Formula 600 Challenge at Watkins Glen - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Formula 600 Challenge at Watkins Glen

The Formula 600 challenge is a pro race series established this year for drivers of Formula 600 cars. This past weekend was the second race of the series (first was at Heartland Park in Topeka) and we visited Watkins Glen. It was a new track for all seven drivers that were able to make it. I found Watkins Glen to be VERY intimidating to learn, but once you figure it out it has some very fun corners! Next race will be Barber Motorsports Park and should have at least 10 drivers in attendance. If your looking to make the jump from track days to wheel to wheel racing F600 is a great entry level formula car. Plus not many places you can jump into an entry level road race car and walk away from a race weekend with a sizeable check to help cover your expenses when most of the other classes go home with a $5 trophy.

#36 Qualifying Race Opening Lap - YouTube

'05 Lotus Elise Saffron Yellow, Touring, Sport, Stainless Brake Lines, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace

NovaKBS Forumla 600 Powered by Suzuki GSXR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCkAxrPpBg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
The Formula 600 challenge is a pro race series established this year for drivers of Formula 600 cars. This past weekend was the second race of the series (first was at Heartland Park in Topeka) and we visited Watkins Glen. It was a new track for all seven drivers that were able to make it. I found Watkins Glen to be VERY intimidating to learn, but once you figure it out it has some very fun corners! Next race will be Barber Motorsports Park and should have at least 10 drivers in attendance. If your looking to make the jump from track days to wheel to wheel racing F600 is a great entry level formula car. Plus not many places you can jump into an entry level road race car and walk away from a race weekend with a sizeable check to help cover your expenses when most of the other classes go home with a $5 trophy.

#36 Qualifying Race Opening Lap - YouTube
Wish I would have known about this! WGI is my "home track". Only about an hour away. Would have love to have been there as I'm starting W2W racing in Formula Mazdas in Canada next month and would be cool to talk shop with some of the teams.

And it is a scary track so don't feel bad about being intimidated. PM me if you want some tips and tricks on some of the corners.

2005 Krypton Green Lotus Elise
1993 Black BMW 325i
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Here is my fastest race lap, 2:09.04. Over 3 seconds faster than my previous best. Not quite as fast as the leaders, but I'm happy with my overall performance.

Watkins Glen #36 Fastest Race Lap 2 min 09 04s - YouTube

You can follow the F600 Challenge on Facebook or through our website.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/560262654036949/

The Formula 600 Challenge

'05 Lotus Elise Saffron Yellow, Touring, Sport, Stainless Brake Lines, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 06:37 AM
BANNED

Where can the rules for the car be found?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

The lastest rule set for SCCA is found here.

http://www.scca.com/assets/2013%20GCR-%20August.pdf

You will need to look in the table of content for the Formula 600 section.

These cars are some of the best bang for the buck. New our cars are in the mid to upper 20's. Not many production based SCCA race cars can beat our laps times. For example a Touring 1 class Corvette record is a 2:11.0 compared to our 2:01.5s! Touring 1 also includes some Ferrari's, Vipers and other high power exotics.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 AM
BANNED

Thanks...I understand that next year's rules will allow shocks... Is there a link to next year's rules?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Next years rules will not allow metallic springs and hydraulic shocks and their are no plans to incorporate those in the future. Don't get fooled by the "rubber pucks" for suspension that are often looked down on. Some of the newer cars have highly researched and designed suspensions that use a custom polyurethane for the puck as well as adjustable friction dampeners in the bell crank pivot. This all works out to a fully adjustable suspension setup as well as linear spring rates at the wheels with the properly designed geometry. I can easily adjust my spring rates and my dampening independently in just a few minutes. Long gone are the damn near rigid go-kart like ride. My car has around 3" of wheel travel and runs ride heights similar to a Formula F to avoid bottoming out.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 02:52 PM
www.theapexinn.com

Nice Lap !!

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > The Racing Den

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in