The official, ONE AND ONLY, Can This Lotus Be Used As A Daily Driver thread - Page 14 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #261 of 265 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 01:06 PM

Garage
Upstate NY ... target purchase: Esprit. Do they make snow tyres to fit?

Apologies for the throwaway post (I think this is the last post to "unlock" PMs).

Steve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 AM

Almost 10 years, over 230,000 km. Wash and waxed on the weekend.
Attached Images

shay2nak likes this.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #263 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:27 AM

Cars I've used as sole source of transportation (sun, rain, snow).

1972 MGBGT
1972 Porsche 914
1972 Saab Sonnet
1974 Datsun 260Z (with Chevy 350. No pb, ps, heat, radio)
1968 Corvette convertible
Fiberfab Aztec kit car (VW based with turbo 1776cc engine)

I think the new Elise will be just fine as my daily!

post #264 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Murray View Post
I think the new Elise will be just fine as my daily!
This raises a really valid point: The suitability of a particular car for your mundane use is as much about your expectations as is it about the car.

As I posted in another thread, if you've daily driven any factory high performance car of the 1960s, you have experienced a less polished vehicle than a Lotus built in this century. The only way in which an Elige is deficient relative to the assortment of 1960s sports and muscle cars I've dealt with over the decades is cargo capacity.

Another piece of expectations would have to be your environment. If you live in SoCal - what a shock, you can DD a Lotus 12 months out of the year pretty easily. Ditto most of Florida. If you live in the rust belt, it's a greater (and in my opinion rather unwise) commitment to not have a winter beater.

Here in the Virginia piedmont, I park mine when there's salt on the road - typically 2-3 months starting in late December, and ending with the first heavy spring rain in early March. So I don't have to DD in snow. My car is garaged and I have covered parking at work, so I don't have to worry about how well the defroster copes with snow, for instance.

I drove mine to work yesterday and today, and am planning on doing it for most of the summer and fall - particularly because I'll be putting a new convertible top on the Celica.
post #265 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
This raises a really valid point: The suitability of a particular car for your mundane use is as much about your expectations as is it about the car.

As I posted in another thread, if you've daily driven any factory high performance car of the 1960s, you have experienced a less polished vehicle than a Lotus built in this century. The only way in which an Elige is deficient relative to the assortment of 1960s sports and muscle cars I've dealt with over the decades is cargo capacity.

Another piece of expectations would have to be your environment. If you live in SoCal - what a shock, you can DD a Lotus 12 months out of the year pretty easily. Ditto most of Florida. If you live in the rust belt, it's a greater (and in my opinion rather unwise) commitment to not have a winter beater.
Very valid point. It's about the expectations. Every car came with a specific set of expectations. The Saab was hoot for completely different reasons than the MG or the Datsun. But for each of them, it's a matter of recalibrating what you expect to the reality of the car. I loved each of them for something different.

And I drove each for at least a year in every type of weather. 100+ degree summer sitting in traffic. Snowy trips back and forth to work. Driving rain. I had lots of story-worthy experiences in them (and other cars not on that particular list, but of similar ilk). The adventure of motoring is something too few experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in