The official, ONE AND ONLY, Can This Lotus Be Used As A Daily Driver thread - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
Can you? Yes.

Should you? Probably not. Though you can tie Christmas trees to the top, put roof racks on and risk cracking your top, take the top off and transport large things uneasily. Hydroplane at lower speeds, and get stopped by a few inches of snow.

Will you? If you're asking; it's not for you. It's like the one friend who goes home sits at the computer for hours, night after night playing some interactive game with other people on line. The one friend who into his 40's is still smokin' dope daily. The one friend that collects matches from every restaurant. It's an addiction, you get in the car and you might be the one in 100 that doesn't ever want to get out, and be dumb enough to paint it in some silly flat color. It has absolutely nothing to do with practicallity, you get addicted, you find a way to make it work. I don't have an addictive personality and get bored easily, but I want to drive this puppy every day. Unfortunately I can't get 8 cases of produce into it. So once or twice a week I have to drive my other vehicle.
Exactly!

2011 Final Edition S260 Isotope Green
2005 Track Elise LotusCupUSA
2008 211 FS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:36 PM

Good read. Thanks, OP.
post #43 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 04:22 AM

So, just to make sure, can i use the elise/exige as a daily driver?? Does the car come with touring wheels??

Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

"Comfort is for kids. I would want to make my passengers weep in fear" - Agent One

post #44 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 05:16 AM

questions that I overlooked on my test drive

I'm seriously considering an Elise and I have taken one for a test drive, but I was enjoying the drive a little too much and forgot about some things.

- I also drove an S2000, with crazy short gears, so it was turning 4000rpm at 75mph/120kmh in 6th - I think it would be annoying for a normal commute. I don't remember the Elise being so short geared, or as noisy (tiring noise vs good noise), but can you tell me the revs at this speed in 6th?

- the hardtop... anywhere to stow it? Or does that stay in the garage and you just use the soft top on those in-between days.

- heater... I'm planning on using the car for 3 1/2 seasons: spring, summer, fall, and nice days in the winter. Does it have a good heating system/ windshield defroster?

- grit, road salt... I am hoping to use it through some of the winter, but there's a lot of salt on the roads here in Toronto. How does the paint hold up to this and are there any sections not protected by the starshield? My old Talon was pock-marked in the first few months and had to live the rest of its life with a bra for protection.

Thanks,
Tim
post #45 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 05:21 AM

No it can't, yes it can. Daughter, sister, daughter, sister. Jake, it's Chinatown...

'06 Elise: Phantom Black, Touring, Starshield, Powder Coated Black Wheels,
'11 Evora S: Phantom black, '14 Jaguar F type silver
post #46 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 AM

Tim, here are the answers to your questions and a few more pieces of information you should have before you make your decision....

At 75 mph the motor is turning at around 3700 rpm.

The hardtop stays in the garage. The soft top rolls up and can fit in the trunk. Some have suggested it can fit behind the seats but I have a small subwoofer back there that prevents this from becoming a reality.

I have use the car in 25 degree weather and have found the heater to be perfectly adequate. In the hot south texas heat the a/c is very anemic. The windshield stays fog free, as does the rear window. Note that there is not rear defogging heating element like on most cars (I haven't found it to be necessary either).

The paint and fiberglass won't be affected by the salt any more than any other car. The aluminum, reportedly does not do well with the oxidizing effects of salt. i don't have any personal experience with this, though. The starshield does not cover the entire car, just the areas prone to rock damage.

Now for the questions you didn't ask:

1. The car creaks and rattles, and the windows and trunk leak in heavy rain.

2. Many of us have put on an aftermarket exhaust. These tend to be louder than the stock exhaust, which very likely was on the car you drove.

3. The car can cost a lot to insure if used as a DD. Without any tickets or accidents, by insurance costs tripled from what I was paying on my Infiniti G35 coupe. Also, many insurance companies won't insure it because it's considered an exotic. These cars are easily totalled because Lotus specifications dictate that any damage to the aluminum frame is not repairable and therefore, the car is scrapped. Be very careful if you are buying a used car. Some have been repaired with a clean title even though they should have been salvaged. When in doubt have a Lotus mechanic go over it. Proper inspection of the frame requires the removal of both clams.

4. Speaking of clams, a damaged clam can cost 11-14k to replace. They are often repairable at around a tenth the cost, but replacements are expensive.

5. Windshields have taken a long time to obtain and can be very expensive to replace.

6. These cars do require extra maintenance compared to your standard Talon. Some regularly check the torque of the suspension bolts, especially in tracked cars. A few of us have had problems with some suspension bolts loosening and breaking during hard cornering (I am one of those people).

7. Dealer support and service quality varies WIDELY, if you are not mechanically inclined I would carefully consider what kind of dealer support you have in your area.

8. If you are buying a used car ask for an ECU dump. The ECU in our cars records copious amounts of information that Lotus has used to deny warranty claims. If in doubt, post the ecu dump and we can tell you if it contains any concerning data.
post #47 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:01 AM

be sure to look at transio's thread, which is probably a sticky in the for sale area or something, maybe the library.

80mph in 4th is 4000rpm.

Take my track day survey: here You should enjoy it. 10 questions.
Now take survey #2 here

Mods: TurboXS Intake, Ultra Disc Rotors, Adare Motorsports Racing Pads.
post #48 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 AM

Thanks carlover. Dealer support will be a problem... I first went to Gentry Lane in Toronto and they said I could test drive one as much as I wanted after I bought it. Nice way to treat a prospective customer. I'll never go back. Its not like I'm a 16 year-old and showed up in a junker - I'm 38 and drove up in a Lexus. The next closest dealer is John Scotti in Montreal. They were super nice and happy to take me out for a test drive, with absolutely no pressure. I wish all car salesmen were like this. If I'm buying one, it will be from them... but it is 6 hours away.
post #49 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:17 AM
xtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffster10 View Post
I first went to Gentry Lane in Toronto and they said I could test drive one as much as I wanted after I bought it. Nice way to treat a prospective customer. I'll never go back. Its not like I'm a 16 year-old and showed up in a junker - I'm 38 and drove up in a Lexus.
Although such an attitude sucks for potential buyers, I almost can't blame the dealership for being too paranoid.

One member here just recently had his car totaled by his own brother, who just wasn't savvy enough to avoid a bump in the road, or to even consider that perhaps such a car shouldn't be driven at speed on such a bumpy road.

It seems we get more than a few of the "Who knew these cars were so fragile; I just broke my car driving over a pebble that my Lincoln Navigator wouldn't have even felt; How can Lotus knowingly sell such a fragile thing?" posts here in this forum. There is a high percentage of drivers on the road that just don't have any idea how to walk in the shoes of their vehicle and understand its needs. I can drive my F250 over things at 70mph without worry that would total an Elise at 10mph. A lot of people just don't understand the difference.

We've also had a decent number of posts in the "Gosh I didn't know the car would over-steer and put me in the ditch (or into the concrete barrier wall of the onramp) so easily! Didn't feel like I was even pushing it!" catagory. There are plenty of test-drivers that would want to see what it can do, but don't have the experience necessary to find out safely.

Sucks as a potential buyer, but I kinda feel for the sales people.

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
post #50 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 08:25 AM

True, except that I said I already knew the performance numbers and just wanted to make sure I was comfortable in it by toodling around the block with the salesman. He then went on to say that people order Enzo's without driving them, and if people can do that, then I could buy a Lotus without driving it... said with a condescending attitude that almost got him punched.
post #51 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover View Post
Tim, here are the answers to your questions and a few more pieces of information you should have before you make your decision....

At 75 mph the motor is turning at around 3700 rpm.

The hardtop stays in the garage. The soft top rolls up and can fit in the trunk. Some have suggested it can fit behind the seats but I have a small subwoofer back there that prevents this from becoming a reality.

I have use the car in 25 degree weather and have found the heater to be perfectly adequate. In the hot south texas heat the a/c is very anemic. The windshield stays fog free, as does the rear window. Note that there is not rear defogging heating element like on most cars (I haven't found it to be necessary either).

The paint and fiberglass won't be affected by the salt any more than any other car. The aluminum, reportedly does not do well with the oxidizing effects of salt. i don't have any personal experience with this, though. The starshield does not cover the entire car, just the areas prone to rock damage.

Now for the questions you didn't ask:

1. The car creaks and rattles, and the windows and trunk leak in heavy rain.

2. Many of us have put on an aftermarket exhaust. These tend to be louder than the stock exhaust, which very likely was on the car you drove.

3. The car can cost a lot to insure if used as a DD. Without any tickets or accidents, by insurance costs tripled from what I was paying on my Infiniti G35 coupe. Also, many insurance companies won't insure it because it's considered an exotic. These cars are easily totalled because Lotus specifications dictate that any damage to the aluminum frame is not repairable and therefore, the car is scrapped. Be very careful if you are buying a used car. Some have been repaired with a clean title even though they should have been salvaged. When in doubt have a Lotus mechanic go over it. Proper inspection of the frame requires the removal of both clams.

4. Speaking of clams, a damaged clam can cost 11-14k to replace. They are often repairable at around a tenth the cost, but replacements are expensive.

5. Windshields have taken a long time to obtain and can be very expensive to replace.

6. These cars do require extra maintenance compared to your standard Talon. Some regularly check the torque of the suspension bolts, especially in tracked cars. A few of us have had problems with some suspension bolts loosening and breaking during hard cornering (I am one of those people).

7. Dealer support and service quality varies WIDELY, if you are not mechanically inclined I would carefully consider what kind of dealer support you have in your area.

8. If you are buying a used car ask for an ECU dump. The ECU in our cars records copious amounts of information that Lotus has used to deny warranty claims. If in doubt, post the ecu dump and we can tell you if it contains any concerning data.

It can be a daily driver. But it is NOT a family car.

To work and back...through the twisties with other sports cars...short hops... the track.

Last edited by LARRY; 11-26-2008 at 08:45 AM.
post #52 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 04:38 PM

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/100k-miles-65861/

That says it all.

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

F The System - ChuforiaGraffix.com SweetDaddyDelicious(at)hotmail(dot)com
post #53 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
True, except that I said I already knew the performance numbers and just wanted to make sure I was comfortable in it by toodling around the block with the salesman. He then went on to say that people order Enzo's without driving them, and if people can do that, then I could buy a Lotus without driving it... said with a condescending attitude that almost got him punched.

That is...sickening. You might report that to Lotus. Not sure what they might do. Lotus knows the cars need to be test driven to be sold.

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #54 of 265 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:55 PM

I will be purchasing a black or titanium Lotus Elise shortly and I'm planning on using it as a daily driver in Florida.

My one question: Does this car get a lot of negative attention from cops (assuming no exhaust / not driven in a crazy way)??

I had a red Viper with an exhaust system and would get pulled over quite frequently, then switched to a blue Porsche without an exhaust and haven't been pulled over in years.

I'm curious to see what owners experiences are, and if negative attention from police should be that big of a concern?

2011 Liquid Blue Lotus Evora
post #55 of 265 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 AM
mjf

The police response really depends on the driver. I've had really positive interactions with the police so far. Even the time I was ticketed the gentleman was very polite/friendly and I wasn't targeted, he was part of a speeding ticket "task force" where dozens were pulled over. =( I get a lot of waves or nods of the head from the police. Which is a lot better than the alternatives. My Audi on the other hand has gotten way more tickets. =(

2007 Elise Type 72D #6 of 50
post #56 of 265 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Not the admin anymore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy 98RT10 View Post
I'm curious to see what owners experiences are, and if negative attention from police should be that big of a concern?
I had mine 2.5 years, with no front plate in a state where it is required....I drive fast....not reckless, not weaving, etc., just fast. Never got pulled over. (But I never got pulled over in my S2000, Del Sol, CRX, 911 Turbo, 911SC or my current 993TT either.) Just lucky, I guess.

(I have a 33 mile, one way, commute.)

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Audi R8
I am no longer the admin. If you need help, please contact a moderator or send a PM to 'Administrator'.
post #57 of 265 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy 98RT10 View Post
I will be purchasing a black or titanium Lotus Elise shortly and I'm planning on using it as a daily driver in Florida.

My one question: Does this car get a lot of negative attention from cops (assuming no exhaust / not driven in a crazy way)??

I had a red Viper with an exhaust system and would get pulled over quite frequently, then switched to a blue Porsche without an exhaust and haven't been pulled over in years.

Im curious too. Although in south florida, I think people get away with a lot. From dark tinted windows to HID's which are technically illegal. People run the streets pretty ragged in there ricers and such. Every time I see a GTR, Ferrari, Lamborghini ETC. they drive calm. Only ONCE did I see a Porsche Carrera speeding a towards South Beach, by star island... he was pulled over.

But again I think it depends how the driver is. I have never been ticketed during my 5 years of driving in Miami.

Once I get my Lotus, it will also be my DD.

Wishing you Clear Skies & Tailwinds!
post #58 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 AM

Hi there, I've had my Exige S for 2 years now and it has been my daily driver from April to November since I got it. I live close to Toronto, so 8 months is not bad, rain or shine.

I currently have about 24,000km's on the vehicle and I've even take it to the track with folding chairs, tarp and cooler. lol (aka. very versatile)

I hope you're all enjoying your lil beasts as much as I am. It's a true drivers car, so why not get out there and drive it?

Ciao,

Scarab.

Scarab

2007 Exige S
Graphite Grey - Touring - Track Pack
post #59 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I live in Mississauga. I have been considering buying an Elise. Have you bought one? Do you drive it in winter with snow tires?
post #60 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Hannah Montana could drive any Lotus in any weather, including a blizzard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in