It's official! F1 coming to Texas in 2012 - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Supporting Vendors

Hopefully it will be ready to go! I can't wait for the F1 race!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
I still see no way they have a fully-functioning track, with pits/paddock/seats/support buildings/access roads done by next June.

coincidence that MotoGP signed up starting in 2013?

I also don't see 3 MotoGP races being supported in the US, unless someone starts heavily promoting the US riders in that series (particularly Spies and Hayden)
I don't see F1 in Austin by 2012 either with a June target opening date (these things usually hit delays down the road), but 2013 is a definite likelihood for both racing series. What may be more likely is that another racing series will 'test' this track out in fall 2012, maybe ALMS or Rolex.

2005 Lotus Elise - ForcedFed 340, now at 15 psi and needing dyno for results.
2002 Ford Focus SVT - 4.6L V8 RWD conversion, twice the cylinders and half the sense.
post #83 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Supporting Vendors

I don't remember but the time frame was but Korea wasn't ready until the last minute. Hopefully the American contractors will get moving!

post #84 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill4le View Post
I don't remember but the time frame was but Korea wasn't ready until the last minute. Hopefully the American contractors will get moving!
It was ready... but at the same time it wasn't ready. Porta potties for all, poor drainage, and so on.

I think the same thing may happen at the Buddh International Circuit. It's supposed to be finished in June 2011 for the race that's taking place 30 October.

I'm not concerned about the Austin track facilities being finished on time. All of that is private construction and can be solved by throwing money at it. The concern is the public roads to get to the Austin track facilities, which are woefully inadequate for the expected visitor traffic. That has to be fixed using public funds, which means political wrangling, and public works-scale time schedules.
post #85 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Supporting Vendors

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocube View Post
It was ready... but at the same time it wasn't ready. Porta potties for all, poor drainage, and so on.

I think the same thing may happen at the Buddh International Circuit. It's supposed to be finished in June 2011 for the race that's taking place 30 October.

I'm not concerned about the Austin track facilities being finished on time. All of that is private construction and can be solved by throwing money at it. The concern is the public roads to get to the Austin track facilities, which are woefully inadequate for the expected visitor traffic. That has to be fixed using public funds, which means political wrangling, and public works-scale time schedules.
I don't want to sit in traffic for 8 hours leaving that place...
post #86 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 05:48 AM

...and there goes $25 million of Texas incentive funding.

Excuse is they can't justify giving F1 25 million when they are kicking teachers out of work.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte..._f1_incen.html

So let us see, how many teachers who have been let go will be rehired after this? My guess: Zero.
post #87 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Excuse is they can't justify giving F1 25 million when they are kicking teachers out of work.

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

So let us see, how many teachers who have been let go will be rehired after this? My guess: Zero.
The $25 million of incentive to bring the track to Texas/Austin is projected to bring an extra $6 billion over 10 years to the Texas economy and obviously considerably far more in tax revenue than the $25 million incentive not to mention all of the jobs it is creating plus the taxes paid on those jobs a chunk of which goes to things like schools .........
post #88 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 05:20 AM

It's not going to happen in 2012 amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill4le View Post
Hopefully it will be ready to go! I can't wait for the F1 race!
It's always something, and that something... is just around the corner.

Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
post #89 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 05:25 AM

What happens when Bernie tells Austin to take a hike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texige View Post
The $25 million of incentive to bring the track to Texas/Austin is projected to bring an extra $6 billion over 10 years to the Texas economy and obviously considerably far more in tax revenue than the $25 million incentive not to mention all of the jobs it is creating plus the taxes paid on those jobs a chunk of which goes to things like schools .........
You forgot about what happened with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway not so long ago compadre?

For the record I'm all for this track. Just know from experience that the way this all went down, there's going to be a Bad Moon Rising. Sorta sad I reckon.

post #90 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 05:27 AM

Those teachers will be retasked as Traffic Directors during race weekend dude!

Quote:

post #91 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Icy

Quote:

Here, I found more than $25 mil you can use for your teachers.

"Number of illegal immigrants getting in-state tuition for Texas colleges rises....

Texas awarded about $33.6 million in state and institutional financial aid to those students between fall 2004 and summer 2008."

Here, dealing with this problem draining on local governments would probably help out the Texas's situation too:

Estimated number of Illegal Immigrants (per capita) (most recent) by state
Rank States Amount
# 1 California: 6.114 per 100 people
# 2 Arizona: 4.765 per 100 people
# 3 Texas: 4.554 per 100 people

Estimated number of Illegal Immigrants (most recent) by state
Rank States Amount
# 1 California: 2,209,000
# 2 Texas: 1,041,000
# 3 New York: 489,000

___

I hope I can make the first race!
post #92 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 01:48 PM

Thank you for politicizing this thread with an anti-immigrant tangent.
post #93 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:05 PM

My beloved Lone Star State needs to get a handle on all this rapido amigo!

Quote:
Thank you for politicizing this thread with an anti-immigrant tangent.
Arizona is blazing the path and they're 1000% spot on.

Why is this so hard for everyone to figure out?

post #94 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Icy

Quote:
Thank you for politicizing this thread with an anti-ILLEGALimmigrant tangent.
So bringing up teachers wasn't politicization of it?

Fixed it for you btw.

The fact is, politicians of the area believe doing this investment will bring in extra revenue to the local economy and government coffers. Estimated well over the original investment. If this is not the case, then the people should vote them out. If they don't agree, they shouldn't have voted them in.
post #95 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:56 AM

Politicians are simply hanging on as this train goes down the track hombre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
The fact is, politicians of the area believe doing this investment will bring in extra revenue to the local economy and government coffers.

Estimated well over the original investment. If this is not the case, then the people should vote them out. If they don't agree, they shouldn't have voted them in.
Red McCombs and promoter Suavo Helmund only needed rather clueless politicos to red light all the infrastructure work required to get their baby out of the breech. This track is risky for everyone and I truly doubt it will ever see a profit.

Fun project though no?

post #96 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Going to be interesting to see what happens with this project muchachos!

Instead of attempting to build a Texan version of the Taj Mahal to the Gods of Formula One... believe the better strategy would have to first serve up a street course through downtown Austin. This all is exactly like dating. Appetizers & cocktails before springing for a full meal. Feel each other out, and up... THEN make a commitment or not.

Red McCombs skipped the foreplay and for that he may just burn.

post #97 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 AM

I'm pretty optimistic about this venture - apparently Bernie's known the guy who's putting it all together since he was in diapers, so there is a family history there. The IMS analogy doesn't apply here.

Also, this venue is going to be a full blown convention center/fairground/concert venue destination. It will probably be the most profitable racetrack ever constructed. Furthermore, this will justify all the necessary highway upgrades surrounding the property.

Unlike SpaFrancorchamps, Magny Cours and numerous other European racetracks which are out in the boonies, Austin is already a major destination and there is a hotel/restaurant/nightlife infrastructure already in place to support it.

This track also has more elevation change than Monaco and Spa Francorchamps. I think it will be epic.

Eric the Bastard, Esq.
Sylmar, CA
2005 Chrome Orange Buzzbomb
Larini SE Exhaust LETSLA shift kit Exige Seats LSS Wheels
Lift Point Kit and Jack Helper
Difflow 5-Element Diffusor
post #98 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 04:22 PM

Austin, Texas is my hometown amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErictheBastard View Post
I'm pretty optimistic about this venture - apparently Bernie's known the guy who's putting it all together since he was in diapers, so there is a family history there. The IMS analogy doesn't apply here...

This track also has more elevation change than Monaco and Spa.
Wager you our respective favorite boozes that this track will NOT make the 2012 season.

Indianapolis and their circumstance with Bernie doesn't apply because he knew Suavo Hellmund as a kid?! OK... we'll see.

Spa and Suzuka both have more elevation than this track will have when it ever gets completed. Just sayin' compadre.

post #99 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Fixed it for you btw.
Great, thanks. :-p

Quote:
The fact is, politicians of the area believe doing this investment will bring in extra revenue to the local economy and government coffers. Estimated well over the original investment.
I actually had a conversation today with the fellow who was tasked with figuring out how much bringing F1 to Austin would return to the Texas economy, and also figuring out how much to offer F1 for their business. The $25 million per year will bring about 2.5 billion to the Texas economy over 10 years.

He's not a racing geek or politician, just a smart financial guy looking for the best bang for the buck for the budget he was given. The tax revenue will more than pay for the $25 million fee.
post #100 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Red McCombs is behind this with his money and track record. I know Red personally, he was best man at my Uncle Angelo's wedding, and this WILL HAPPEN in 2012!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > The Racing Den

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in