Super Rare Elise in Reno - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Super Rare Elise in Reno

Just bought it....thought I'd share my new-to-me RARE car.

Just kidding. It's a base Elise.
Bought from Rob at Deitsch Werks in San Jose. Sorry for lame pic but it's really all I have online right now.
28k miles
Never tracked or AUTO X (that won't last)
Pretty much stock except a couple of odd and ends
Purchased new Rotas and Rob gave me some DOT R-comps for them
Rob went through the car performing all service: bushings, fluids and addressing anything else needing updated

REALLY HAPPY with Rob and the Deitsch Werks guys.

I love driving this car and look forward to each weekend with it. The deal was to sell my Boxster first. I can't make somebody buy it.

First track day scheduled for Sept 28. I trusted the Boxster because I had plenty of seat time. I am gonna take the day a little slower to really give myself a chance to understand the car when it speaks to me.
Attached Images

05 Elise AR w/Katana II SOLD
99 M3 track and daily driven
06 Cayman S track-prepped
08 Sequoia winter/tow rig
06 RX400h
65 Covair Corsa

Post count low because I search first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 12:11 PM

Garage
Welcome to the family...and have "fun" on that first track day. My car talked to me this last weekend at an autox event...and sadly I was to slow to listen. So that equalled to 2 spins on two seperate runs...back to back in the same place. Go fig.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 PM

Congrats! Indeed it is a rare car that Rob did not track or autox... than again they already have a pretty good fleet for that sort of thing.

BTW- which track will you be hitting up? The week before Lotus Cup will be doing Sears Point (I'll be there for a HPDE).

Last edited by LarryB; 09-10-2013 at 12:43 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. A bit of irony: after subjecting myself to years and years of owning a Land Rover(s) I had SWORN OFF Brit cars. I was dead set on buying a Cayman S and this happened...

I rode in a buddy's Elise on a track day and it sewed the seed. Did more research and here we are.

I had a stroke of luck as I was picking up it up from SJ a few weeks ago. Initially I was pretty bummed because I drove down to pick it up and as I was getting ready to leave it threw a code. It ended up needing a new cam. I couldn't leave with my car that day but a few days later it was done and ready roll. Evidently this was one of those that had the metallurgy problem. Glad it happened before I got on the road all the way back to Reno.

06 RX400h
65 Covair Corsa

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Race & Pamper

Enjoy and get to know the car really well!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukhtar View Post
Enjoy and get to know the car really well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB View Post
BTW- which track will you be hitting up? The week before Lotus Cup will be doing Sears Point (I'll be there for a HPDE).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
Welcome to the family...and have "fun" on that first track day. My car talked to me this last weekend at an autox event...and sadly I was to slow to listen. So that equalled to 2 spins on two seperate runs...back to back in the same place. Go fig.
Thanks again and I will look for a Rosetta Stone for Lotus so I don't miss any cues!
Will be hitting our home track here, Reno Fernley Raceway, it's pretty close and I have run it several times. Welcome to the Official Website of Reno Fernley Raceway

Great configurations available but certainly some surface issues. I really want to hit T-Hill! I need to source a trailer so I can bring extra wheels so I don't wear out these Exclusive Awesome OEM $$ tires. Track tires just make more sense -to me, anyway.

06 RX400h
65 Covair Corsa

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Welcome and congratulations!

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 PM

Congrats, rob is the man. Saw ur elise in dietsch werks. Our Elise pretty much identical except the freshly installed sc.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 03:14 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Welcome to the forum!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the warm welcome, guys.
A somewhat rare vehicle and a decent group of owners. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Porsche club but this is a smaller group and not as stuffy. -And clearly not as many purists. I fell in love with aftermarket while in the Land Rover community. Jesus, those things had issues.

Nice buy on the SC. My next mod is hopefully a car hauler! I pretty much blew the wad on the car and made it even more difficult by not selling the old one so I expect a good wait on buying anything else.

06 RX400h
65 Covair Corsa

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Welcome to the Lotus track family. If you liked the Boxster, it'll soon be a distant memory. These cars are easy to race and very forgiving. Enjoy!

Sometimes you have to go in circles to move forward.
05 Elise NA
- 2009 Lotus Challenge Series NA Mod champion
- 2010 Lotus Challenge Series Superstock champion
- 2012 Lotus Cup Open Class 2nd Place

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 08:03 PM

Garage
Lol at your title. I read it and thought, a rare elise in Reno?!? No way someone did another K20 swap here...
I have yet to get mine on the road since the swap, always seems like something comes up But I am trying to get it out before the end of the auto cross season so we may bump into each other if you are planning on making any of those events. If you've been out to the Reno Region auto X we've probably seen each other, I was in the silver wrx wagon with the sti swap.
I had a poor impression of Rob. His shop was awesome but I was not happy with the business I did with him. It seems to be an isolated incident but I'm always 100% courteous and professional so I'm not thinking it was on my end, I've been in the customer service industry for nearly 20yrs so needless to say, I won't be going back.
Congrats on your purchase!! This is a prime area for such a great handling car, you will LOVE IT!!
On a funny side note, I've been eyeballing a Land rover for some time now. You'd think I would have learned my lesson after 2 elises.

Stuff sold by the gram is always more exciting than stuff sold by the pound. -JC
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by one11 View Post
Lol at your title. I read it and thought, a rare elise in Reno?!? No way someone did another K20 swap here...
I have yet to get mine on the road since the swap, always seems like something comes up But I am trying to get it out before the end of the auto cross season so we may bump into each other if you are planning on making any of those events. If you've been out to the Reno Region auto X we've probably seen each other, I was in the silver wrx wagon with the sti swap.
I had a poor impression of Rob. His shop was awesome but I was not happy with the business I did with him. It seems to be an isolated incident but I'm always 100% courteous and professional so I'm not thinking it was on my end, I've been in the customer service industry for nearly 20yrs so needless to say, I won't be going back.
Congrats on your purchase!! This is a prime area for such a great handling car, you will LOVE IT!!
On a funny side note, I've been eyeballing a Land rover for some time now. You'd think I would have learned my lesson after 2 elises.
Hey there! I think I've seen you in Stead for AutoX -only as I observed. I haven't run and AutoX here and mainly stick to the track. However, I have considered running the Boxster before it's sold.

Glad to see another Lotus in town even though it's undergoing major surgery. I look forward to seeing the result. Our last track event (with SCCA) is Sept 28 at RFR. I'll be there racing in Club Trials. Even if you don't make it I'd like to talk with you anyway, maybe at Stead? Also interested in hearing your Dietsch story as well as trying my best to talk you out of a Land Rover lol.

Your pics show an FJ80; why wouldn't you stick with that!? If I ever do the off-road thing again it'll be the LX450.

06 RX400h
65 Covair Corsa

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 07:14 PM

Garage
Well, that more than sucks!! I thought we had one more event in Oct, just checked the site and seen it was canceled, thanks for the heads up!! I'll shoot ya a pm for other details.
Pic with the FJ was from the PO, wouldn't mind having one of those either I was keeping my eye open for something that could tow the lotus to events but still do double duty as a camping/wheeling rig. Not so sure the I6 in most of the cruisers would be up to the task of towing over Donner. Looking at maybe an old K5 Blazer, the 350 should do the job and I won't argue with the removable top. The LR was going to be the back up if I couldn't sell my S2000, I was going to trade it in on a LR or RR. Something about the Disco just draws me in.

Stuff sold by the gram is always more exciting than stuff sold by the pound. -JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in