Chumpcar World Series - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Chumpcar World Series

Just wondering how many LT members we have that race Chumpcar?
What do you usually drive? Are you a part of a team or a renter? What part of the country or tracks do you usually race?

Any tips for a newbie? They seem like a good group so far but every group has its quirks or special ediquate.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 03:36 AM

I have done a chump car race and a lemons race. Each group has a forum so you should go check out their FAQ's. The best thing to do it buy a seat with a team and try it out for a race and see if it's for you.

It is an absolute blast! But putting a team together can be quite tricky just like those group projects in high school.

Picture of the Buick we race. It's an automatic and supercharged... Really bad choice lol Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1432899389.627257.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  101.6 KB

DIY 2007 Exige S K20A2 C38 Rotrex

Www.onetonracing.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Exiged,

Have done two races this year in a rental spot, RA and Daytona, BMW E30. It is a blast! Sort of like driving a tractor compared to my track Exige.

Had a small altercation with a guy at Daytona last weekend and he said I did a pit maneuver on him. I held my line and he pinched me I think, it happened quick. That's just what I had on my mind, second time doing it, in a car I don't own on a track I have never been to before. Exactly what I was thinking. Its a great way to make friends.

Needless to say I have noticed some etiquette. If you hold your line most of the time you will make contact so it is better to adjust and feather or brake if you are slower. Also if you are on a track that will handle 3 wide like Daytona, its better to go low and let the faster cars up top.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 05:01 AM

... It is a lot of fun when you arrive and drive, I'd keep it at that. Yes there are A hole drivers, check out the d*** around the 3:20 mark of my video:

If you don't arrive and drive, you get used to doing stuff like the second picture below with your free time and $. I've lost interest and will probably be selling my car... which I have over $25k in.
Attached Images

SRA Champion 2011 and 2012.
My first Lotus gave me a track disease. Now working with and racing Porsche's
Rennpart.com

Last edited by ACE51; 05-29-2015 at 05:10 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

It feels like it but the guys I race with are a very fun loving bunch. My wife ran the pits at Daytona this time due to lack of crew, I refueled every stint but my own, they said my wife was the MVP. They are providing fun and dreams to me, I have to be involved, I feel guilty if I don't.

Just me...........Good Karma..........

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 07:44 AM

I am building/developing a chump/lemons car. It is a very fast and highly refined '84 Cavalier Convertible. It is so terrible to drive that I actually giggle all the way around the track for laps on end. My team, Team Cote d'Ivoire, has not raced competitively yet. We've been 'practicing' this year, i.e. we break and then replace parts at the track, that is, when we are even allowed on the track because the pit out marshal can't see a glaring problem with the car when we grid.

Jason

06' Fed Elise

My frame, rear subframe, steering rack, A-arms, front crash structure, suspension uprights, and fuel tank are stock.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 08:05 AM

Ahh chumpcar, I'm getting a involved through my girlfriend, its good fun and I think it plays on the better to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow. Seems like you can drive just about any ol beater and come out good, just need a car that will run without breaking down and a crew who are experienced and don't mind getting dirty when it does.

--------------------------------------
03 DD Pontiac Vibe 21.95 lb/hp
05 Lotus Elise 9.78
93 Kawasaki EX250 9.13
07 Kawasaki ZX6R 3.42
Next up
15 BMW S1000RR 2.25
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 08:55 AM

I did my first Chumpcar race last month. My first race of any kind, actually. I had a blast. Here are my blog entries for the weekend:

ChumpCar Road America Part 1 | Nobody is Listening
ChumpCar Road America Part 2 | Nobody is Listening
ChumpCar Road America Part 3 | Nobody is Listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > The Racing Den

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in