, and it was one of the hottest days of the summer...never again.

Battery issues - the old one croaked after not being driven for a two week period (snow)...and then I thought the second one was dead and wouldn't take the trickle charge...only to find that the clamp around the terminal post was broken. (Thanks to Road Dad for talking me off a ledge!) Fixed it, all is well.

It's been damn hot in Philly, and I still refuse to take the hard top off. The car just looks too good, and I enjoy driving more with the top on - it feels more like a driving machine (if that makes any sense).

Still on the fence about tracking her, but keeping the hard top on pushes me towards saying yes...we'll see.

Only regret - I guess you could call it an "act like you've been there" assessment of my enthusiasm. This might be more guilty conscience than anything else. I don't drive like a douche (or at least I don't think I do), but I am sure that in the first year and a half there might have been moments where someone else might have.

Again, no incident I can point to, and maybe I am being too hard on myself after observing how chill guys are at cars and coffee driving half a million dollar machines.

Either way, two years in, I've been there, and still have that same enthusiasm for the car as I did on day one! (Now, I just try to remain chill, like the guy with the F40...or the Spyker...or the 458...or the...)

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #105 of 110 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:45 PM

I am freaking out...dropped the car off last night for PA inspection and to have Rothrock look it over...has some slight moisture in the headlight caps and two little LEDs out in the rear right break light...but I am going through some SIGNIFICANT detachment anxiety...

Car thermometer can often read warmer than the "official" temperatures you might see on television.
post #106 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

…3 years ago today since I bought her, 16,800-ish on her now…

Over the past year I have had the fortune to ride or drive in a number of exotics or “classics” (favorite was test driving a ’71 XKE) including tracking a Lamborghini at one of those wait-in-line-for-forty-minutes-only-to-drive-for-three-events.

There was one consistency after each experience; I couldn’t wait to get back into the Elise and drive.

For me, it’s the perfect car. There has not been one day of ownership where regret or second guessing has remotely materialized.

So, on the tracking thing…yeah, I recently took the plunge...Lotus Cup at NJMP. While the event was great, the experience was not a good test…turns out I was doing it under pretty good post-concussion symptoms (I was rear-ended at a stop light in the daily by a Dodge Ram 1500 2 days before the event).

If I didn’t have a throbbing headache and nausea…and was able to find 4th gear on the down shift (this should have been the 3rd sign to me to get the frigg off the track), the experience was incredible…mostly because of…you guessed it, the car.

The responsiveness, precision and balance was so incredibly humbling to the point of inspiration; I want to actually learn how to drive this car correctly (rather than the a-typical delusional guy that owns a sports car and thinks he can drive) to even attempt to get the most out of the car. It was that good.

Once I am cleared by the neurologist we (me and the car) will be back…hopefully this driving season.

Two fortuitous events this year; got caught doing what the citation said was “90+ in a 55”, in my own town, thus the citation from an incredibly nice officer of the law, and second, my “off” at the track on turn 5 of Lightning (went off like I meant it!) – which should have been indicator #4 to get the frigg off the track…but continued to play through it…like an idiot…I guess that’s what 35 years of ice hockey culture does to you…

Bought a set of used black stock wheels from a fellow LT Member and swopped them out for the silver to track with...and have been getting massive compliments even without the center caps...might just keep it that way!

Again, for those on the fence, do your homework, know what you are buying and then do it...really, just do it...the car is simply awesome.
Attached Images

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #107 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

...4 years today...21,500-ish...

The "ish" is a funny little British electrical issue...tach went out on me, lost the mileage when the cluster was replaced...I have the exact miles when the service was done somewhere...

Next, the hard top will probably never come off again...bought a roadster compliment, 1967 Sunbeam Alpine. The Elise is for spirited back road drives and long highway cruises, the Alpine for glorious local twisties and Cars and Coffee.

Have yet to track again since last year...still recovering from the gd concussion...Neurologist is talking about glasses...crazy.

Lastly, while taking a shot of the mileage figured I would display my psycho-level-love for this car...that mark in the airbag cover is from wiping off sweat from my nose...from kissing the badge at the end of each meaningful drive...um, yeahhh...

Lotus for life!
Attached Images

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #108 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

5 YEARS!!!

Wow...it's awesome to re-read this thread once a year. How does one know they made the "right" decision? When their love only increases with time...

I love this f*cking car. Simple as that.

Edit: forgot to include the mileage...she just turned 5,000 on our anniversary drive tonight...so 5,000 + 18,200, carry the one...count some fingers...23,200.
Attached Images

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab

Last edited by Wexler; 06-10-2014 at 04:53 PM.
post #109 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

6 years...still love the car...25,600 on the clock...mostly doing this...

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
post #110 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

10 years!

Well, after 10 GLORIOUS, RELIABLE, SUPER FUN years...

It might be time to put the girl up for sale. This is like selling off an appendage, thus having a really hard time making the decision.
Attached Images

2015 C63 AMG 507
2008 Porsche 997 TT cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in