It's official! F1 coming to Texas in 2012 - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Registered User
 
Hobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin
Posts: 53
Great news, I hear the track is going to be out near the airport? Austin is a perfect place for F1, decent weather, plenty of hotels, nothing is to far away. I am super excited, the last F1 race I saw was in Long Beach.

Phil

05 Yellow Elise, Stage 2.
Hobbit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
sleeprfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRTHTAKR View Post
What would such a project cost? A few hundred mill? Didn't they spend a full billion in Bahrain (show offs!)?
Initial estimates I've seen on the news is saying it will be at minimum $250M, but likely much more than that. My guess it'll be between $300M and $500M. Someone was quoted saying that the track surface itself for F1 spec would cost around $100M, insane.

However if you believe their projections that an F1 race will have as much economic impact as the Superbowl (I believe that) and will happen every year in the same location unlike the Superbowl, and that an F1 event can generate as much as $100M to the local economy, building the track can actually pay for itself in about 4-5 years assuming the execution is there. Not the most lucrative investment obviously, but the developers get the fame and royal treatment attached to a Grand Prix.

See this article: Statesman.com : Is Formula One coming to Austin?

2005 Lotus Elise - ForcedFed 340, now at 15 psi and needing dyno for results.
2002 Ford Focus SVT - 4.6L V8 RWD conversion, twice the cylinders and half the sense.
sleeprfocus is offline  
post #23 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Registered User
 
Shine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 455
After seeing this interview with Tavo today I'm beginning to get more optimistic:

He has also defended his decision to use Hermann Tilke, the famed F1 track designer, because he claims the German is the best man for getting venues up to the right standards.

"I signed a deal with him a long time ago," said Hellmund. "They know where FIA and FOM want every plug, literally. They've already done the design, there's already a masterplan, and we have unbelievable land, a few miles from the airport. It's a killer location."

He added: "We optioned the land nearly three years ago with this in mind. We've already got the permitting for utilities, water and waste water, and those are the biggest things to get sorted. None of the land is developed, but it already has the infrastructure, roads and that kind of stuff."

- Shine
2005 Elise, Ardent Red, Manual Winders
Shine is offline  
 
post #24 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: austin texas
Posts: 1,152
I'm getting optimistic also. IMO, there is someone a lot bigger than Tavo behind the scenes that made this happen and is funding the track. Tavo is just the front man. If Tavo was hitting up your basic $10 million per investor crowd, the word would have gotten out. There are reasons why some billionaires would want to remain anonymous for the time.
texige is offline  
post #25 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
It's not going to happen so don't get your panties in a bunch Fuzz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texige View Post
I'm getting optimistic also...
First of all there's no money in it for any investor.

Secondly...

Hermann Tilke to design Austin circuit - US Grand Prix | Formula 1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

No way in Hell will this track be finished by 2012.




Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #26 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: austin texas
Posts: 1,152
They already have their money, they already have the course design, they already have the property, they don't have union workers or snow to slow things down, the city will rubber stamp their plans because it's out east where they will do anything for growth plus there is no development near the track. For those that don't know Austin, the city put in a loop recently, SH 130 which provided access to many thousands of acres of land that is not developed. There is nothing out there so there are no neighborhoods etc. to protest the track.

Tilke has designed some good non F1 tracks. Unlike most recent tracks that Tilke built for governments, Tavo is a racer and is determined to build a racers track. 2012 might be a little optimistic though but I will not be too upset if it starts in 2013.
texige is offline  
post #27 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
That lil' SH 130 Loop is a freaking expensive toll road Fuzz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texige View Post
They already have their money, they already have the course design, they already have the property, they don't have union workers or snow to slow things down, the city will rubber stamp their plans because it's out east where they will do anything for growth plus there is no development near the track. For those that don't know Austin, the city put in a loop recently, SH 130 which provided access to many thousands of acres of land that is not developed. There is nothing out there so there are no neighborhoods etc. to protest the track.

Tilke has designed some good non F1 tracks. Unlike most recent tracks that Tilke built for governments, Tavo is a racer and is determined to build a racers track. 2012 might be a little optimistic though but I will not be too upset if it starts in 2013.
You're living in a dream world amigo. having grown up in austin I know the city real well. They DO NOT have the funds together and the Great State of Texas will only pledge up to $25 million / year going forward. this track will be in excess of $300 million and that's being conservative.

Additionally how is this supposed to make money after that one big F1 weekend muchacho? Rent it out to who?

Your pal Tavo is a Mexican and should think about plopping this down in Mexico City where some palms can be greased.

Sorry junior... looks like you'll still have to travel to Canada for your F1 fix.



Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #28 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
Michael Dell was the prime mover behind this initially!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texige View Post
I'm getting optimistic also. IMO, there is someone a lot bigger than Tavo behind the scenes that made this happen and is funding the track. Tavo is just the front man. If Tavo was hitting up your basic $10 million per investor crowd, the word would have gotten out. There are reasons why some billionaires would want to remain anonymous for the time.
Not anymore however.

Sorry.

Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #29 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: austin texas
Posts: 1,152
Tavo and his investors could care less what the old Austin hippies or naysayers think because they are a lot farther along than anyone realized. Everyone involved had to sign a nondisclosure agreement but as a third generation Austinite and businessman, my VC friends think the money is there and has been there for a while. The state money is minor. Tilke was hired because he is the only architect big enough that could do a project like this in the amount of time they have.
texige is offline  
post #30 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: austin texas
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickedup View Post
Unless Michael Dell is a closet Formula Uno fan... forget it!
http://www.bimmertoday.de/wp-content...berf1-dell.jpg

Bmw lemans image by stygianmax on Photobucket

Maybe your are right. It would be private non corporate funds though. Would the head dick of Dickedup Computers want it announced that he was personally investing in F1 the same week his business was laying off people to please the stock market?
texige is offline  
post #31 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: austin texas
Posts: 1,152
So you have a guy that owns Krohn Racing in Texas, that is a member of the Fortune 400 and he is not contacted about investing? Make your own conclusions.

F1 Austin announcement a big surprise to many
texige is offline  
post #32 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
My family has been in the area since 1830 hombre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texige View Post
Tavo and his investors could care less what the old Austin hippies or naysayers think because they are a lot farther along than anyone realized. Everyone involved had to sign a nondisclosure agreement but as a third generation Austinite and businessman, my VC friends think the money is there and has been there for a while. The state money is minor. Tilke was hired because he is the only architect big enough that could do a project like this in the amount of time they have.
Glad yours has been around a tad.

This entire scheme makes absolutely NO sense at all. How in the Hell is anyone suppossed to make any money off this little fandango?

Your pal Tavo will most likely go down in Texas history as a 21st century Billie Sol Estes.



Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #33 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: austin texas
Posts: 1,152
Dang you are old if you remember Billie Sol Estes. I had forgotten about him.

The ROI for a Formula 1 track in the US probably stinks. There are lots of better investments. All the US needed was one or two multi billionaires whose love for F1 and what it does for their town is greater than return on investment. I mentioned Dell because he has donated at least $100 million to make Austin a better town with obviously no financial return on investment. A F1 track would finally make Austin a top city in the eyes of those around the world but there are other multi billionaires in Tejas instead of Dell that could be doing this. I did find it interesting that the same week that the F1 track was announced, Dell's brother was hired to work at Austin Ventures. Maybe just coincidence. If you have $20 billion, wouldn't you spend off a couple of 100 mill on F1?
texige is offline  
post #34 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
One race in one weekend a year is not going to do schit for a city hombre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texige View Post
Dang you are old if you remember Billie Sol Estes. I had forgotten about him.

The ROI for a Formula 1 track in the US probably stinks. There are lots of better investments. All the US needed was one or two multi billionaires whose love for F1 and what it does for their town is greater than return on investment. I mentioned Dell because he has donated at least $100 million to make Austin a better town with obviously no financial return on investment. A F1 track would finally make Austin a top city in the eyes of those around the world but there are other multi billionaires in Tejas instead of Dell that could be doing this. I did find it interesting that the same week that the F1 track was announced, Dell's brother was hired to work at Austin Ventures. Maybe just coincidence. If you have $20 billion, wouldn't you spend off a couple of 100 mill on F1?
It's a crap investment by anyone with eyes and I believe you're wrong about Dell sinking that much cash into Austin. Only thing I've heard him contribute to is a Jewish Center somewheres. He wants to make a real impact then he should donate the cash to repair Duval Road through Hyde Park... my college hood. Thought I saw a few suspension parts off my old '67 Elan in one of them potholes the last time I cruised through there.

If I had $20 billion I would build a track of superior design. However ol' Michael is a computer geek first and foremost and that's the bottom line. This entire thing smells like doodoo. Lastly your pal Tavo Hellmund does not own any property in either Travis or Williamson counties. He sleeping on someone's couch or what?



Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #35 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san mateo, ca
Posts: 663
this has been pretty thoroughly debunked over on the ferrari f1 forum. but let me add:

the host city has to pay FOM to hold the race there.
but, bernie owns all track advertising at f1 events.
so the only way the track makes money is by a) ticket sales and b) tourist revenues. that mean governments need to be behind the effort; there is almost no payback for private investors unless maybe you own all the hotels around.

and just because you might have local billionaires (or even 100 millionaires) willing to part with some bucks, why should they? they can afford to visit any f1 venue at far more exotic locations.

just look at the most recent addition to the f1 calendar, montreal. it is a track that already exists! in an awesome city! (nothing against austin.) with infrastructure and experience already in place. and they could barely afford to get back on the calendar, and it required a government guarantee ... as do all new f1 venues. bernie requires *government* guarantees because he wants to be absolutely sure of getting paid before he brings the f1 circus to town.

no way austin is going to do that.
road racer is offline  
post #36 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Registered User
 
fitfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Diego!
Posts: 7,116
wasn't the russian grand prix this year? what ever happened to that and "its" 2010 drive has no home race....

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
fitfan is offline  
post #37 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 AM
Registered User
 
Conan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by road racer View Post
this has been pretty thoroughly debunked over on the ferrari f1 forum. but let me add:

the host city has to pay FOM to hold the race there.
but, bernie owns all track advertising at f1 events.
so the only way the track makes money is by a) ticket sales and b) tourist revenues. that mean governments need to be behind the effort; there is almost no payback for private investors unless maybe you own all the hotels around.

and just because you might have local billionaires (or even 100 millionaires) willing to part with some bucks, why should they? they can afford to visit any f1 venue at far more exotic locations.

just look at the most recent addition to the f1 calendar, montreal. it is a track that already exists! in an awesome city! (nothing against austin.) with infrastructure and experience already in place. and they could barely afford to get back on the calendar, and it required a government guarantee ... as do all new f1 venues. bernie requires *government* guarantees because he wants to be absolutely sure of getting paid before he brings the f1 circus to town.

no way austin is going to do that.
This is why so many euro tracks have canceled or threatened to cancel over the last decade. I think Bernie must be the greatest salesman in the world to get anyone to sign up anymore.

Fast in, fast out.
2013 Mini Cooper S, 2007 Honda Odyssey (the wife's), gone: 2006 Elise
Conan is offline  
post #38 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
Must add that my beloved hometown is still quite provincial amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by road racer View Post
this has been pretty thoroughly debunked over on the ferrari f1 forum. but let me add:

the host city has to pay FOM to hold the race there.
but, bernie owns all track advertising at f1 events.
so the only way the track makes money is by a) ticket sales and b) tourist revenues. that mean governments need to be behind the effort; there is almost no payback for private investors unless maybe you own all the hotels around.

and just because you might have local billionaires (or even 100 millionaires) willing to part with some bucks, why should they? they can afford to visit any f1 venue at far more exotic locations.

just look at the most recent addition to the f1 calendar, montreal. it is a track that already exists! in an awesome city! (nothing against austin.) with infrastructure and experience already in place. and they could barely afford to get back on the calendar, and it required a government guarantee ... as do all new f1 venues. bernie requires *government* guarantees because he wants to be absolutely sure of getting paid before he brings the f1 circus to town.

no way austin is going to do that.
This entire thing sounded beyond rational from the start.

Was just south of your area last month and had the best damn al pastor tacos there in San Carlos @ El Maguey Taqueria. On Holly Str. real close to to the 101 freeway.

El Maguey Taqueria - San Carlos, CA





What F1 Ferrari site is this?

Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #39 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san mateo, ca
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by road racer View Post
no way austin is going to do that.
Texas state paying $25m for 2012 F1 race

I stand corrected.
road racer is offline  
post #40 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
This all is not going to end well for Austin hombre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by road racer View Post
That "promotor" Tavo must be able to sell popsicles to Eskimos.



Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > The Racing Den

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome