The official, ONE AND ONLY, Can This Lotus Be Used As A Daily Driver thread - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 265 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 AM

Sure I drive it everyday to work with only these exceptions

1. Raining really hard or snowing
2. Snow on road
3. Costco or Home Depot run
4. Taking my bike with me for after work bike ride

The Elise is convenient enough for grocery shopping or the gym or my tennis bag. Otherwise I just use the larger car.

2006 Lotus Elise - Solar Yellow
2002 Audi A4 Avant - Dolphin Gray
2006 Suzuki SV650 - Blue
2008 Ahrens Custom Road Bicycle - Sprint Blue
2013 Ahrens Custom SS Bicycle - Naked Steel Finish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 265 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Updated first two posts

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #23 of 265 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:07 PM
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...m... View Post
...so i trust you're ignoring the bit in the owner's manual where it says 'your child will die if he rides in this car'?..
You mean the part the lawyers put in to meet US federal requirements? I did the research, reached my own conclusions.

LOL. Nice troll.

2007 Elise Type 72D #6 of 50

post #24 of 265 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:28 AM

Can you? Yes.

Should you? Probably not. Though you can tie Christmas trees to the top, put roof racks on and risk cracking your top, take the top off and transport large things uneasily. Hydroplane at lower speeds, and get stopped by a few inches of snow.

Will you? If you're asking; it's not for you. It's like the one friend who goes home sits at the computer for hours, night after night playing some interactive game with other people on line. The one friend who into his 40's is still smokin' dope daily. The one friend that collects matches from every restaurant. It's an addiction, you get in the car and you might be the one in 100 that doesn't ever want to get out, and be dumb enough to paint it in some silly flat color. It has absolutely nothing to do with practicallity, you get addicted, you find a way to make it work. I don't have an addictive personality and get bored easily, but I want to drive this puppy every day. Unfortunately I can't get 8 cases of produce into it. So once or twice a week I have to drive my other vehicle.

'06 Elise: Phantom Black, Touring, Starshield, Powder Coated Black Wheels,
'11 Evora S: Phantom black, '14 Jaguar F type silver

Last edited by JoshS; 09-04-2008 at 06:18 AM.
post #25 of 265 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:35 AM

I use mine as my daily driver

however, i live in Southern California where the weather is pretty much ideal for driving all year long

eric
'06 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
Stage II exhaust | Hardtop | Black LSS Wheels | Toyo R888's | De-Snorkeled | Green Filter | Sector 111 Folding Tow Hook | Exige Mesh | Front Clam Seam Delete | Sector 111 rear panel delete | Black Pack Diffusor | Chrome Orange Center Console
post #26 of 265 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
You mean the part the lawyers put in to meet US federal requirements? I did the research, reached my own conclusions.
...nothing at all wrong with that, but it's worth quoting to folks considering the elise/exige as a daily driver, since they likely won't read it until after purchase...

Lotus Cars USA Owner's Handbook
Seating and Safety Restraints

WARNING: Lotus strongly recommends that children are not carried in the Elise due to risk of death or serious injury if the child is too close to the dashboard when the airbag inflates.
When a child is of physical size whereby the standard fitment lap and diagonal seat belt will fit satisfactorily, with the belt positioned over the collar bone and against the centre of the chest, the standard seat and seat belt should be used. If the belt touches or crosses the child's neck, the child should NOT be carried in the Elise.
WARNING: Children should not be carried in the Elise unless they are large enough to be able properly to use the standard seat belt without any child seat or booster seat. There is no provision on the Elise to switch off or disable the passenger airbag.

...emphasis per the original text; there are nine additional such dire warnings of imminent death to children in the same section - at least the sunvisor stickers can be removed...

Last edited by ...m...; 08-06-2008 at 09:28 AM.
post #27 of 265 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 01:36 PM

I do have another car for the big stuff/go skiing with, but this is the car I drive most. I only drive the other car if I can’t take the lotus, or need to go into the hood or such.

In 2years 3months I put 64,000+ miles on my car with no major problems. Had a few teething things when new like window not going up, but this got all quickly fixed. I love this car; to me it’s the perfect daily driver.
post #28 of 265 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 01:48 PM

My 08 CO Elise SC is my daily driver. I absolutely freaking love it! Questions?
post #29 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 02:47 AM

my daily driver

I've had my Elise for about 6 months and have used it as a daily driver. I love it!
post #30 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 04:59 AM

I never drove mine to work because I feared that it might upstage my boss' 997 Turbo. For many people that are unfamiliar with Lotus Cars, they'd think I'd paid more for the S240 than the Porsche.
post #31 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 05:00 AM

I just read through the whole original message and have to say thanks - it was incredibly helpful. The reliability issue is the only one that still sticks with me. Reading the post about the car basically being un-enterable when a fuse went scares me a bit. Still, I think the Elise would be a fair weather car for us and the S2000 would be used in a more daily function for my wife's 6-mile commute.

-GT
post #32 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 01:52 AM

Hi guys,

I m not planning on buying a lotus, but i am considering another car with similar "practicality", but since there are no owner forums for it i thought i ll check here if you don't mind

For the owners of an Exige, how hard is it to get a parking ticket (or a toll road one) when parked next to the dispenser (e.g. at an underground parking entrance. Dunno how it is in the US but in Europe we have underground parking garages where you drive up to the barrier, some ticket comes out and thats what you use to pay and leave the parking). I wonder if the actual slot where you can grab the ticket would be positioned higher than the roof of the car.

because a picture says more than a thousand words

Also is it possible to get out of your car in a regular (EU, non SUV size) parking space or do you need to get the door fully open in order to get out?

My car would be used for transporting me, myself and I mostly, but I do park alot in that kind of places (I hate leaving my car on the street in a city) so any feedback would be nice.

Thanks guys!
post #33 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 04:57 AM

My only experience with something like this is a toll road where I need to insert a credit card to lift the gate. Even when I am as close to the machine as possible, I still have to put the car in neutral, unbuckle my seat beat, and stretch out the window in order to reach it

Mind you, I'm 6' tall with relatively long arms, I can only imagine it being more difficult for others

Phantom Black '07 Exige S
Lotus Map (a google map for lotus owners)
post #34 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 01:16 PM
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphic View Post
My only experience with something like this is a toll road where I need to insert a credit card to lift the gate. Even when I am as close to the machine as possible, I still have to put the car in neutral, unbuckle my seat beat, and stretch out the window in order to reach it

Mind you, I'm 6' tall with relatively long arms, I can only imagine it being more difficult for others
Just drive under the gate....

(I kid, I kid...)

2007 Elise Type 72D #6 of 50
post #35 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 AM

RE:The official, ONE AND ONLY, Can This Lotus Be Used As A Daily Driver thread

Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing since I've never driven a car without one, but I find it hard to fathom why this would even be worth a complaint. If it was missing a remote trunk release (like the Mazda3 inexplicably does), now THAT would be annoying, since trunks are used almost every day. But how often do people even pop their hoods these days (especially a luxury car buyer), maybe a couple times a year? Are they really going to miss the 5 seconds of their life it takes to prop the hood?
-------------------------------
Muthu

Used Cars
post #36 of 265 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 AM

Thanks for this thread man. You don't know HOW much this helped. Much props. Appreciate it
post #37 of 265 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 09:43 AM
BANNED

why not an eclat?
post #38 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 08:38 PM

very Helpful thread. Mucho thanks for the info. This looks to be a cool forum and I have been lurking for a while.

I am looking at getting out of the Boxster and into an Elise.

Lighter is better.

Please tell me Lotus's are cheaper to operate then Porsches.

It would not be a DD, I have the M3 for that, but I would drive it to workie some, and to be honest the only issue that scares me from the thread is the parking issues and parking structure issues. I have to park in a very cramped and sloped structure under my building.

Busting the clam on my new elise would really be a pisser.

10 Porsche Cayman
post #39 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PECivil View Post
very Helpful thread. Mucho thanks for the info. This looks to be a cool forum and I have been lurking for a while.

I am looking at getting out of the Boxster and into an Elise.

Lighter is better.

Please tell me Lotus's are cheaper to operate then Porsches.

It would not be a DD, I have the M3 for that, but I would drive it to workie some, and to be honest the only issue that scares me from the thread is the parking issues and parking structure issues. I have to park in a very cramped and sloped structure under my building.

Busting the clam on my new elise would really be a pisser.
Yes, I would say so. The Toyota engine helps. It also helps to be able to do certain simple things like oil changes yourself.
post #40 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:49 PM

thanks foosh

you mean there are people who dont do all fluid changes on their cars themselves?

i do everything I can, and probably things I can't.

Taking a porsche to the $tealer is like posting all your CC numbers online with the pin codes.

I do fluids, brakes, the easy stuff. And Mods of course. Many many mods.

10 Porsche Cayman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in