The official, ONE AND ONLY, Can This Lotus Be Used As A Daily Driver thread - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 265 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 AM
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
The next thing I noticed was that there wasn't a good place to put CD's. I don't have an MP3 player (believe it or not). I found out that the ledge behind the driver's seat can hold 3 CD's, each lying flat. I bought a rubber material at a dollar store that lies flat on that ledge. With that in place, the CD's don't slide around.
Do you mean that you don't own an MP3 player you can hook up to the stereo, or that your stereo does not play MP3's?

Does the CD player in your car play MP3's off of a CD? You should be able to copy the CD's you have to your computer, and then copy those MP3's to a writable CD and then put that in your CD player. (It's what I did, rather than hook up my iphone each time I get in/out of the car)

2007 Elise Type 72D #6 of 50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 265 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Do you mean that you don't own an MP3 player you can hook up to the stereo, or that your stereo does not play MP3's?

Does the CD player in your car play MP3's off of a CD? You should be able to copy the CD's you have to your computer, and then copy those MP3's to a writable CD and then put that in your CD player. (It's what I did, rather than hook up my iphone each time I get in/out of the car)
I have a stock Alpine CD player in my Elise. I think it does play MP3 files if you burn a CD.

What I meant is that I don't own an iPod or similar player and that the Alpine does not have an iPod connector.

Anyways I'm old school and have a bunch of real music CDs. I'm content just to use those with the CD player in the car.
post #103 of 265 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Garage
Streetability is not necessarily constant.

It was kinda fun to read this thread, now that I've had my '05 Elise for almost 2 years. I have to admit that I'm in the don't drive it in the winter camp. Another consideration when evaluating the daily drivability is the degree to which you might be using it for competitive motorsports. Here's what's happened to me...

I had lusted after a Lotus since 2004 (I still have the car and driver mag review on my bookshelf). My lust was substantially centered around wanting a car that looked cool and had REAL performance. I am naturally somewhat indifferent to super luxury options such as heated seating, etc. I got exactly what I was looking for, and my main worry at the time of purchase was would the stiff ride be so stiff that I couldn't stand it. Once I got to drive one, I was hooked and my mind cleared of the stiff suspension worries.

At that time I had never even dreamed of participating in competitive motor sports, but after driving it for half a summer I began to feel like there was fun to be had that I was missing out on by not taking the car to the limits. Doing so on public roadways obviously involves something of a death wish because the roads are full of stupid people who do stupid things without looking, and smart people who look but simply aren't expecting a car traveling at twice their speed. Who can blame them really?

So with the encouragement of my mechanic who is a Lotus fanatic and races an Esprit, I tried out a track day at NHIS. In anticipation of this I did a bunch of web browsing and ran into the SCCA site, and discovered that a friend from college was heavily into SCCA Autocross... So I tried one of those too, figuring at worst, I'd reconnect with him. Both events were fun, and took the car/driver to different sorts of limits.

The track day was a big bigger rush, but I spun twice (once was harmless right at the start because I stepped on the gas too hard , the other more serious in turn 6, probably because of a badly timed downshift) and so it was clear that track presented a higher risk profile, which in the end I decided was not (yet) for me. For various reasons, I was unable to compete the rest of the summer (injury plus, month long vacation/business trip). I Autocrossed 12 times the following year, and this year I am intending to *at least* match that. I'm also going to begin improving the setup of my car for autocross. One of the things that this will likely involve is messing with the alignment, and next year, I'll probably get stiffer springs, and double adjustable shocks... stiffer sway bar, etc. These things increase tire wear, and make the ride even bumpier as I understand it. I'm also considering adding a splitter to reduce the chances of cone damage to the front, which if it's not removable will further increase the problems with gas station entrances and such. If I ever got really competitive, the stereo and the AC and such would get axed for weight.

So my point is that you may want to consider that the suitability as a daily driver may change after you get it .

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

http://www.the111shift.com/p/the-build.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/the111shift

post #104 of 265 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 AM

Tire pump

A month ago I had picked up one of those tire pumps that runs off of the cigarette adapter. It has been in its original box, sliding around in the trunk since then.

On the weekend I jettisoned the box and then found a nice spot for the pump. It is now sitting comfortably in the cockpit area behind the passenger seat. I am quite pleased having it in that location.
post #105 of 265 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 PM

Driven daily, it's good for your flexibility. At first, you're dorky trying to get in and out, so you park really far away. Then you get to enter and exit your car rather elegantly and it's a good workout for your back and your knees!

1986 CitroŽn 2CV (the one that gets the most looks and questions)
2008 Ardent Red Lotus Elise 'California' Sold! So looking for a Carrera S.
post #106 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 05:13 AM

Great read, I had to laugh a lot. Just bought a 2005 Exige and your article sums everything up like it is. I am seriously looking forward to driving it (2-3 weeks)

the Netherlands say Hi,

iDD
post #107 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:23 PM

I say no! I'm not a fan of this being daily driven at all. I understand it is a less expensive sports car but I treat mine like I treat me other custom rides. It stays covered up, under carport brought out when it is nice and sunny. I can never see driving it in the rain, especiallly with how the vent ducts are in the hood and rear.
I think it takes away from the exotic/ luxury of one when I see someone driving it everyday...and I do where I'm at. That's me though...I mean no offense to anyone, I see it as a side toy to break out on a nice day and ride.
Cars like Corvettes and Mustangs are daily drivers....a dime a dozen ( no offense) I guess if the question was, ''Is it reliable as a daily driver?'' I would say yes but never encourage it.

''I got into the cab, the cab driver said: He recognized my girly from the back of her head.'' -BBoys
post #108 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprtfan View Post
I say no! I'm not a fan of this being daily driven at all. I understand it is a less expensive sports car but I treat mine like I treat me other custom rides. It stays covered up, under carport brought out when it is nice and sunny. I can never see driving it in the rain, especiallly with how the vent ducts are in the hood and rear.
I think it takes away from the exotic/ luxury of one when I see someone driving it everyday...and I do where I'm at. That's me though...I mean no offense to anyone, I see it as a side toy to break out on a nice day and ride.
Cars like Corvettes and Mustangs are daily drivers....a dime a dozen ( no offense) I guess if the question was, ''Is it reliable as a daily driver?'' I would say yes but never encourage it.
Perspective is interesting, owning an 09 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, of which 1150 were made before Pontiac tanked, I visit the Solstice forum from time to time. They think I'm crazy using my Solstice as a daily driver.

To them, they describe their Solstice's exactly as you describe your Lotus.

I think Exotic depends on one's spending power. Last year ran into a woman who had a 360 Modena Ferrari. Saw my car, and said she and her husband bought an Elise when they first came to the US. She said is was a fun, cute little car. One that you could drive anywhere and not worry about where to park it or if it got damaged, she said they are cheap to replace.

It's all perspective.

To me, the daily driver question is a practical one. It's also interesting how one defines a daily driver.

When somebody says..."Mine's a daily driver...but I have another car to drive in bad weather or when I need to go to Home Depot or when I need to carry people," then it's not a daily driver IMHO.

To me a daily driver is out of necessity your main/only form of transportation, and you HAVE to make use of it daily, regardless the purpose, errand, destination, weather, etc.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #109 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 02:55 PM
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusforsale View Post
Perspective is interesting

When somebody says..."Mine's a daily driver...but I have another car to drive in bad weather or when I need to go to Home Depot or when I need to carry people," then it's not a daily driver IMHO.
I drive my Elise Daily. Pretty much every day. I use my Audi only when I have 2+ passengers. I use my wife's Expedition only when I have 3+ passengers or I'm hauling something sizable (like all the wood I used to build a deck).

So:

Is my Audi A4 Quattro not a daily driver because:
* I don't drive it daily
or because:
* I need a supplemental vehicle (the expedition) for jobs the Audi can't handle (going to Lowes)

Is my Lotus Elise Type 72D not a daily driver (despite being driven daily) because:
* I need a supplemental vehicle (the expedition) for jobs the Elise can't handle (going to Lowes)

If my Audi (which has done under 2000 miles in the past 2 years) is a daily driver, and my Elise (16,000 miles) is not, I'm a little confused. If my wife's truck (maybe 4000mi between the two of us) is the only daily driver (10mpg!) I'm *really* confused. Never mind the Scooter my wife uses to get to/from the park and ride.

2007 Elise Type 72D #6 of 50
post #110 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:

So, under this logic anyone who owns two cars, each with a different purpose does not own a daily driver?
post #111 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Perspective is interesting, owning an 09 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, of which 1150 were made before Pontiac tanked, I visit the Solstice forum from time to time. They think I'm crazy using my Solstice as a daily driver.

To them, they describe their Solstice's exactly as you describe your Lotus.

I think Exotic depends on one's spending power. Last year ran into a woman who had a 360 Modena Ferrari. Saw my car, and said she and her husband bought an Elise when they first came to the US. She said is was a fun, cute little car. One that you could drive anywhere and not worry about where to park it or if it got damaged, she said they are cheap to replace.

It's all perspective.

To me, the daily driver question is a practical one. It's also interesting how one defines a daily driver.

To me a daily driver is out of necessity your main/only form of transportation, and you HAVE to make use of it daily, regardless the purpose, errand, destination, weather, etc.
I'm in 100% agreement, it's hard for me to really get out what I'm saying without contradiction. I also feel inclined to tell anyone whom is gawking at it if I'm out that it's a ''poor man's Ferrari.''
I don't over-baby it but I do try to keep it pampered.

''I got into the cab, the cab driver said: He recognized my girly from the back of her head.'' -BBoys
post #112 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 04:34 PM
ERP

Maybe it is not about your back-up vehicle options, but how you decide to use them.

Bad Weather:
Lotus – screw it, I know it can handle it – Daily driver
Beater Car – Just to be safe, I’ll take my old car – Not a Daily Driver

Friend Plus One:
Lotus – Sorry, bring your own car, you wont fit – Daily driver
Roomy Car – It will be polite if I put all my friends in one place – Not a Daily Driver

Construction Supplier, Large Items:
Lotus – I’m not going to do it, or, I’ll pay someone else to do it – Daily driver
Pickup/SUV – I prefer to do the work myself – Not a Daily Driver

Personally, I think my Elise can be a daily driver, but with my Saab (pickup) and wife’s Audi, I tend to do what is convenient.

2006 Chrome Orange Elise - 6.3 lbs/hp - MP-62 Supercharger, 3.2" Pulley, BOE Fast-Works Tune, Ported Head, MWR Stage 3 Cams, Penske Suspension, Cup Air Box, PPE Header with Catless Custom Twin Tip Exhaust, Fidanza Flywheel, ACT Clutch, MWR Water Pump + Alternator Pulley, 1900 lbs
Saab Turbo X, 415hp, 532 tq
Tesla S P85D - Wife's daily driver
post #113 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
It's all perspective.

So the other car that you only drive 15 days in bad weather and the 10 times you go to home depot a year is the daily driver. and the Lotus that you drive the other 340 isn't. I guess it is all perspective.

'06 Elise: Phantom Black, Touring, Starshield, Powder Coated Black Wheels,
'11 Evora S: Phantom black, '14 Jaguar F type silver
post #114 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 08:59 AM

Nook and Cranny

Wow. Just discovered another nook and cranny in the Elise.

Last week my wife and I went for a drive in the country. I had a few water bottles in the trunk. That's OK if you plan to stop once in a while. But you can get thirsty thinking about that water.

Yesterday I discovered that a normal 10 oz water bottle fits perfectly standing upright to the left rear of the driver's seat. I'm 5' 11" so I drive with the seat in the rear-most position. The bottle even tilts backwards a bit and that way doesn't tip. Ditto for the passenger side.

So now I can travel with two water bottles within reach.

Ironically my wife found the same day a side panel cover in the trunk of her Mazda 6, that when removed revealed a storage area about the size of a glove box. It could probably fit 10 water bottles. I'll contain my jealousy.
post #115 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:43 PM

I posted here about a year ago with some questions about daily driver etc. The input I received was very helpful. I had to wait on buying my 08 Lotus Exige as I deployed to Iraq and bought my wife a Jag for her B-day before I left. Well I am back and will be ready to buy about Oct/Nov this year. I have been following the prices and I see the 2008s have dropped into the low 50s and high 40s. Great! My question at this point is whether the 2009s are much better/different than the 2008s that I should just spend the extra cash and purchase a 2009 instead. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks......
post #116 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 11:04 PM

Exige S 240 daily drive

This is the perfect car for a daily drive It has 2 seats and I only use 1 so there's room for a friend too! Or even the missus with a small dog on her lap! If I go out with several friends we can't take my car because it's just not big enough so I have to go with them in their car - Guys this is the perfect car for going out because it stays in the garage and you get to drink because you are always a passenger.
No one and I mean no one ever asks you if they can borrow it so you never have to say no - that's a good thing!
You never have to pick people up from the airport because they have a suitcase and it won't fit in the boot! When they arrive (In the taxi) they stand and admire the bright orange Exige S 240 and wish they had one - honestly what more do you want out of a car? This is the best one I have ever had -
LOTUS - THE PERFECT DAILY DRIVE

Last edited by mhabits; 06-25-2010 at 11:14 PM.
post #117 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmanslaughter View Post
...I Great! My question at this point is whether the 2009s are much better/different than the 2008s that I should just spend the extra cash and purchase a 2009 instead. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks......
Hi Docman. I am moving from LA to Montana and have decided to sell my 08 Elise California. If you have any interest, PM me or email me at [email protected] for details and more photos.
Attached Images

1986 CitroŽn 2CV (the one that gets the most looks and questions)
2008 Ardent Red Lotus Elise 'California' Sold! So looking for a Carrera S.
post #118 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 AM

spent 8.5 hrs in traffic in my daily driven lotus exige yesterday. miserable. still love the car.
post #119 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:01 PM

Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomike View Post
Hi Docman. I am moving from LA to Montana and have decided to sell my 08 Elise California. If you have any interest, PM me or email me at [email protected] for details and more photos.
nice looking car but have my heart set on an Exige. thanks for the offer.
post #120 of 265 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Any Lotus can be used as an every day driver. Why would you think otherwise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in