24 Hours of Lemons racing! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

24 Hours of Lemons racing!

I thought we could use a thread for this highly competitive form of (budget) racing. The race schedule for 2009 comes out tomorrow. We are hoping to attend as many as four races! We had a two car team last year that is expanding to three or four cars in 2009. Last year we ran a 1987 Corolla FX16 and an 1982 Audi Quattro. Results were mixed, and in the last race we both wound up not running at the end. The Corolla has been reconstructed and will see the track in 2009. The Audi, hmmm. Time will tell.

Here is the Corolla:

For 2009, I also bought two other cars as potential Lemons victims next year. First, a Citation we actually autocrossed last weekend ($300):
The passenger seat broke out of the floorboard on this run, so the passenger is practically laying down! we will strengthen the driver's side fllor before installing a race seat. This car is an X-11, the hopped up Citation with a cowl induction V6/4 speed. It should be an excellent candidate.

The other car I purchased was a Miata, but it appears to be too nice to run in a Lemons race and they would probably assign too many BS points too us regardless of what I've actually spent. The car was $900, I'm adding a clutch but sold the hardtop for $1,050. So technically it qualifies easily, but they still probably won't believe it.

Our team is also working on an MR2. More on that later.

What are your teams doing? Shoe your pics and tell your stories!

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 AM
rnr

We'll be running our 4th Lemons race in December. I've posted other ET threads on our races/prep and you can also read about it on my blog at 24 Hours of Lemons (by The Racing Geek)

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
V8 Stalker (Seven Replica)
02 Dodge Viper GTS
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:20 AM

At the rate our cars depreciates, we can use our Lotus for next year's race!

Richard

'13 Scion FR-S (Whiteout)
'07 Lotus Exige S (Aspen White) Touring, Traction, Starshield
'95 Miata (Montego Blue)

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjer View Post
The other car I purchased was a Miata, but it appears to be too nice to run in a Lemons race and they would probably assign too many BS points too us regardless of what I've actually spent. The car was $900, I'm adding a clutch but sold the hardtop for $1,050. So technically it qualifies easily, but they still probably won't believe it.
It's hard to justify a $500 value for ANY Miata as the spec racing series provides so many buyers that just about any Miata in any condition will fetch more than $500.

During our Lemons race the Miata was pulled out and crushed.

A big reason: Everybody felt like it was a cheater car because it HAD to be worth more than $500. Another reason: They were bump drafting.

Soooo..... Miata + aggressive driving = crushed Miata

For this reason alone, I'd not do a Miata.

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
-- Laurence J. Peter

Last edited by RichS; 12-31-2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: speeeeeling
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Trust me, we read all the same stuff on the crushed Miata. I (seriously) have a negative cost of ($8) in the car right now, because I got ther clutch for $142 and the local vo-tech school is installing it for free (not quite free, I have to bring by the Elise for a show and tell). But again, no one will believe the Miata was really free. After I clean it up, it should fetch $2,000 easy, so I will probably just sell it to fund other projects. Or toodle around in it a bit, who knows.

Jer
2006 Elise
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car

Last edited by Surferjer; 11-17-2008 at 08:32 AM.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Funny thing about the Citation: I have people in line to buy the door panels, front grill, steering wheel (a swap), dash, front turn signal cover/bracket, and perhaps the wheels, original Citation-stamped alloys. I go to the junkyard for a set of Fiero wheels this weekend so I could move the original alloys. I might get the car paid for by selling all of that stuff, which would be awesome. We build our own cages, so that's affordable.

I love Lemons racing!!!

Jer
2006 Elise
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post
We'll be running our 4th Lemons race in December. I've posted other ET threads on our races/prep and you can also read about it on my blog at 24 Hours of Lemons (by The Racing Geek)
Love your blog! It sounds a lot like our last race, where we were off for repairs seven times, but only got it back out six times (catastrophic axle/spindle/brake issue with five minutes to go.

Jer
2006 Elise
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

2009 schedule (partial)

Feb 28-March 1: MSR Houston, Angleton TX
Apr 4-5: Carolina Motorsports Park, Kershaw SC
June 6-7: No Problem Raceway, Belle Rose LA
July 11-12: Stafford Motor Speedway, Stafford Springs CT
Sept 12-13: Carolina Motorsports Park, Kershaw SC

Oct 24-25: MSR Houston, Angleton TX
Nov 21-22: Thunderhill Raceway Park, Willows CA

We are running the three bolded races. If anyone is interest in being on a team, contact me. We have seats available, the cars are fully prepped, it can be an "arrive and drive" deal. I would certainly consider a ride swap, too!

Jer
2006 Elise
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 AM
rnr

Quote:
Love your blog! It sounds a lot like our last race, where we were off for repairs seven times, but only got it back out six times (catastrophic axle/spindle/brake issue with five minutes to go.
Thanks. In many ways its the heroic (and stupid) repairs that make races more memorable than one where you just run to the finish

Sent you PM about driving at the East Coast races.

06 Elise
02 Dodge Viper GTS
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Puff Daddy

We spent countless hours prepping our 86 MR2 for the "Arsefreezeapalooza" at Buttonwillow in December but got denied due to too many applicants. That sucked.

So now we have a ghetto racer that noone on my team wants to work on anymore because it's kind of pointless. I'm debating trying to make it street legal (the cage is troublesome though...) so I can at least drive it to the local autocross events.

P.S. There are tons of $500 cars in Tucson that have absolutely zero rust on them. Our $400 MR2 has a chassis that looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor once we cleaned all the dust/grime off of it. The paint and interior are guaranteed to be destroyed by the sun but all the stuff that matters will still be in good shape. The Air Force chose Tucson as it's airplane boneyard for a reason If more people back east are interested maybe we can load up an open trailer full of cars to send out there lol.

Last edited by Bane; 11-17-2008 at 08:26 AM.
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Now that sucks! We see big demand for the S Carolina race, but anyone could get into the Connecticut race. We only had 26 registrants last year! If we lived by you we'd probably buy the car from you.

We plan to apply on the first day we can for these races to help our chances. We lent them a welder last event, too, with hopes that would help our chances in the future.

Jer
2006 Elise
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Puff Daddy

Apparently there were 226 teams registered for that race. Absolutely insane.

I'm gonna keep the car and try to make it road legal.

People in AZ better not steal that plate
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 AM
rnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
We spent countless hours prepping our 86 MR2 for the "Arsefreezeapalooza" at Buttonwillow in December but got denied due to too many applicants. That sucked.

So now we have a ghetto racer that noone on my team wants to work on anymore because it's kind of pointless. I'm debating trying to make it street legal (the cage is troublesome though...) so I can at least drive it to the local autocross events.
The arsefreezeapalooza is in Thunderhill rather than Buttonwillow and getting is pretty tough. We were initially wait-listed despite having run 3 previous Lemons events. Just work on a more "interesting" application next time.

06 Elise
02 Dodge Viper GTS
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 01:13 PM
xtn

Quote:
Trust me, we read all the same stuff on the crushed Miata. I (seriously) have a negative cost of ($8) in the car right now, because I got ther clutch for $142 and the local vo-tech school is installing it for free (not quite free, I have to bring by the Elise for a show and tell). But again, no one will believe the Miata was really free. After I clean it up, it should fetch $2,000 easy, so I will probably just sell it to fund other projects. Or toodle around in it a bit, who knows.
Just a niggly detail, but unless you do the work yourself, you're supposed to include a reasonable cost of labor even if somebody else donates it.

xtn (two-time LeMons vet)

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I hear ya. I usually do the work myself, but a neighbor kid offered up the vo-tech thing when I told him about the Miata. It doesn't matter; if we race the Miata, I can easily add in $400 of labor and STILL be under budget. Odds are the car will never see a Lemons race anyway.

The Citation and Corolla are team-built. I replaced a shock/rotor/pads on one corner of the Citation yesterday and plan to do another next weekend. Two weeks ago I installed the junkyard axle in the Corolla. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Jer
2006 Elise
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 02:35 PM

I bought a bavaria for cheap (although adding a $300 blower motor to make the heat work put me over lemons budget even with the resold items--heck I sold off the spare parts for enough to get her under $500) but it is too nice to race. You guys need a mechanic? I sent you a PM with my email.

Ron

2006 Autumn Gold Elise Lily RIP-rebirth by newowner
2007 Exige S Phantom Black Type 72D Trim Goldilocks-sold
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 AM

1. The interior in the Citation is gone now!
2. The Bavaria is way too nice for lemons racing.

Ron

post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:49 AM

cool, i'll be watching this one. I really want to enter Lemons, but don't think i'll have the time/money/space until the 2010 season. Maybe i'll go the the CT one as a spectator this year.
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 PM

Surferjer should have some pics of the teardown.

It took about 3 hours for the two of us to nearly (still need to pull the heater core) completely gut her.

Ron

post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 02:10 PM

Garage
Funny, I hit you in south Carolina

we also did the Detroitish race. I loved racing and not caring if you kill the car because it's only worth $500 (about.

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > The Racing Den

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in