2014 F1 - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Registered User
 
fitfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Diego!
Posts: 7,116
Australian GP: Red Bull insists Ricciardo fuel-flow rate was legal - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
fitfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Registered User
 
Almighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: purgatory
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
Bummer, double DNFs

BUT, Lotus was the most reliable of the unreliable cars!

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
Almighty is offline  
post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered User
 
fitfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Diego!
Posts: 7,116
i am more impressed by how many cars finished...

what a cock up - the FIA has lost it....

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
fitfan is offline  
 
post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Plug Whisperer
 
turbophil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kansas City/ Overland Park
Posts: 6,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
i am more impressed by how many cars finished...

what a cock up - the FIA has lost it....
I don't disagree, but which part are you specifically referring to as the cock up?

I know is superficial and has been mentioned many times, but the sound is so awfully underwhelming.

Has anyone compared laptimes to 2013? Just curious...

-PV


Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

____________________________________________

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice


BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning


Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
turbophil is offline  
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Registered User
 
Almighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: purgatory
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
I don't disagree, but which part are you specifically referring to as the cock up?

I know is superficial and has been mentioned many times, but the sound is so awfully underwhelming.

Has anyone compared laptimes to 2013? Just curious...

-PV
[source F1.com]

Australian Grand Prix 2013
Fastest lap:
Kimi Räikkönen Lotus-Renault 1:29.274

Australian Grand Prix 2014
Fastest lap:
Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:32.478

That's about... not quite half a life time in racing terms.

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
Almighty is offline  
post #46 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Plug Whisperer
 
turbophil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kansas City/ Overland Park
Posts: 6,294
Agree....Although, pretty amazing that they're so similar despite such fantastic spec changes with new tires, "power units" instead of engines, and downforce (less of it)...

-PV


Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

____________________________________________

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice


BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning


Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
turbophil is offline  
post #47 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered User
 
fitfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Diego!
Posts: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
I don't disagree, but which part are you specifically referring to as the cock up?
the way the cars sound and look - IMO - is irrelevant. what matter to me is why the engineers make the cars look and sound the way they do. what the FIA has done is "spec'd" so much in detail and COMPONENTS on the cars that now - the teams are not struggling to find the optimized "configuration of a formula" its a race to see how can integrate the FIA spec components into a package.

"here is your buckets of parts you HAVE to use. can't change anything. the only thing you get to do is build the car from the parts we say you can use"

if the FIA wanted an efficiency formula they should just give the teams the 130 or whatever liters of fuel. and say. v-12? turbo 3 cyl and 200 lbs of batteries? 14 speed gearbox? you figure it out - thats all the fuel you get - figure out the fastest way around the track - now go innovate!

after 2 years a very obvious optimal "spec" would start to appear from that "formula" instead of the FIA dictating some random pre-cooked spec of components.

the aero/body regulations vs the engine (power unit) should have been split into 2 years IMO.

i predict a lot of infractions and protest. because the FIA is mandating a performance spec, by mandating a prescriptive spec... and it doesn't work that way if the prescriptive component doesn't meet the performance requirement - everyone is automatically cheating this year.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
fitfan is offline  
post #48 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Registered User
 
fitfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Diego!
Posts: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Agree....Although, pretty amazing that they're so similar despite such fantastic spec changes with new tires, "power units" instead of engines, and downforce (less of it)...

-PV
time had pretty big gaps, not similar (IMO) - as would be expected with everyone at radically different stages, in different areas, of development....

as the year goes on its should stand to reason that times will get very tight - as everyone will be on the same tightly defined and provided component specification. spec racing is close racing. thats what the FIA is trying to do (veiled in "green")

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
fitfan is offline  
post #49 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Registered User
 
XHILR8N!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2 laps down
Posts: 6,758
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
the way the cars sound and look - IMO - is irrelevant. what matter to me is why the engineers make the cars look and sound the way they do. what the FIA has done is "spec'd" so much in detail and COMPONENTS on the cars that now - the teams are not struggling to find the optimized "configuration of a formula" its a race to see how can integrate the FIA spec components into a package.

"here is your buckets of parts you HAVE to use. can't change anything. the only thing you get to do is build the car from the parts we say you can use"

if the FIA wanted an efficiency formula they should just give the teams the 130 or whatever liters of fuel. and say. v-12? turbo 3 cyl and 200 lbs of batteries? 14 speed gearbox? you figure it out - thats all the fuel you get - figure out the fastest way around the track - now go innovate!

after 2 years a very obvious optimal "spec" would start to appear from that "formula" instead of the FIA dictating some random pre-cooked spec of components.

the aero/body regulations vs the engine (power unit) should have been split into 2 years IMO.

i predict a lot of infractions and protest. because the FIA is mandating a performance spec, by mandating a prescriptive spec... and it doesn't work that way if the prescriptive component doesn't meet the performance requirement - everyone is automatically cheating this year.
Yep

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
XHILR8N! is offline  
post #50 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:48 AM
Registered User
 
turblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 296
turblow is offline  
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 07:36 AM
Arch. Project Manager
 
surferpkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sarasota, FL.
Posts: 1,090
I prefer the Lotus asymmetrical take better than the other appendage nosed cars though.
The sound is definitely a disappointment at the least...

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.

Last edited by surferpkt; 03-20-2014 at 07:42 AM.
surferpkt is offline  
post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Julian73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Longview, TX
Posts: 4,361
Garage
No comments on the KL race? Hey, in the special crippled car GP category, Grosjean at least beat Kimi and they both finished.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**

Last edited by Julian73; 03-31-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Julian73 is online now  
post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Abe
Registered User
 
Abe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 3,871
What's the deal with Vettle?

Although Seb is still ahead on points, Ricciardo seems to be the better driver. This is twice now that Seb has been ordered to step aside for the quicker Aussie. Some are questioning that it was the car all along and that this is proof. Myself, I think it's way too early to tell and we know that some drivers take a little bit to adjust to a new car than others. I'm not sold on Ferrari just yet but I am sold that Alonso is the better driver...don't know what's going on with Kimi

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
Abe is offline  
post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Registered User
 
Almighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: purgatory
Posts: 711
Hey, Kimi knows what he's doing.

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
Almighty is offline  
post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 AM
Registered User
 
turblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe View Post
Although Seb is still ahead on points, Ricciardo seems to be the better driver. This is twice now that Seb has been ordered to step aside for the quicker Aussie. Some are questioning that it was the car all along and that this is proof. Myself, I think it's way too early to tell and we know that some drivers take a little bit to adjust to a new car than others. I'm not sold on Ferrari just yet but I am sold that Alonso is the better driver...don't know what's going on with Kimi
turblow is offline  
post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Registered User
 
Formulabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by turblow View Post
That is a good one! . .

2008 Solar Yellow Exige S240 (Torque 300)
1991 Elan M100
2015 Cayman GTS
2016 Ford Flex--Tow Vehicle
Formulabob is offline  
post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Julian73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Longview, TX
Posts: 4,361
Garage
Romain is showing the form of last year to run with the (2nd Tier) Top a Dogs. Mercedes remaining untouchable lapping well into the points cars.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**
Julian73 is online now  
post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:14 PM
shay2nak
 
shay2nak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calipornia
Posts: 24,900
Thanks to sh*tty Fox sports, they're not repeating this race, so i will never be able to watch. I only got to watch qualies.

** save ~10 lbs gain 1 hp ** EQ: Y=(190*X) / (1984-X) where Y is (HP) and X is (lbs)

'07 Lotus Exige S310


WTC 2
shay2nak is offline  
post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Registered User
 
addertooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,631
Yep, if you don't watch it at the crack of dawn, you have to watch it on the Spanish speaking channel.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline  
post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 07:30 PM
shay2nak
 
shay2nak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calipornia
Posts: 24,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
Yep, if you don't watch it at the crack of dawn, you have to watch it on the Spanish speaking channel.
they always repeat the race at 11am or 730pm-ish. Sometimes a 3rd time on Mondays, but this is the first one they didn't repeat AT ALL.

What channel is the spanish one? Probably too late already.

** save ~10 lbs gain 1 hp ** EQ: Y=(190*X) / (1984-X) where Y is (HP) and X is (lbs)

'07 Lotus Exige S310


WTC 2
shay2nak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > The Racing Den

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome