The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Yup, 2009 Formula 1 cars are UGLY!! :(

13K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Spudboy 
#1 ·
See less See more
#7 ·
New rules...

2009 Formula One season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rule changes
On 22 December 2006, the FIA released the technical regulations for the 2009 season[36].
Along with changes to bodywork, vehicle weight and tyre size, the document includes details of a "Kinetic Energy Recovery System", or KERS. This is a regenerative brake device that is designed to recover some of the vehicle's kinetic energy that is normally dissipated as heat during braking. The recovered energy could be stored electrically, in a battery or supercapacitor, or mechanically, in a flywheel, for use as a source of additional accelerative power at the driver's discretion.
After being banned since the 1998 Formula One season, slick tyres will be provided by Bridgestone in 2009.[37]
There will also be a cap on team budgets starting in the 2009 season.[38]
Section 3.18 of the regulations contains details of "driver adjustable bodywork". The angle of incidence of elements in a defined area forward of the front wheels can be varied by up to 6 degrees and adjusted by direct driver input. A maximum of 2 adjustments can be made on any lap. In recent testing in Spain BMW appear to be the first team to test such a system on a modified F1.08 chassis.
The Williams F1 team are the first to have tested the new 2009 aero elements, initaily debuting their new rear wing at Valencia, and most recently testing both front and rear wing elements.
On 5 November 2008, the FIA announced that engine life would be extended from two to three races[32]. The decision is part of the governing body's continuing push to lower the costs in Formula 1. Rules regarding engine-change penalties are expected to remain the same, with each driver allowed one free "joker" change, after which a new engine will mean a drop of ten places on the grid. [39]

#8 ·
This is very interesting.

Section 3.18 of the regulations contains details of "driver adjustable bodywork". The angle of incidence of elements in a defined area forward of the front wheels can be varied by up to 6 degrees and adjusted by direct driver input. A maximum of 2 adjustments can be made on any lap.

#12 ·
it does look kinda ugly, but not that bad as some might have put it, the car looks like that because of rule changes and regualtions, as long as these cars provide great racing and entertainment im all for it!!!

anyone have pics of the Ferrari or the McLaren cars yet?

#14 ·
The decision is part of the governing body's continuing push to lower the costs in Formula 1.
Which, of course, is why they keep changing the rules and mandating things like KERS. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with the changes or KERS necessarily; but, it seems hypocritical to say that they're trying to reduce costs when new aero, tire, KERS, etc likely require a sizable R&D budget. I would think that making an engine have to last 50% longer would have costs as well. Even if it didn't, all of the other changes I think would seriously overshadow any 'savings'.

#15 ·
Agree 100%.

Regarding the appearance, this is a long way from the gorgeous Ferrari that Mansell raced (1990-ish), but I do prefer the look minus the winglets of the last few years.

#16 ·
these are interm cars with 08 chassis and body with 09 tires and wings, i'm sure they'll look more integrated come the launches next spring, the three best looking modern f1 cars, lotus 99, '90 ferrari and 91 jordan

#18 ·
If you just take a quick glance at it... looks like a drag car with disproportionately huge wheels and tall wings.:huh:

#19 ·
damn, that's ugly. I wonder if this is going be like a clean slate for all the teams. In that, the teams that were strong will become weaker and vice versa.

#20 ·
Don't think so. The top teams can afford to do way more R&D, so they will always have an advantage. Maybe not as much as in the past, but I don't expect Force India to be fighting with Ferrari next year. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.