3Likes
  • 1 Post By wneuburger
  • 2 Post By wneuburger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Lotus Elise Type72D

Garage
Smile Lotus Elise Type 72D

My son Morgan and I just bought a 2007 Lotus Elise Type 72D limited edition model, in the JPS black and gold racing livery of the 70's. Fantastic fairly original car with 7781 original miles. As I had worked as an SCCA National licensed pit marshal, I had worked the pit lane at Watkins Glen back during the F1 and other races at the track in the 70's and early 80's, giving me close up inspection of the F1 cars, drivers and of course Chapman himself. My wife was also SCCA national licensed for registration, and she met many of the teams and drivers during the registration process before they got to the track.

I love the black and gold racing colors of this Type 72D Elise, and the performance of the car itself. This week the car goes into the dealer for a complete check over for recall actions, and fluid exchanges.

This is my third Lotus over the years, having bought a 1972 Lotus Europa Twin Cam new from the factory back in 1972 (my first car). I kept my Europa Twin Cam for 23 years, before finally selling it in San Francisco (I would love to find my old car and get it back!) My wife and I met while she was driving a 1968 Elan S4 which we restored as well. During our dating time we both ran autocross with both cars , as well as rallies.

My other cars include a 2007 Aston Martin DB9, 2007 Mini Cooper S (Turbo), and a 2016 Mercedes S550. My son Morgan has a heavily modified 2004 VW R32
CamZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 05:48 AM

Pics please. The black/gold of the 72D is my favorite color for this car. I'll bet the experience of standing back and admiring after a wax/buff session is unmatched.

"In general, the Elise will be kept in best operating condition by regular use."
Page 152 Lotus Elise owner's manual
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 08:42 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneuburger View Post
My son Morgan and I just bought a 2007 Lotus Elise Type 72D limited edition model, in the JPS black and gold racing livery of the 70's. Fantastic fairly original car with 7781 original miles. As I had worked as an SCCA National licensed pit marshal, I had worked the pit lane at Watkins Glen back during the F1 and other races at the track in the 70's and early 80's, giving me close up inspection of the F1 cars, drivers and of course Chapman himself. My wife was also SCCA national licensed for registration, and she met many of the teams and drivers during the registration process before they got to the track.

I love the black and gold racing colors of this Type 72D Elise, and the performance of the car itself. This week the car goes into the dealer for a complete check over for recall actions, and fluid exchanges.

This is my third Lotus over the years, having bought a 1972 Lotus Europa Twin Cam new from the factory back in 1972 (my first car). I kept my Europa Twin Cam for 23 years, before finally selling it in San Francisco (I would love to find my old car and get it back!) My wife and I met while she was driving a 1968 Elan S4 which we restored as well. During our dating time we both ran autocross with both cars , as well as rallies.

My other cars include a 2007 Aston Martin DB9, 2007 Mini Cooper S (Turbo), and a 2016 Mercedes S550. My son Morgan has a heavily modified 2004 VW R32
British car passion and a son named Morgan? Coincidence? Welcome from another Lotus and Aston owner. The best of both worlds.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:50 AM

Awesome and welcome...post some pics of the car! About 5 years ago give or take, a black and gold 72 pulled up next to me on the freeway here in the Seattle area. The guy had what I presumed to be his son, began waving at me with the dad giving me the thumbs up. Those 72's look great!

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Lotus Elise Type72D

Garage
Type 72D pictures

Here are some pics of our Type 72D limited edition. I have number 21 of 50 produced....20 of which were sold in the USA. I will display it at the Atlanta British Motorcar Day June 9 2019 if anyone is in the area and wants to see it in person
Attached Images

lotusquacious and CamZ like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 04:23 PM

Congrats and the car looks great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in