The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Formula One!! Here we go!!

27K views 164 replies 59 participants last post by  glb 
#1 ·
Turn up the lights, turn up the volume.

YES !!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana:
:nanner::nanner::nanner::nanner::nanner::nanner:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

#136 ·
In all fairness to your daughter, I bet a raindrop/ball of rubber/bit of gravel/junebug hurts at 200MPH.

#138 ·
Interesting race to watch last night (this morning!)

#140 ·
Yeah, the RACE was interesting but ESPNs coverage Suc*d. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't know if they had an intro program LIVE, but they didn't when they re-broadcast it later in the day. I relied on that stuff to get 'up' on the latest developments among the teams. :frown2:

Felt bad for Haas...felt worse for me, since ESPN was running commercials and never recapped what happened until later. :frown2: :shrug:

#141 · (Edited)
The race itself was interesting since the outcome was determined by two random disasters coinciding tragically for HAAS, and a rule few can understand.

But yeah the “coverage” was a comical disaster, reminiscent of what third graders would put on.

EDIT: not to imply that there are not plenty of third graders out there who are talented and responsible enough to have done this right.

https://jalopnik.com/espns-f1-season-opener-broadcast-was-a-catastrophe-1824057087

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-apologizes-f1-fans-rough-debut-weekend-coverage.html

#144 ·
Forgot to record. WTF why can't they broadcast it at 8AM just on delay. Early season PIA!!

#146 ·
I tend to find most commentary to just be the same jumble of random keywords anyways, so I didn't find this commentary to be that much worse. It was still helpful when something like the lead change happened and equally useless when nothing is happening.

#149 ·
Nice race for the fans today. Hope the Ferrari crewman isn’t hurt too badly. Shows how dangerous that job is.

No commercials today. I guess ESPN figured they owed us after Australia. Will be interesting to see what they eventually come up with, how they can do commercials without their own show.

#150 ·
You know, I didn't even miss the commercials! :crazyeyes

I guess that's why I got a lot more out of the commentary. :eek:

+++++++++++

ESPN should do a side-by-side with race coverage and commercials on the screen at the same time...but the commercial SOUND should be on sub-titles only so as not to mask the Sky broadcasters.

#154 ·
Formula 1 Races on ESPN Will Be Commercial-Free for 2018

After a disastrous start to the season during the broadcast of the Australian GP, ESPN has decided to eliminate commercials altogether.

Thanks to an outcry of complaints from the opening round of the Formula One season in Australia, ESPN has decided to eliminate all commercial breaks from F1 races for the remainder of the season, according to Sports Business Journal reporter Adam Stern.

If you happened to catch the opening round of the Formula One season in Australia on ESPN a few weeks ago, you'll remember the broadcast cut to commercial abruptly, often during critical points of the race and without warning. If you were brave enough to stick around for the Bahrain GP last weekend, chances are you were pleasantly surprised to see there were no commercials at all. This was no accident.

ESPN Executive Vice President Burke Magnus confirmed to Stern that every race for the rest of F1's season will air commercial-free. ESPN won the broadcasting rights for the series back in October, though the network currently syndicates its feed from Sky Sports—meaning ESPN has little ability to alter the feed to suit its commercial needs. This seems like a solution every F1 fan in America can get behind.

---

Uh, I can't fathom not being able to work around this, by cutting the feed when ESPN wants to, so commercial income can be made....

#155 ·
Change is tough

Thoughts:
1. Varsha was the best, teamed with Hobbs and Matchett. Never got used to Diffey and that nasal tone. I'm not sure who is providing the majority of the commentary now, but the yelling during possible/impending/occurring passes wears on me quickly. Screamy McScreamerson. I know they are trying to drum up excitement, but it sounds like the finish of a horse race.
2. Will Buxton did a fantastic job walking the grid before the race. What I saw in Bahrain was not that great (sorry Martin Brundle). A solid portion of his time was spent trying to find anyone to talk with. Do you think they were purposely avoiding him at some points? He interfaced with (I think Rob Smedley from Williams?) and made some backhanded comment about the car being way in the back of the grid...it clearly got under the skin of his interviewee, and resulted in a snide comment back. Not really that fun.

I hope it gets better, but it's not like I'm going to stop watching.

#156 ·
Thoughts:
1. Varsha was the best, teamed with Hobbs and Matchett.
Wow, different strokes for different folks, but I loathed the NBC commentary and have been avoiding it for the last 5+ years whenever possible. Varsha and Hobbs constantly got things wrong, Matchett is a blow hard that would not stop telling the most boring and irrelevant stories. All these years of doing this and they still think a driver with a five grid spot penalty can start fifth boggles my mind.

Buxton is a class act and has been picked up by Sky to do much of the pre race coverage. If the Sky team isn't working for you Channel 4 is still using much of the BBC team and also offer some great commentary.

#158 ·
Formula 1's Live Streaming Race Coverage Begins in May

F1 TV will launch in time for the 2018 Spanish Grand Prix, with prices starting at $8 a month

After the debacle of the ESPN broadcast of the 2018 Australian Grand Prix, there's some good news for F1 fans: The racing organization has just announced that its streaming service, F1 TV, will launch in May ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix.

F1 TV is Formula 1's streaming-video subscription service, allowing folks without cable TV to watch the racing series online. It'll be available in two different formats: F1 TV Pro, the premium package, will offer live racing, all 20 driver-cameras, side-by-side race viewing, and live coverage of practice, qualifying, press conferences and pre- and post-race interviews. The less-expensive F1 TV Access won't offer live video coverage, but will include live race timing data and radio broadcasts, as well as extended highlights of each session from the race weekend and a constantly-growing archive of historic F1 video.

F1 TV will be available on desktop first, followed by support for Apple, Android, and Amazon Fire tablet and mobile devices. The streaming service will come to TV devices from Apple, Android and Amazon by this summer. F1 says pricing will depend on the market, but should range around $8-12 per month or $70-150 annually.

#160 ·
Wow! Best F1 race in years! How long has it been since we last had so many cars in position to make the win?

Seems to me the overtaking problem is as much due to certain tracks as it is to wider more aero dependent cars with flimsy tires and too little fuel.

#162 ·
This season is dumb, from the idiotic halos, i mean flip flop tops to the SKY coverage and no grid girls. The only thing that is good is the live broadcast is commercial free. Which saves about 30 min on my DVR. If F1 keeps this PC BS up, I will stop watching.

#163 ·
The grid girls were nice, but not a reason for me watching.

Plus, am a big fan of driver safety, remembering back when we lost one a month.

#165 ·
Here's Your First Look at the 2021 Formula 1 Car Design

F1 has been doing wind tunnel testing on this 50-percent model to ensure there will be more passing action come 2021.

The 2021 Formula 1 regulations promise big changes for the sport, with goals of making passing on track easier, and reducing costs for teams. The cars are getting a new set of rules that will redefine how the cars are shaped, and alter how much the teams can tinker with things like aero. Now, for the first time ever, we get to see what the 2021 F1 car design looks like in the flesh.

Formula 1 released a video today that shows a 50 percent sized model of a 2021 Formula 1 car testing at Sauber's wind tunnel in Switzerland. The design isn't exactly finalized—F1 says the front wing will evolve as testing goes on—but things like the side pods and rear wing are expected to stay the same. We also get a look at the new 18-inch wheels, which will replace the comparatively tiny 13-inch units used on the current cars.

As before, Formula 1 says the main goal for 2021's design is to reduce the car's wake disruption through the air with the goal of making races more appealing. Today's cars have a disruption level of 50 percent, making it difficult for following car to get close and pass. As a result, races have less close racing and fewer passes, making for less exciting racing. Formula 1 says these new cars will have just a 5-10 percent wake disruption. So hopefully, we should get some better racing once the rules take effect.

The results are “actually beyond what I thought we could achieve when we started the project," according to F1 chief technical officer Pay Symonds. “With the configurations we have got at the moment, the results are exceptional," he added.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a28783755/f1-2021-car-design-first-look/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.