Speed Says Goodbye to F1 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Speed Says Goodbye to F1

Formula 1 Leaves SPEED Network in2013 - News - The Austin Grand Prix

F1: Series Moves Forward With New Media Partner In 2013

Following a 17 year partnership with Formula 1 as their exclusive US broadcaster, Fox Sport's SPEED network will conclude their coverage of Formula 1 at the end of the 2012 season. A new contract for the U.S. broadcasting rights of Formula 1 has been signed with the NBC network beginning in 2013. The SPEED network and their on-air personalities, Bob Varsha, David Hobbs, Steve Matchett and Will Buxton, have been the face of Formula 1 in America, doing their part to connect US fans with the sport since the network started showing F1 in 1996.

-------------------------------------
Nothing quells chaos and disorder faster than the threat of total planetary annihilation. - Governor Tarkin acting commander of the first Death Star
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. - Barry Melrose
Measure your coffin, does it measure up to your lust? - Iron Maiden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Well, I guess F1 just didn't appeal to the Connecticut blue blood WASP demographic that is the SPEED Channel!

I think Speed Channel's overall vibe is slightly below HillBilly Handfishin' and right above a YouTube video of a guy getting hit in the nuts. I'm pretty sure the Speed Channel is playing the background during 'Idiocracy'
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Open Letter to NBC

Dear NBC,

You have HUGE shoes to fill in your endeavor to bring F1 to mainstream American television. Formula 1 has never captured the attention of the American racing fan. This is not an issue of broadcast availability. This is an issue in the fact that F1 is not an entertainment effort so much as it is an engineering exercise. It's this fact that differentiates it from NASCAR. There are no fake yellows because of tyre concerns. This is a sport about fractions of a millimeter. The metric system is alien to most Americans. So getting them to buy into a sport that embraces strategy over side-by-side entertainment (notice that I didn't say racing) is a monumental task.

Part of the joy of watching F1 on SPEED was watching it live. I can only hope that you will continue to broadcast the practices, qualifying and races live, in their entirety. Unfortunately, when FOX carried the races, they not only chose to eliminate the pre and post shows but prioritized baseball over the number two sport in the world. What will NBC choose to do?

NBC, you stand on the brink of a new opportunity. Do you embrace and support F1? Or do you choose to broadcast only the races when it is convenient to your schedule? Only time will tell.

-------------------------------------
Nothing quells chaos and disorder faster than the threat of total planetary annihilation. - Governor Tarkin acting commander of the first Death Star
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. - Barry Melrose
Measure your coffin, does it measure up to your lust? - Iron Maiden

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 PM

Just download torrents of BBC or Sky coverage, and you won't have any worries about the lack of coverage. You can bet on 3-4+ hours of coverage per race.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 PM

I didn't even know Speed broadcasted F1. BBC has the best coverage. I'm not crazy about Sky sports, but I'll take it. SwingLo - you took the words out of my mouth. Speed has always catered to "I can turn left better than you" Nascar fans (no offense).

05 Chrome Orange Elise
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 PM
A1 Automotive & Smog

It's all about LIVE! It's hard to watch something when the result in the internet is already out.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 PM

Garage
Yes the delayed network telecasts have been dismal at best. But nowadays most everyone records and watches later. I will try to watch Korea qualy in a few minutes but will likely fall asleep in Q1. Also recording semis of Chinese Tennis tourny to watch in the AM.

SPEED is a disgrace. They have at times done some pretty good stuff. Won't Petit LeMans be covered by them?

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 PM

Speed was fantastic prior to being purchased by Fox. It was aimed almost exclusively at Connecticut blue blood WASPs in those days. It was a bit short on content, but what they had was usually hosted by David Hobbes and Alain DeCadenet. I miss the Legends of Motorsports series and Alains "Victory by Design" which was a great history of all the top marques' competition history.

Speed's F1 coverage was the best. It was like Bob Varsha, David Hobbes and Steve Matchett were right there on the couch with you. They were extremely educational and NEVER condescending. There were running gags that were at least 15 years old. I fear that NBC will hire the same assclowns that call the IRL races and we'll get commentary aimed at the lowest common denominator while being oversold on the sport as if it's our first rodeo.

Eric the Bastard, Esq.
Sylmar, CA
2005 Chrome Orange Buzzbomb
Larini SE Exhaust LETSLA shift kit Exige Seats LSS Wheels
Lift Point Kit and Jack Helper
Difflow 5-Element Diffusor
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Closer than you think

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErictheBastard View Post
I fear that NBC will hire the same assclowns that call the IRL races and we'll get commentary aimed at the lowest common denominator while being oversold on the sport as if it's our first rodeo.
Exactly. NBC will likely homogenize, pasteurize, and re-process the sport into something vaguely similar to other American racing venues. Likely with disinterested play-by-play announcers who have little, if any, past association with F1.

OTOH, this is an opportunity to do it right for an American audience with behind-the-sceens technical insights, top-quality cinematography, and passionate commentary and chemistry, but based on NBC's recent overall direction, I have little hope for an intelligent choice.

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 06:54 PM

You can bet that the ObamaChannel will screw this up and then cancel at the end of one season (if not before.) I've been a fan of Hobbs, Varsha, and Matchett more than the racing, although the past few seasons have been more entertaining. I'm sure that whatever losers NBC uses as announcers will spend more time injecting political correctness than actually saying anything interesting or informative.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 04:28 AM

What makes no sense to me with your WASP BS is the fact that Speed Channel has become an appendage of NASCAR. This was the last straw. WASPS do not watch NASCAR BTW . I am not one of "the them" you refer to but that was inappropriate.
The correct thing to do is flood NBC with requests to keep the "LIVE" format whenever possible. Morning races were great as they didn't interfere with outdoor time.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
What makes no sense to me with your WASP BS is the fact that Speed Channel has become an appendage of NASCAR. This was the last straw. WASPS do not watch NASCAR BTW . I am not one of "the them" you refer to but that was inappropriate.
The correct thing to do is flood NBC with requests to keep the "LIVE" format whenever possible. Morning races were great as they didn't interfere with outdoor time.
Methinks you missed the sarcasm

I think we are all saying the same thing

Maybe the new 'Rush' movie about James Hunt will help
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Yeah one of the great things about F1 as a sport is that the Euro races were in our mornings. That freed up the productive part of the day.

The Australian and Asian races are in the very difficult wee hours, so recording and watching early in the mornings works great (as this last weekend. Race was really boring but that's another story).

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 05:25 AM

Speed sucked as covering F1. Speed sucks at covering auto sports. They really only cover Nascar. NBC will do a better job.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus90 View Post
Speed sucked as covering F1. Speed sucks at covering auto sports. They really only cover Nascar. NBC will do a better job.
Really?! Here's what Speed provided for US F1 fans:

Live coverage of Free Practice 2
Live coverage of Qualifying
Live 30 minute Pre-Race Show
Live coverage of the ENTIRE Race, post race awards ceremony and interviews
A review show dedicated to the previous race - F1 Debrief

What sucked about that? I promise you won't get better coverage out of NBC. At best, they'll have some spotty internet feed of Qualifying and televised race coverage that starts the moment P1 crosses the start line and ends the moment P1 crosses the finish line.

- Shine
2005 Elise, Ardent Red, Manual Winders
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine View Post
Really?! Here's what Speed provided for US F1 fans:

Live coverage of Free Practice 2
Live coverage of Qualifying
Live 30 minute Pre-Race Show
Live coverage of the ENTIRE Race, post race awards ceremony and interviews
A review show dedicated to the previous race - F1 Debrief

What sucked about that? I promise you won't get better coverage out of NBC. At best, they'll have some spotty internet feed of Qualifying and televised race coverage that starts the moment P1 crosses the start line and ends the moment P1 crosses the finish line.
True, true, it was better than nothing, but it still was barely something. look at all the resources and time spent on nascar. in the big picture speed sucks, they could do a lot more for the automotive hobby/community. now they're broadcasting WWF fighting! what do you expect from fox? the real issue is will NBC broadcast all the races or just a few? i don''t think they'll have any qualy or debrief shows.

tomas
87 esprit hci, red/black
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkoski View Post
You can bet that the ObamaChannel will screw this up and then cancel at the end of one season (if not before.) I've been a fan of Hobbs, Varsha, and Matchett more than the racing, although the past few seasons have been more entertaining. I'm sure that whatever losers NBC uses as announcers will spend more time injecting political correctness than actually saying anything interesting or informative.
I would think we will see Hobbs for sure and probably most of the team jump ship to NBC. Just not talking about it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

LZ LoLo survivor
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 AM

I suggest you watch BBC coverage of F1 and you will see what better coverage is. Speed as a channel does a poor overall job of presenting auto sports. Nascar is a just a demolition derby at high speed. if anyone gets in your way ram them.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus90 View Post
I suggest you watch BBC coverage of F1 and you will see what better coverage is. Speed as a channel does a poor overall job of presenting auto sports. Nascar is a just a demolition derby at high speed. if anyone gets in your way ram them.
speed is so concerned with their image that their contact us section on their webpage has a nascar tv category. fox let it go to the dumps.

Where/how can we see bbc or sky coverage of F1 here in the US?

tomas
87 esprit hci, red/black
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Where/how can we see bbc or sky coverage of F1 here in the US?[/QUOTE]

Please, do tell! I watch the BBC...a lot of Gordon Ramsey... Cool... Top Gear boys trashing Americans as often as they can.... not as cool... But no F1

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

LZ LoLo survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > The Racing Den

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in