Pondering my odds of finding a BRG/LRG Elise... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
08 Elise SC
 
WERM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 142
Pondering my odds of finding a BRG/LRG Elise...

So 06-10MY appears to be a pool of about 1500 cars. If I assume 5% are BRG/LRG, that would mean about 75 BRG/LRG cars exist. I'll then assume that 50% of them are heavily modified, high mileage, or beat up in some fashion. Leaving me with 34.5->35 candidate cars. If I assume 3% of Lotus Elises are on sale at any given time, that should still leave me with 1.05 of cars on the market at any given time. However, I've been looking for a while now and haven't had any luck locating one. Are my assumptions way off?

It seems like there are a few cars floating around in Silver, which I really don't care for, but at least it isn't fluorescent. I'm just wondering if I should just go ahead and pick one of those up. If I did that and a BRG/LRG one came up shortly thereafter, I'd be seriously annoyed with myself.
WERM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Registered User
 
jwb4bb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lenexa KS
Posts: 488
I guess I got lucky and stumbled into mine. I happened to find it on this forum in July. My guess is that more will come up for sale this summer, which is when I bought mine. Mine is the only one in Kansas City, that I know of. And if you get BRG with biscuit interior, you'll get lots of compliments.
jwb4bb is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Abe
Registered User
 
Abe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERM View Post
So 06-10MY appears to be a pool of about 1500 cars. If I assume 5% are BRG/LRG, that would mean about 75 BRG/LRG cars exist. I'll then assume that 50% of them are heavily modified, high mileage, or beat up in some fashion. Leaving me with 34.5->35 candidate cars. If I assume 3% of Lotus Elises are on sale at any given time, that should still leave me with 1.05 of cars on the market at any given time. However, I've been looking for a while now and haven't had any luck locating one. Are my assumptions way off?

It seems like there are a few cars floating around in Silver, which I really don't care for, but at least it isn't fluorescent. I'm just wondering if I should just go ahead and pick one of those up. If I did that and a BRG/LRG one came up shortly thereafter, I'd be seriously annoyed with myself.
Your numbers are a bit off.

"Racing Green" was available in 2005 only while "British Racing Green" became available from '06 to present. Also, from '06 to present, I'd be surprise if Lotus brought in more than 1000 Elise's total to North America minus 200 or so of those cars going to Canada making your quest understandably difficult. That said, I do have a 2011 BRG Elise that came in which was an ordered car that fell thru


Best regards,
Abe Reyes

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
Abe is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
08 Elise SC
 
WERM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 142
I actually have my total numbers on pretty good authority. I just don't know the other pieces (% green, etc.).

2011MY Would be sweet, but that's a bit out of my comfort zone.
WERM is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Registered User
 
Zinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 592
Racing Green (or Lotus Racing Green) is a dark metallic green available between 2005-2007. British Racing Green is a non-metallic dark green available from 2006 to the end of production. Both are very nice. BRG is more common than LRG in the later years.

If you are patient, one will show up, but odds are you will have to travel to find a nice one. Here is a shot of my Exige in British Racing Green.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Zinhead; 06-06-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Zinhead is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered User
 
Uncle Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Rockville, Maryland
Posts: 2,635
Why have you ruled out the 2005 model year? There will be many more LRG (metallic green) cars available out of the 2400 or so Elises brought in during the 2005 model year designation which ran from Fall 2004 into 2005.
Uncle Sam is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
08 Elise SC
 
WERM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
Why have you ruled out the 2005 model year? There will be many more LRG (metallic green) cars available out of the 2400 or so Elises brought in during the 2005 model year designation which ran from Fall 2004 into 2005.
I guess my logic works out as follows:

I'd rather have the better seats, tail lamps, drive by wire and quite simply I'd rather buy one that is "newer" than 6 years old. Also, it seems like some of the earlier cars had issues with cams wearing out. I'd like to avoid that, if possible. And lastly, while I'd snap up a good LRG car in a second, I do prefer BRG to it. But I suppose If I don't find one sometime reasonably soon I'll have to compromise somehow, either on the model year or color. I'm wasting my summer!
WERM is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
08 Elise SC
 
WERM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinhead View Post
Here is a shot of my Exige in British Racing Green.
For my sanity, please do not post pictures like that in this thread.
WERM is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Registered User
 
XHILR8N!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2 laps down
Posts: 6,791
Garage
Have you seen both in person? I wanted LRG and found one (Ebay) in Texas back 4 years ago. Also wanted the tan interior, sooo many are black.
Of course a lot of all that has been redone these years and 6000 track miles later.

Name:  calender cwc.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  236.4 KB

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
XHILR8N! is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 170
Hey Werm, have you seen this?

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-green-102253/

Jason
amazingjason is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
08 Elise SC
 
WERM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingjason View Post
Hey Werm, have you seen this?

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-green-102253/

Jason
Yeah. I PM'd him. I was looking low mileage, but it's the right color and it does seem to be priced right. BTW, I don't know what your budget is or if you are still looking, but there is a bright blue 06 elise on ebay/autotrader right now, very similar to Gimme's car other than the color, exhaust and lack of LSD.
WERM is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
08 Elise SC
 
WERM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRTHTAKR View Post
Have you seen both in person? I wanted LRG and found one (Ebay) in Texas back 4 years ago. Also wanted the tan interior, sooo many are black.
Of course a lot of all that has been redone these years and 6000 track miles later.

Attachment 167244
I have seen both in person and they both work for me. Dark green is kind of an unintentional theme of mine. My first fun car was dark green and now 20 years later I'm on my 4th dark green fun car. I never really sought green cars out, but I've always had one, so I'm used to it. Since they made the Elise in that color, it's my preference. Plus, it's a pattern that occurs on a 10 year interval:

1991: Buy Green Classic Car (My first car! My dad still has it!)
2001: Buy Green Toy Car (Still Have it)
2011: Buy Elise in the color....

The cars that I bought outside of the interval I ended up not keeping. And my "non-fun" cars (I put that in quotes because our current family truckster is a WRX) have never been green.

We'll see how long I can hold out. The weather today was great, and I have no removable roof panels on my cars.
WERM is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERM View Post
BTW, I don't know what your budget is or if you are still looking, but there is a bright blue 06 elise on ebay/autotrader right now, very similar to Gimme's car other than the color, exhaust and lack of LSD.
If you're talking about the Polar Blue/Magnolia in Colorado, yes I am in contact with the owner (a 28 year old). He gave me more details and e-mailed about 30 pictures. The front clam and radiator have been replaced, it has a 6 inch scratch on the rear fender, the power locks don't work, it doesn't have starshield, one rear tire is shot, and it has the sport suspension, which I don't want. I don't think it is worth travelling to check it out, but it does look beautiful in the pictures. I would only go if he came way down in price.

Oh, and I had a WRX, too.

Jason
amazingjason is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 45
Maybe it's just me but in my search over the last year or two the only BRG Elise's I've seen have been the 60th Anniversary editions. However, LRG seem to be relatively common place.
rtg54 is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Registered User
 
Grunschev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg54 View Post
Maybe it's just me but in my search over the last year or two the only BRG Elise's I've seen have been the 60th Anniversary editions. However, LRG seem to be relatively common place.
I bought my BRG '06 on this forum 13 months ago. The previous owner listed it here the previous July (or maybe it was August), so it was available for 10 months. I don't understand how I ended up with it. I assumed it was that nobody likes BRG.

I was looking for CO or SY or KG. Hadn't even considered BRG and thought it didn't look good in the pictures. I decided to buy it in spite of the color because it had the equipment I wanted. But I couldn't be happier with the color. Everybody tells me they love the color, especially now that I've painted the wheels yellow.

So even though I failed to hold out for the color I wanted, I advise you to hold out for BRG.

And sorry to test the OP's sanity by posting another picture
Attached Images
 
Grunschev is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
08 Elise SC
 
WERM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingjason View Post
If you're talking about the Polar Blue/Magnolia in Colorado, yes I am in contact with the owner (a 28 year old). He gave me more details and e-mailed about 30 pictures. The front clam and radiator have been replaced, it has a 6 inch scratch on the rear fender, the power locks don't work, it doesn't have starshield, one rear tire is shot, and it has the sport suspension, which I don't want. I don't think it is worth travelling to check it out, but it does look beautiful in the pictures. I would only go if he came way down in price.

Oh, and I had a WRX, too.

Jason
Jason,

I was actually talking about this one: 2006 Lotus Elise TOURING PKG. Dallas, Texas | TEXAS IMPORT SALES

It's currently listed as "pending" which I suppose means somebody is working out a deal. I was really thinking about that one. The condition looks great from the photos, and fluorescent blue is much less bright than the krypton green/yellow/orange/red. Now I'm kind of thinking about two other cars (Orange or Silver) but just can't do it (yet). They are perfect other than color, but I keep thinking the perfect LRG/BRG car will pop up and I'll have a chance at it....or perhaps a dark blue or burgundy car. The BRG that's currently for sale in the forums is going to be traded in on Friday. I have no way to get to Colorado that quickly.
WERM is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 170
No, I hadn't seen that one. It looks fantastic. The only things going against it are:

location
black interior, but not a deal killer
very top of my price range, and they list it as their "Internet Price", so they may be firm
may already be sold

Thanks for the heads up.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERM View Post
Jason,

I was actually talking about this one: 2006 Lotus Elise TOURING PKG. Dallas, Texas | TEXAS IMPORT SALES

It's currently listed as "pending" which I suppose means somebody is working out a deal. I was really thinking about that one. The condition looks great from the photos, and fluorescent blue is much less bright than the krypton green/yellow/orange/red. Now I'm kind of thinking about two other cars (Orange or Silver) but just can't do it (yet). They are perfect other than color, but I keep thinking the perfect LRG/BRG car will pop up and I'll have a chance at it....or perhaps a dark blue or burgundy car. The BRG that's currently for sale in the forums is going to be traded in on Friday. I have no way to get to Colorado that quickly.
amazingjason is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunschev View Post
I bought my BRG '06 on this forum 13 months ago. The previous owner listed it here the previous July (or maybe it was August), so it was available for 10 months.
I never said mine was a very thorough search.
rtg54 is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14
I saw this thread and after months of lurking decided to join to see if I could help out.

There's a green Elise at Patriot Subaru in Saco Maine (about a 5 hour drive from Northern Jersey). They don't have it listed online but they do have it parked on the sidewalk in front of the dealership.

I don't know about the price or the condition but if you are REALLY interested in it, I could stop by and ask a few questions. Right now, all I know about it is that it's the green you want.
Airplay355 is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Registered User
 
estabahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 358
There's the LRG in the Lotus cars fir sale section as well
estabahn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome