NBC and Formula 1 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

NBC and Formula 1

Major dilemma... Back when Speed had F1 some races were broadcasted on the FOX network. Well NBC/NBCsports is doing the same thing. Most races are on Direct TV channel 220 which I can get.

The problem is I cannot get the regular NBC network through DTV because it is available locally and my waiver was denied. I need to get an outdoor HDTV antenna that can pick up the local signal from roughly 75 miles away.

There are a bizillion choices out there. If anyone has had to do this and could steer me in the direction of a good unit it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:26 AM

I'm not totally sure because they haven't done an NBC Prime broadcast yet, but I think they will do live internet streams of those races on NBCSports.com/liveextra. That's what I remember reading in the initial news about the deal anyway.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 02:39 PM

If you're interested in BBC coverage, but not live (via a private torrent size), PM me. I hate the American coverage, but I have to wait for the download after the race (not live).

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Put in for the waiver. It takes a while but worth it. I had the same problem with the Olympics.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the comments. I have a 'Hot Spot" computer connection however it's $50 a month for 5 gigs. Anything after that is $10. a Gig.

I hate DTV however my only other choice is Dish Network which the wife tells me her friends at work say Dish is worse than DTV.

All they have to do is flip a switch and I get the channel... I know they have to go through FCC Protocal however in my area it's different, very tall trees surround the property I rent so I cannot just 'cut' them down.

On another note: The reps I spoke with at DTV told me to go out and cut the offending trees down at 3 am... I'm going to spark up a chain saw at 3am... F'N Idiots!

I couldn't give to ****s about NBC broadcasting, I just want to get the races......

Robert
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Elise Guru

I kinda want to hijack this thread to address the NBC coverage. Mine and Alex's biggest complaint is Lee Diffy, whom my wife calls "the chipmunk" He just won't calm down or shut up. Hobbs and Matchett are gold but you have to give them time to talk.

I think Lee is a decent enough guy but he is trying too hard. They need to hit him with a tranquilizer dart. He was getting better in the last race, but good lord.

Bring back Varsha.

As far as BBS coverage goes, their "mid-week" update is great, but I think Hobbs, Matchett, and Varsha actually make a better broadcast team.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 02:15 AM

I prefer UK's Sky coverage. They seem to be more in-tune with what's going on behind-the-scene, and don't worry too much about the gossips and rumors.

I'm rather content with the NBC's coverage because they _try_ not to disturb the race with commercials too much(and keep showing the races with Picture-in-Picture), which is in direct comparison with Speed's commercial every 10 minutes nonsense.

I don't know how I feel about the commentary, though. They basically rounded up the guys from Speed, including Will Buxton. They sounds like they're rehashing the old news over and over, though(and explaining the tire regulation over and over), and don't really talk about the new additions on the car. It's all to elementary, and there is more to F1 than what they're (able to?) deliver.

Oh the side note, watching F1 LIVE with the Timing App on the phone makes the whole experience more enjoyable. Live tire status(laps used), everyone's track position, pit-in/out timing, time gained/lost on sectors, time difference per lap, etc, is far more usable than waiting for the 'experts' to chime in and have them _guess_ what's actually going on.
It's a one (albeit major) step before the FanVision/Kangaroo TV(not available for 2013+).

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
I kinda want to hijack this thread to address the NBC coverage. Mine and Alex's biggest complaint is Lee Diffy, whom my wife calls "the chipmunk" He just won't calm down or shut up. Hobbs and Matchett are gold but you have to give them time to talk.

I think Lee is a decent enough guy but he is trying too hard. They need to hit him with a tranquilizer dart. He was getting better in the last race, but good lord.

Bring back Varsha.

As far as BBS coverage goes, their "mid-week" update is great, but I think Hobbs, Matchett, and Varsha actually make a better broadcast team.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled program...
Lee Diffy a 'chipmunk' but now that you mention it he does look like one!

I think Varsha is still under contract with Speed because of Barret Jackson but when the contract ends I hope he goes back with the guys. Glad they put Will on, he's a nut case.

On the antenna, I stopped at a local specialty TV dealer today and the guy is coming out to check the area for signal reception. I did my homework and there's quite a bit involved with antennas. Looking into Dish seems to be the way to go, plus I get way more than what DTV is porking me for.

Just hope I get this sorted out before Monaco which is one of my favorites.

If anyone wants to hijack this thread to talk about NBC's coverage of F1 go for it. I do like the 'picture in picture' during the commercials and think NBC is doing a pretty good job.

Has there been any news on the NY/NJ street race they mentioned some time ago? It seems that has gone to the back burner for now.

Last edited by Type82; 05-09-2013 at 02:04 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 03:59 PM

I think the NJ race is still in the works for 2014.

NBC's race coverage is tolerable. I've always heard that Sky and BBC are better, but watching live is a big deal to me, so I put up with it. I do wish Varsha could have come over, I like him and Hobbes, but what can you do. I'm just glad they didn't hire Greg Creamer, I can't stand that guy. Or friggin Darrell Waltrip, he ruined Speed's live Bathurst 1000 coverage when they did that.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 04:42 AM

I hardly watch live, but I will when I can. I usually just DVR the race and fast forward through the commercials.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 AM

My big complaint is the GP2 coverage. Or lack thereof....

We didn't get the first race, NBC graciously decided to show us Bahrain, but now Catalunya is not being broadcast. Instead we get Saltwater Fishing before the F1 race.

Geez, guys. What gives?

11 Exige Final Edition - The White Car
87 Ferrari 328 - The Red Car
08 Mazda MX5 - The Black Car
05 Ferrari 430 - The Loud Car
09 VW EOS - The Land Barge
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 AM

I'm very surprised that the coverage on the ObamaChannel network is as good as it is. Varsha was the weakest link on Speed's team and I don't miss him too much although he was certainly as good as Diffy. At least we didn't get some loser like Derek Daley. I was surprised to see that they retained Matchett and Hobbs, which I consider a good thing. I must admit that I DVR the races and watch them sans commercials with my morning coffee.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2seatsonly View Post
My big complaint is the GP2 coverage. Or lack thereof....
I know right?! I was getting all psyched up cause I was going to try to watch GP2 for once and then....NBC forgets about it. I should check if they stream it...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM

tv antenna source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type82 View Post
Major dilemma... Back when Speed had F1 some races were broadcasted on the FOX network. Well NBC/NBCsports is doing the same thing. Most races are on Direct TV channel 220 which I can get.

The problem is I cannot get the regular NBC network through DTV because it is available locally and my waiver was denied. I need to get an outdoor HDTV antenna that can pick up the local signal from roughly 75 miles away.

There are a bizillion choices out there. If anyone has had to do this and could steer me in the direction of a good unit it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
We do not have cable. I use the following:

HD Stacker Antenna - Denny's Antenna

Denny's TV Antenna Source - Outdoor TV antennas

with a Motorola BDA-S4 signal booster, and a Channel Master DVR. Also an antenna rotator.

No monthly cost. We receive more TV stations than we care for. All antennas receive HDTV signals.

2012 IPS Evora 2+0 Starlight Black, 2012 Elantra, 2005 Astro Van
[SOLD]2005 Elise Starlight Black, hardtop, touring pack, Larini Sport Style exhaust.

Last edited by RWLott; 05-09-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: forgot the rotor
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Switched over to Dish yesterday, no messing with antennas and I get more for less money than what DTV was charging.

High Definition is free as DTV charges $10 a month extra. DTV will give it to you for free if you let them deduct your monthly billing charges from your bank account.

Can't wait to see Monaco in HD. Turn up the volume and turn off the lights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > The Racing Den

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in