new 2014 lotus evora 2/2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

new 2014 lotus evora 2/2

hi everyone.. Ihave had the oppurtunity to own an elise, and now my second evora..I have metallic black... and wondering after each "spin", what should i wipe the car down with ... I have camoise and soft car cloths...and wondering if damp water will work without showing swirl marks.... so what do you recommend to clean the car off after each drive ?? thankyou!! Tamara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 08:22 AM

Garage
As a general rule, to avoid swirl marks (especially on a black car) you want to touch the paint as infrequently and lightly as possible. I've actually moved to only washing my Elise a couple of times per year to accommodate this, but I don't drive it everyday and it's always in a garage so it stays very clean anyway.

But anytime you are taking a towel, sponge or wash mit and running it across your car it picks up dirt and that dirt is what causes swirl marks. Most of the time, swirls are caused in the drying process so I know a number of friends who've picked up small leaf blowers to dry their cars with so that they don't have to touch the paint.

You can find a ton of good info about washing and detailing on detailedimage.com's blog. It's a really good resource and you'll learn about the two bucket wash method and some other good techniques.

Basically though, I would avoid post-drive wipedowns unless absolutely necessary (e.g. bird poop or something that will permanently damage the paint). And if you do something like that I would make sure the car is properly "lubed" with something like Meguair's Quick Detailer or Optimum No Rinse solution in a spray bottle. Spray down a small section liberally, and very lightly use a plush microfiber cloth like this while applying almost zero pressure to the towel.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Member Gallery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in