It's official! F1 coming to Texas in 2012 - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 06:35 AM

You sound like a McCombs PR man hombre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texige View Post
There is some exposure for the state fund in that if the the whole venue went under before the race and after they had paid the $25 million but remember the primary investor is Red McCombs who has written donations to the University of Texas for close to $100 million and he does not have a reputation for investing in losing propositions.
Who is on the hook for all the infrastructure upgrades amigo? McCombs? No. The taxpayers of Travis County is who. You driven around downtown Austin and it's environs lately? Potholes and crappy streets with no curbs... everywhere.

No one cares that Red McCombs has contributed dollars to the University of Texas. This racetrack is simply a shrine to his ego and a legacy for the old dude. No way in Hell it will ever see a profit. Wait and see what happens to attendance after the first event in 2013.

Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since we ran out of Lucky Lager
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickedup View Post
Who is on the hook for all the infrastructure upgrades amigo? McCombs? No. The taxpayers of Travis County is who. You driven around downtown Austin and it's environs lately? Potholes and crappy streets with no curbs... everywhere.

No one cares that Red McCombs has contributed dollars to the University of Texas. This racetrack is simply a shrine to his ego and a legacy for the old dude. No way in Hell it will ever see a profit. Wait and see what happens to attendance after the first event in 2013.

The infrastructure costs is minor compared to the huge revenue boost Austin will receive from the F1 track. I guess you are unaware that anytime Dell builds a campus or any development is built, the county has infrastructure upgrades. They recoup the cost and more from tax revenue generated by the project. You obviously believe that the track will be a huge failure and McCombs is an idiot investor to put $250 million into the project but I have my money riding on him. Why someone who professes to be a car person would post the nonsense that you post is beyond me. I guess old Austin liberal hippy values trumps a passion for cars. FYI: Anyone can look when this post started, you stated they would not get money to build the track, and then you said the track would never be built and then you said it would not be ready in time and then you said ........... sorry amigo, you are 0 for 3 so far.
post #123 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
The infrastructure costs is minor compared to the huge revenue boost Austin will receive from the F1 track. I guess you are unaware that anytime Dell builds a campus or any development is built, the county has infrastructure upgrades. They recoup the cost and more from tax revenue generated by the project. You obviously believe that the track will be a huge failure and McCombs is an idiot investor to put $250 million into the project but I have my money riding on him. Why someone who professes to be a car person would post the nonsense that you post is beyond me. I guess old Austin liberal hippy values trumps a passion for cars. FYI: Anyone can look when this post started, you stated they would not get money to build the track, and then you said the track would never be built and then you said it would not be ready in time and then you said ........... sorry amigo, you are 0 for 3 so far.
+1, already have my hotel reserved!!

2009 Elise

post #124 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 08:00 AM

FYI: For those that want to attend the race but are concerned about the cost, the Austin track is doing something unique for F1. Located in numerous spots around the course are large grassy hills where a general admission seat can be purchased for $60. Obviously the seating is not reserved but most of the hills have great views of the course. Only sixty bucks amigos!
post #125 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:11 PM

I'm not concerned about the cost. I'm just concerned about traffic to and from the venue.

To avoid the traffic, I'm seriously considering parking my car a few miles away and riding my bike.
post #126 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:31 PM

Nobody outside a few car nuts cares about F1 muchacho!

Quote:
You obviously believe that the track will be a huge failure and McCombs is an idiot investor to put $250 million into the project but I have my money riding on him.

Why someone who professes to be a car person would post the nonsense that you post is beyond me. I guess old Austin liberal hippy values trumps a passion for cars. FYI: Anyone can look when this post started, you stated they would not get money to build the track, and then you said the track would never be built and then you said it would not be ready in time and then you said ........... sorry amigo, you are 0 for 3 so far.
Appears you've misquoted me once again but I'll simply caulk that up to your giddiness Fuzz.

Wager you right now that the first F1 race will not take place until 2013. We'll keep it simple, I like Weller 12-year-old bourbon @ ~ $21 / bottle. You throw up your tonic dude.

Welcome an F1 track to Austin... just not by this crew. If Red McCombs wants to build a shrine to his ego then more power to the old man. Let him write all the checks and leave the City of Austin and Travis County out of it.

post #127 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM

The minimum ticket price will be north of $200 dearest Fuzzlette!

Quote:
FYI: For those that want to attend the race but are concerned about the cost, the Austin track is doing something unique for F1. Located in numerous spots around the course are large grassy hills where a general admission seat can be purchased for $60. Obviously the seating is not reserved but most of the hills have great views of the course. Only sixty bucks amigos!
Red McCombs needs to create a salary for his boy Suavo Hellmund. They looked at seat pricing up in Montreal as an example. Projection currently is double the cost to an F1 fan as compared to Indianapolis for a race weekend... and that place has a history and tradition.

post #128 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:48 PM

Without a doubt the most sensible post in this entire thread hombre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocube View Post
I'm not concerned about the cost. I'm just concerned about traffic to and from the venue.

To avoid the traffic, I'm seriously considering parking my car a few miles away and riding my bike.
If you can't get your grubbies on a helicopter... a bike may just do the trick amigo!

post #129 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Red McCombs rose from car salesman to multi-billionaire. Whovever refers to him as an idiot is a fool.
post #130 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 PM

He's accepting donations for The Shrine amiga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Red McCombs rose from car salesman to multi-billionaire. Whovever refers to him as an idiot is a fool.
Need an address?

post #131 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 PM

Though not official yet, all indications are that the race will be November 18th. Austin is beautiful in November. The track is also progressing nicely.
post #132 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 02:36 PM

anyone know when tickets go on sale?
post #133 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 AM

That has not been officially set yet amigo!

Quote:
Though not official yet, all indications are that the race will be November 18th. Austin is beautiful in November. The track is also progressing nicely.
But since it's being moved forward for more construction time... does this mean you lost our bet?

post #134 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickedup View Post
But since it's being moved forward for more construction time... does this mean you lost our bet?
If you have been outside lately, you know that it is hot. But, because you are neither an F1 fan or a track driver, what you probably don't know is that high temperatures pose difficulties for both racing and for spectating. One of the secondary reasons for the mid-season break in F1 is avoiding the worst of the summer heat.

The blistering heat is the primary reason why an autumn date was put forwards to teams for consideration.
post #135 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:15 PM

Au contraire mi amigo!

Quote:
If you have been outside lately, you know that it is hot. But, because you are neither an F1 fan or a track driver, what you probably don't know is that high temperatures pose difficulties for both racing and for spectating. One of the secondary reasons for the mid-season break in F1 is avoiding the worst of the summer heat.

The blistering heat is the primary reason why an autumn date was put forwards to teams for consideration.
Used to do the SCCA thang in the middle of the blistering Tejas heat many moons ago... when there wasn't so many El Sensitivos around town.

Main reason for the push to the fall is the construction schedule. We all know it's hot and what that can do to drivers and their victors. You should have been at that Dallas GP in '84 at the very beginning of July. Great stuff.

Love the Formula 1. Just a lot happier that my beloved City of Austin is mostly off the hook for that yearly Bernie Fee. Pretty sure the city and county will still get stabbed in the end for "improvements".

post #136 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:00 PM

Ever since Bernie announced the mid summer date, Circuit of the Americas has been public about their intent on moving the race back to avoid the heat. No where have they or anyone else involved in the project stated that they needed more time to finish the track. The City of Austin is projected to have a $200 million+ yearly tax boost from the race all for doing very little. Cheers!
post #137 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 PM

Who calculated this most impressive number compadre?

Quote:
The City of Austin is projected to have a $200 million+ yearly tax boost from the race all for doing very little. Cheers!
Ohh yea... the promoters did.

God I sure hope this works out but history certainly proves otherwise when it comes to dealing with little Bernie. Road "improvement" tab is now projected at around $20,000,000 or so. Who will be paying that I wonder?

post #138 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:38 PM

My bad, dickedup. I incorrectly felt that the source of your doubtfulness came from unfamiliarity with racing, when I should have just gone with good old fashioned cynicism.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...sc-310811.aspx

Austin's Official date: November 18, 2012

Other dates:

Following a fax vote by its members, the World Motor Sport Council has ratified, by unanimous decision, the following points:

FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

The 2012 FIA Formula One World Championship calendar is confirmed as follows:

18/03 AUS Australia
25/03 MYS Malaysia
15/04 CHN China
22/04 BAH Bahrain
13/05 ESP Spain
27/05 MCO Monaco
10/06 CAN Canada
24/06 EUR Europe
08/07 GBR Great Britain
22/07 DEU Germany
29/07 HUN Hungary
02/09 BEL Belgium
09/09 ITA Italy
23/09 SGP Singapore
07/10 JPN Japan
14/10 KOR Korea
28/10 IND India
04/11 ARE Abu Dhabi
18/11 USA United States
25/11 BRA Brazil
post #139 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:10 AM

My doubtfulness comes from years of racing and watching racing compadre!

Quote:
My bad, dickedup. I incorrectly felt that the source of your doubtfulness came from unfamiliarity with racing, when I should have just gone with good old fashioned cynicism.

Austin's Official date: November 18, 2012
As long as the local taxpayers are off the hook with the bulk of the costs... I'm all good about this race. Now let's just hope it doesn't ice up early in the season. It IS our beloved Texas after all.

post #140 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 AM

I was planning to make the pilgrimage with one of my buddies who is on the circuit's email list. Apparently they are already announcing ticket pricing. Unfortunately, the new date interferes with the highest of Wisconsin's High Holy Days.....Deer Season!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > The Racing Den

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in