It's official! F1 coming to Texas in 2012 - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Registered User
 
milehitom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,405
Future F1 site revealed

Here's the latest on the track's "proposed" location. I'll believe it when I'm down there licking barbeque sauce of my fingers in Lockhart, 15 minutes away, the day before the race. Until then, I'll keep going to Kansas City for barbeque and Montreal for F1.

Tom
milehitom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
Never said that they were not going to attempt to build this fiasco amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texige View Post
dickedup has some crow to eat.

Formula 1 United States | Austin 2012
It'll just be a massive failure is all for so many reasons.

You're not gonna cry now are ya hoss?




Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #63 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
Good Lord what a disaster waiting to happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehitom View Post
Future F1 site revealed

Here's the latest on the track's "proposed" location. I'll believe it when I'm down there licking barbeque sauce of my fingers in Lockhart, 15 minutes away, the day before the race. Until then, I'll keep going to Kansas City for barbeque and Montreal for F1.

Tom
That plot of land should be called 'Wondering Creek'.



Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
 
post #64 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: austin texas
Posts: 1,152
Yep, that billionaire "Red" McCombs" is a business idiot. It looks like Moto GP will also be coming since Kevin Schwantz is also an investor.
texige is offline  
post #65 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Registered User
 
XHILR8N!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2 laps down
Posts: 6,751
Garage
How much $$ does an F1 event really bring to an area? Plenty of events host 100,000 people, how many of those can support the 100's of millions needed to make this site viable?
Sure you have tickets, hotels, eateries, all the peripheral stuff. But does that math actually work out?

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
XHILR8N! is offline  
post #66 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: austin texas
Posts: 1,152
F1 does not make sense as a business investment however McCombs has stated that his interest is in boosting Texas and Austin's International reputation. If you had made billions that you could not possibly spend and had already donated $50 million to the University of Texas, why not put a couple hundred mill in F1?
texige is offline  
post #67 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
Good Lord are you reaching Fuzz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texige View Post
Yep, that billionaire "Red" McCombs" is a business idiot. It looks like Moto GP will also be coming since Kevin Schwantz is also an investor.
If ol' McCombs wants to erect a shrine to his passions than by all means he should do so with ZERO tax-payer funds.

Done.

Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #68 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: austin texas
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickedup View Post
If ol' McCombs wants to erect a shrine to his passions than by all means he should do so with ZERO tax-payer funds.

Done.
The state funds are based on tax revenue generated by the race. They are not spent on the track being built nor are they spent until the track is built and the race is a done deal. Since similar funds have already been spent on bringing football and basketball to Texas and the state made far more in tax revenue, certainly a car fan would not object nor anyone interested in the huge boost it provides to the Austin economy.
texige is offline  
post #69 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
Just look at the huge boost F1 provied to the Indianapolis economy Fuzz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texige View Post
The state funds are based on tax revenue generated by the race. They are not spent on the track being built nor are they spent until the track is built and the race is a done deal. Since similar funds have already been spent on bringing football and basketball to Texas and the state made far more in tax revenue, certainly a car fan would not object nor anyone interested in the huge boost it provides to the Austin economy.
Allow me to start off this brew-ha-ha by stating I would love, love, love, to have a Grand Prix in Austin, Texas. However... the way this little gem is spooling up is going to cost the Texas taypayers in the end. And by in the end... I mean they'll be getting it good in the end. These 'investors' and that little 'promoter' are going to attempt to surf funds directly from state coffers. This track will be close to $300,000,000 and chance. You truly believe all that cash is going to be paid by Red and his fellow 'investors'?

This thing stinks to high heaven amigo.



Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #70 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: austin texas
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickedup View Post
Allow me to start off this brew-ha-ha by stating I would love, love, love, to have a Grand Prix in Austin, Texas. However... the way this little gem is spooling up is going to cost the Texas taypayers in the end. And by in the end... I mean they'll be getting it good in the end. These 'investors' and that little 'promoter' are going to attempt to surf funds directly from state coffers. This track will be close to $300,000,000 and chance. You truly believe all that cash is going to be paid by Red and his fellow 'investors'?

This thing stinks to high heaven amigo.


You are obviously a big football/basketball fan because similar amounts of money have already been spent from this $295 million fund to attract a variety of football/basketball events. Arlington is receiving $31.5 million to bring the Superbowl there. The state also spends a lot of money attracting
businesses such as the Toyota plant in San Antonio and the GM plant in Fort Worth. The Texas F1 race would not happen without Texas kicking in from the fund IMO. The end results is 2000+ jobs created, much more in tax revenue than the $25 mill. investment and a huge boom to the Austin economy. You think we would be better off if the state wasn't investing in bringing this project to Texas and it went elsewhere because that is what would have happened without the state funds?
texige is offline  
post #71 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
Rednecks understand football and basketball compadre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texige View Post
You are obviously a big football/basketball fan because similar amounts of money have already been spent from this $295 million fund to attract a variety of football/basketball events. Arlington is receiving $31.5 million to bring the Superbowl there. The state also spends a lot of money attracting
businesses such as the Toyota plant in San Antonio and the GM plant in Fort Worth.

The Texas F1 race would not happen without Texas kicking in from the fund IMO. The end results is 2000+ jobs created, much more in tax revenue than the $25 mill. investment and a huge boom to the Austin economy. You think we would be better off if the state wasn't investing in bringing this project to Texas and it went elsewhere because that is what would have happened without the state funds?
The bulk of Americans have no concept of what a F1 race even is. Another open-wheeled race. Where's Danica?

There is no racing heritage in Austin. We're all getting excited because we know that these are the most sophisticated racing machines on the planet. But being a Love_Ah of Formula One in Texas is on par with those here that still own a Members Only jacket. Very few.

Truly believe that putting a goofy fellow like this Tavo as point man was a mistake. They used him as a contact to Bernie but come the Hell on. Speaking of Eccelestone... he is the main reason why I would bail on this entire project toot sweet.

McCombs and 'investors' want this track so bad than let them fund the sumbitch themselves and keep the state completely out of this entire deal. Fail to see how an idle track during most of the year is going to create 2000 jobs.

Latest thang on the grapevine is that those 900 acres on the proposed site have some endangered species hanging about. The Golden-cheeked Warbler and a Bone Cave Harvestman. Apparently there's are some underground activity in that hood.




Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #72 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Registered User
 
Conan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,379
Again, I'm all for having an F1 race only an hour away. But logistically (never mind the financial aspect) I don't see how they are going to meet the proposed schedule of 2012. They haven't even done the land deal for sure? My God. How fast do they think they can handle the legal red tape, organize the resources, physically lay the track, land scape, build the facilities (including all the IT associated with F1 races - LAN, security servers, testing, debugging, etc etc), inspect, test, fix the problems inevitably found, and so forth? Sorry, but I just can't see it happening. Possible? Sure -- anything is. But likely? No way. Better chance of me being the next driver for Lotus Racing.

Fast in, fast out.
2013 Mini Cooper S, 2007 Honda Odyssey (the wife's), gone: 2006 Elise
Conan is offline  
post #73 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
Makes you wonder why these Rednecks just can't be on the up & up amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Again, I'm all for having an F1 race only an hour away. But logistically (never mind the financial aspect) I don't see how they are going to meet the proposed schedule of 2012. They haven't even done the land deal for sure? My God. How fast do they think they can handle the legal red tape, organize the resources, physically lay the track, land scape, build the facilities (including all the IT associated with F1 races - LAN, security servers, testing, debugging, etc etc), inspect, test, fix the problems inevitably found, and so forth? Sorry, but I just can't see it happening. Possible? Sure -- anything is. But likely? No way. Better chance of me being the next driver for Lotus Racing.
Check out this writer from ESPN Sports. Very entertaining.

Ryan McGee: I'll believe an F1 race will be in Austin, Texas, when I see one - ESPN




Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #74 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
Think you should give that a shot compadre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Better chance of me being the next driver for Lotus Racing.
Sure you'd do better the current two drivers for Lotus.

Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #75 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
Good Lord that Austin promoter is getting set-up for a 'Beat Down' muchachos!

Check out ol' Bernie playing Suavo Hellmund like a fiddle.



Ecclestone open to additional US round - F1 | ITV Sport





Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #76 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Registered User
 
Dennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 114
Smile

Construction started today, time to party!

With a car like this I could, dare I say it, Rule The World
Dennis is offline  
post #77 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
Gentlemen... start your fiascos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Construction started today, time to party!
Hang on to your hard hats muchachos.

Construction finally under way on Austin's F1 facility

Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #78 of 154 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:09 AM
Registered User
 
dickedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,896
Just caught your glaring mistake michacho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehitom View Post
I'll believe it when I'm down there licking barbeque sauce of my fingers in Lockhart, 15 minutes away...

Tom
The Big Three BBQ spots in Lockhart, Texas don't provide sauce at their joints. Why? They think it detracts from the meat.



Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
dickedup is offline  
post #79 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
sleeprfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,320
Now the track has a name - Circuit of the Americas. Also, MotoGP is on board Latest details indicate no delays, track is on schedule to open by June 2012 (knock on wood).

Circuit of the Americas F1 track details announced | kvue.com | KVUE News | Austin, TX | Breaking News

Austin GP promoters: MotoGP confirmed to join F1 at Circuit of the Americas - AutoWeek Magazine

2005 Lotus Elise - ForcedFed 340, now at 15 psi and needing dyno for results.
2002 Ford Focus SVT - 4.6L V8 RWD conversion, twice the cylinders and half the sense.
sleeprfocus is offline  
post #80 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Registered User
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gainesville FL
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprfocus View Post
Now the track has a name - Circuit of the Americas. Also, MotoGP is on board Latest details indicate no delays, track is on schedule to open by June 2012 (knock on wood).

Circuit of the Americas F1 track details announced | kvue.com | KVUE News | Austin, TX | Breaking News

Austin GP promoters: MotoGP confirmed to join F1 at Circuit of the Americas - AutoWeek Magazine
I still see no way they have a fully-functioning track, with pits/paddock/seats/support buildings/access roads done by next June.

coincidence that MotoGP signed up starting in 2013?

I also don't see 3 MotoGP races being supported in the US, unless someone starts heavily promoting the US riders in that series (particularly Spies and Hayden)
GuyIncognito is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > The Racing Den

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome