New Member and RIP ChrisH - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

New Member and RIP ChrisH

Hey guys. New member here. My name is Shane and I live in San Francisco. Iíve just become the owner of an Ď05 Elise by the worst of circumstances. Unfortunately, my father-in-law and longtime LT member, Chris (ChrisH), died a couple months ago at age 58. He was diagnosed with cancer in the fall, but his death was months or years sooner than expected and quite a shock. Iím sure some of you knew him online and maybe a few of you even met him in person, probably at an autox at Qualcomm in the mid-2000s. Side note, when Chris was sick he got a visit from a local Melbourne, FL Lotus owner who I assume is an LT member. I donít know who you are, but Iím told that the few hours you spent with Chris was some of his happiest in those last few weeks. This will be an unusually long and personal intro post.

Iíve been dating Chrisís daughter since I was in high school. We met in Ď04 and one of the first conversations we had was about her dad waiting for his newly ordered Lotus to arrive. And so from the start Iíve always associated Chris with his Elise because Iíve never known him without it. We lived in the foothills in east county San Diego at the time and heíd steal me away from Merissa to go for a drive with him on one of the incredible mountain roads in the area. The Elise was, by far, his favorite possession and his four kids always referred to it as his fifth kid. Chris was a brilliant but awkward guy so cars were my saving grace as the common topic we could always bond over. We became closer than I am with my own dad. Cars, the Lotus specifically, played a good part in that. Suffice it to say there was a lot more to Chris than cars, but this is a car forum so Iím keeping it somewhat relevant.

When Chris was diagnosed he asked me if weíd want the Elise if he died. Of course my wife and I said yes. The intention was for me to fly out and spend a week learning everything about the car and how to wrench on it with him. Unfortunately, we never got the chance. The good news is that Iíve been around the Elise for 15 years and Iíve been studying up since his diagnosis in order to be a good caretaker. So Iím not going into this entirely cold or unaware, but I have a lot to learn.

I knew he loved that car, but I was blown away when I saw that he had clocked 142k miles on it. He drove the hell out of the thing and Iím looking forward to seeing 200k. I shipped it across the country last week and just received it here in SF a few days ago.

About the car:

Itís a 2005 Elise in Bordeaux Red Pearl over tan leather. Off the top of my head I believe itís chassis #2478. It has a clam hinge (not BOE) and REV300 which he installed a couple years ago. Aside from those mods it is stock as far as I know. As I continue to dig through his paperwork in addition to the car itself Iíll be able to figure out exactly what he had done.

It runs and drives well, but it also comes with a few issues, most of which are typical Elise or 15 year-old car problems. The front clam needs to be repaired due to cracks, as does the rear clam which broke completely through near the deck lid hinge. The clear bra is faded and needs to be removed or replaced. Paint needs touch ups. No air blows from the vents so I have a resistor pack replacement ahead of me. The radio seems to work, but no sound comes through the speakers.

When he died, he was in the midst of an immobilizer bypass of some sort. Unfortunately for me, in classic Chris fashion, it seems like he was doing it is own way which he no doubt thought was superior. This means I encountered a stripped interior with a complete ratís nest behind the seat. Wires are everywhere with some added and seemingly going nowhere and there is no indication of what he was doing precisely and I can't get it to match with any wiring diagrams. With only a limited time to get the car buttoned up, I wasnít able to get this sorted as Iíd hoped. This wiring mess may also be the cause for the radio issue because he had installed an amp behind the passenger seat. Iíll have to dig into this more and potentially get pro or amateur help. Itís really difficult to jump into someoneís project and try to get into their head. So I pieced the interior back together and called it a day for now. Iím still reading up on wiring diagrams, but so far I still donít quite get his plan.

The only driving issue is a strange and incredibly annoying RPM drop from idle when you tap the throttle. For instance, when in traffic waiting for a stop sign if I tap the throttle lightly to move forward, the RPMs will drop from ~900 to ~5-600 which makes stalling a real possibility. No idea what is causing this yet and no issues with RPMs or throttle response at any other time. There is no drop when you very slowly add throttle. Iíll be digging into this more or having it looked at. Any insight on this one is appreciated.

Anyway, I miss Chris dearly. Having his prized possession is really meaningful and cathartic to us and Iím looking forward to getting it back to those mountain roads he loved so much. Iíll also be joining the GGLC soon and hopefully Iíll be meeting some of you in person. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in