The official, ONE AND ONLY, Can This Lotus Be Used As A Daily Driver thread - Page 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Back to the Future, again
 
Notorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: LaLaLand
Posts: 6,110
I drive in socal where it has reached pretty high temps, but nothing that bad. I know when I open my boot, I get a nice blast of hot air coming out. The carpeting seems fine.

The plastic protectant wouldn't help. It's the top layer that came off, as in like little paint chips, rather than scuffs. The original finish is dull and the bottom is shiny.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
Notorious is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #162 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered User
 
zuspiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLDean View Post
I've driven it in a medium rainfall and had only a few streaks of water run down the inside front part of both windows.
You sir are a proper Lotus driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
I drive in socal where it has reached pretty high temps, but nothing that bad. I know when I open my boot, I get a nice blast of hot air coming out. The carpeting seems fine.

The plastic protectant wouldn't help. It's the top layer that came off, as in like little paint chips, rather than scuffs. The original finish is dull and the bottom is shiny.
Same here. It's that "soft touch" 08+ interior... And you should never get in it with sunscreen on your legs...

9 months of ownership, 12.5k miles
zuspiel is offline  
post #163 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered User
 
chuck_risen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuspiel View Post
You sir are a proper Lotus driver!



Same here. It's that "soft touch" 08+ interior... And you should never get in it with sunscreen on your legs...

9 months of ownership, 12.5k miles
Ahh you have that fuzzy painted plastic. Makes more sense now. I was trying to figure out how injection molded PVC somehow delaminated. I don't have the fuzzy stuff and now I kind of feel glad I don't.
chuck_risen is offline  
 
post #164 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Back to the Future, again
 
Notorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: LaLaLand
Posts: 6,110
Ah. Didn't know they changed the material. Yes, it sucks and makes no sense to put it in high contact areas.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
Notorious is offline  
post #165 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered User
 
metrocube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_risen View Post
My boot doesn't get that hot ever.
Mine was the same until we started getting 100F-105F daily highs every day in Texas since June. The day time temperature in the boot would reach at least 140F, maybe 150F-- the breaker bar I keep in would get so hot that I couldn't hold it for more than about a second.

I used to have to raise the engine bay lid to vacate the heat in the boot after a drive. Now that we're back down the 90s, I don't feel as if I have to keep doing that.
metrocube is offline  
post #166 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Carbon Fiber
 
FistHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,637
FistHammer is offline  
post #167 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Jose
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistHammer View Post
Now THAT'S dedication.


I've been driving mine to work and school every day. ****ing love this car.
anon954821 is offline  
post #168 of 265 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:36 AM
Registered User
 
David Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistHammer View Post
You can take either the wife or her groceries.

At least the groceries don't adjust the A/C controls and vents after you've already set them up perfectly.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
David Craig is offline  
post #169 of 265 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:39 AM
Registered User
 
TheMarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jackson, TN
Posts: 80
Crazy to think I've only owned my Elise only 6 months now and I've put over 11,000 miles on her. Drive it every chance I get, so far it's seen both rain and snow (ice too!) and did perfect in all conditions. Still cleans up good as ever every weekend after 300 miles of work commutes .


Untitled by TheMarknessROCK, on Flickr

Untitled by TheMarknessROCK, on Flickr

2010 Lotus Evora 2+2 Metallica Silver | Sport Pack | CR Gearbox | Tech Pack | Premium Pack
TheMarkness is offline  
post #170 of 265 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Registered User
 
West oz loti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: west australia
Posts: 297
My spin on this car as a DD.

Lotus Elise SC with sports pack.

Noise, I don't believe it's that noisy. I had a Audi S3 with sunroof previously and with the windows down and sunroof open, just as noisy. Also had a Mini convertible some years back. just as noisy with the roof down. Soft tops are always going to be noisier. unless you are doing significant speed >65-70mph it's quite livable.

Ride, I was disappointed with the ride of the sport pack or LSS suspension, very harsh and wouldn't recommend it for DD. The standard suspension is suposed to be OK but most change to Nitrons, Quantum or Ohlins. The ride improves dramatically on coarse surfaces.

Space, this can be limiting, but planning is needed here which is obvious, but comparing this with the Audi, damage to the interior nappa leather and soft trim was always a problem. You don't worry about this with the Elise.

A/C works fine in my car, in fact I would say better than some big cars as the cabin is very small and cools quickly. (I live in Oz and it gets very hot here) I have heard some people in Florida struggle, I believe this may be due to the high humidity and the A/C freezes up.

Smoothness, You do feel like you are driving a car that maybe built 30 years ago, you feel the car every second you are driving it. It does not float along the road like a SUV. But this is why you buy it, the car does exactly what you tell it and the cornering speeds are just so much higher than many other so called sporty cars. It can be driven very smooth especially with the SC fitted due to the torque available, throttle response is amazing even with low RPM in sixth gear. Fuel ecomony is just amazing with a car of this performance.

Leaks, I have experienced some leaks with the soft top which have been adjusted by the dealer, as it is our summer here, I haven't had a heavy downpour to confirm it is leak proof. This can be fixed by fitting a hardtop which may be a future purchase for me.

Reliability,
Haven't had it that long but I have to admit I have had a number of failures occuring which have been fixed by the dealer. Maybe I got a friday car but now seems to be fine.

Body damage,
Any nice sports car you don't want to bang. My Audi S3 was the same hieight as the front of the Elise (std) and you need to be careful with kerbs etc. This would be the same with any performance car. So you just need to be that little more careful.

Vision to other driver.
Be aware of other cars mirrors, don't get to close behind high hipped cars. Always ensure you can see their rear mirror, otherwise they can't see you.

Blind spot
I really can't see what others are talking about. This car has fantastic vision. Just turn your head to the sides and there is only the seat and the rollbar. Very little blind spots. Most modern high hipped sedans are much worse. (unless they are talking about the Exige)

Entry/exit, yes you get good at it but passengers no, can be a thumbs down for some people.

Electronic gadgets which are now std on most modern models are in short supply with the Elise. Seats need to be manually/modified adjusted (mine was for rake)

interior lighting
boot and interior is poor

Wet weather driving (no snow here EVER)
I find it drives like any rear wheel drive car in wet conditions, better than a ute or pickup. just don't be stupid with it. (have Yokos AD07s fitted)

Seats
firm but comfortable, I fitted sheepskins as the grip material on the side of the Probaxs can destroy your jeans. It grips and rips studs off. Especially if you swivel in the seat. Plus the sheepskins quiet the cab and reallly improve the seat comfort.

The bottom line is once you are in and the car is moving it does feel good. something direct about this car that is just nice. You feel your driving it whilst many other cars you feel your steering it. Hard to explain but something just nice.

Last edited by West oz loti; 02-26-2012 at 10:03 PM.
West oz loti is offline  
post #171 of 265 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered User
 
zuspiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 693
Excellent writeup

Very much reflects my experience (16k miles in a year, also Elise SC).

Amen to Nitrons over the LSS. Much, much better on the street (and the track ;-)

I found the AO48s too scary in the rain, especially when it's somewhat cold. Changed them for Dunlop Star Specs at the first chance I got. A bit less grip in the dry but much less scary in the wet.
zuspiel is offline  
post #172 of 265 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Registered User
 
David Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by West oz loti View Post
My spin on this car as a DD.

Lotus Elise SC with sports pack.

Noise, I don't believe it's that noisy. I had a Audi S3 with sunroof previously and with the windows down and sunroof open, just as noisy. Also had a Mini convertible some years back. just as noisy with the roof down. Soft tops are always going to be noisier. unless you are doing significant speed >65-70mph it's quite livable.

Ride, I was disappointed with the ride of the sport pack or LSS suspension, very harsh and wouldn't recommend it for DD. The standard suspension is suposed to be OK but most change to Nitrons, Quantum or Ohlins. The ride improves dramatically on coarse surfaces.

Space, this can be limiting, but planning is needed here which is obvious, but comparing this with the Audi, damage to the interior nappa leather and soft trim was always a problem. You don't worry about this with the Elise.

A/C works fine in my car, in fact I would say better than some big cars as the cabin is very small and cools quickly. (I live in Oz and it gets very hot here) I have heard some people in Florida struggle, I believe this may be due to the high humidity and the A/C freezes up.

Smoothness, You do feel like you are driving a car that maybe built 30 years ago, you feel the car every second you are driving it. It does not float along the road like a SUV. But this is why you buy it, the car does exactly what you tell it and the cornering speeds are just so much higher than many other so called sporty cars. It can be driven very smooth especially with the SC fitted due to the torque available, throttle response is amazing even with low RPM in sixth gear. Fuel ecomony is just amazing with a car of this performance.

Leaks, I have experienced some leaks with the soft top which have been adjusted by the dealer, as it is our summer here, I haven't had a heavy downpour to confirm it is leak proof. This can be fixed by fitting a hardtop which may be a future purchase for me.

Reliability,
Haven't had it that long but I have to admit I have had a number of failures occuring which have been fixed by the dealer. Maybe I got a friday car but now seems to be fine.

Body damage,
Any nice sports car you don't want to bang. My Audi S3 was the same hieight as the front of the Elise (std) and you need to be careful with kerbs etc. This would be the same with any performance car. So you just need to be that little more careful.

Vision to other driver.
Be aware of other cars mirrors, don't get to close behind high hipped cars. Always ensure you can see their rear mirror, otherwise they can't see you.

Blind spot
I really can't see what others are talking about. This car has fantastic vision. Just turn your head to the sides and there is only the seat and the rollbar. Very little blind spots. Most modern high hipped sedans are much worse. (unless they are talking about the Exige)

Entry/exit, yes you get good at it but passengers no, can be a thumbs down for some people.

Electronic gadgets which are now std on most modern models are in short supply with the Elise. Seats need to be manually/modified adjusted (mine was for rake)

interior lighting
boot and interior is poor

Wet weather driving (no snow here EVER)
I find it drives like any rear wheel drive car in wet conditions, better than a ute or pickup. just don't be stupid with it.

Seats
firm but comfortable, I fitted sheepskins as the grip material on the side of the Probaxs can destroy your jeans. It grips and rips studs off. Especially if you swivel in the seat. Plus the sheepskins quiet the cab and reallly improve the seat comfort.

The bottom line is once you are in and the car is moving it does feel good. something direct about this car that is just nice. You feel your driving it whilst many other cars you feel your steering it. Hard to explain but something just nice.
+1. Good write up.

The only other thing I'd add is that if you drive it every day you get addicted to all the smiles and thumbs up the car generates. You almost feel like a celebrity.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
David Craig is offline  
post #173 of 265 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Back to the Future, again
 
Notorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: LaLaLand
Posts: 6,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
+1. Good write up.

The only other thing I'd add is that if you drive it every day you get addicted to all the smiles and thumbs up the car generates. You almost feel like a celebrity.
In LA, you feel like a target too. Kinda hinky driving through certain neighborhoods.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
Notorious is offline  
post #174 of 265 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Carbon Fiber
 
FistHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,637
Down town new york it would get hit in 15 mins...

If brute force is not working you're not using enough.
FistHammer is offline  
post #175 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2
I am planning to get a Series 1 Elise which is 12 years old, any opinions from S1 owners here in using it as a daily driver?
Ack_0220 is offline  
post #176 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 02:48 AM
Registered User
 
David Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,847
Regarding the S1, there is an Australian guy currently touring the USA/Canada in an S1. He has been driving for a few months in his S1.

Try "Giles Cooper Lotus" on google. That should convince you it can be a daily driver.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
David Craig is offline  
post #177 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4
okay so... that answered just about all of my questions. but is anyone 6'2" or taller? I'm wondering about my overall comfort getting into and out of the car. do you think that will be a torments challenge? or something i could get over?

i currently drive an h1 and i hated getting into that at first. but now i do it like second nature. any feedback would be nice.
lotus2010 is offline  
post #178 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Back to the Future, again
 
Notorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: LaLaLand
Posts: 6,110
The H1 and S2 are about as night and day as you can get in passenger cars.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
Notorious is offline  
post #179 of 265 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Registered User
 
Wrecked Em's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In a box outside of nowhere.
Posts: 143
I am 6'3" and drove my Elise as a DD for just under a year. I enjoyed every bit of the 20k miles I put on the car in that time. Other than being limited if you stop off at the store I had no issues. I miss the thumbs up and comments on a daily basis, now I only get those on the weekends.
Wrecked Em is offline  
post #180 of 265 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver area
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRY View Post
It can be a daily driver. But it is NOT a family car.
This is half the reason I bought it, I have a Prius for this
namoom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome