06 Elise totaled :( - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

06 Elise totaled :(

Ok well I had hoped I would never have to post in the salvage yard but here goes.. A couple of weeks ago I got backed into by a guy in front me while we were stopped at a stop sign . Nothing I could do but watch as his reverse lights lit up and he slammed the gas to park the car right on top of my front clam. Waited patiently to finally get the word that the car was totaled... Super pissed but I ended up getting Vegas' 06 Exige so it worked out but it was still bitter sweet as this was my first Lotus.

Here are the damages.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Such moderate

Garage
So sad to see. After I saw numerous threads like this on here, I make sure people can see me in the side or rear view mirror when I am behind them at a light or stop sign.

Oh, and I want the tail lights!
gooberschnot likes this.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I totally agree I had seen too many posts like this as well and I made sure that I was staggered at the stop AND that I had a whole car length between. But alas he was definitely in a hurry and thought he could get to the driveway behind me on the street and I'm positive he only looked through his middle rear view.

Yeah I needed a new one as well and wish I had snagged them before they valued it but unfortunately the car is out of my hands and is off to auction. It would be a good deal I think seeing as there was no frame damage.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Wirewheel might pick this car up!
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Yeah that would be awesome. Should I post the VIN and auction info here?
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 AM

What was the buy back ? Doesn't look too bad.

2005 Storm Titanium Elise
BOE Power
www.jcrtd.com
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

I didn't ask about the buy back as I had my sites on another Lotus at the time if it was going to be totaled.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:21 AM
glb

I agree that it doesn't look that bad.

Did you honk? Did you install a LOUD horn?

For others & future:

1st thing to do is get a loud horn; Stebel in my case. No one hears the stock horns.

2nd, some SUVs, p/us, etc have 50' blind spots behind.

You must leave a huge amt of room. And, as noted above, shave to the left...which assumes the idiot actually looks in his/her mirrors.

We are vulnerable; the trucks are not.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
I agree that it doesn't look that bad.

Did you honk? Did you install a LOUD horn?

For others & future:

1st thing to do is get a loud horn; Stebel in my case. No one hears the stock horns.

2nd, some SUVs, p/us, etc have 50' blind spots behind.

You must leave a huge amt of room. And, as noted above, shave to the left...which assumes the idiot actually looks in his/her mirrors.

We are vulnerable; the trucks are not.
I had not replaced the horn and did lay down on it but the problem was that it was not a slow backup he was trying to quickly get into the driveway and slammed down on the gas, enough so that the van leaned forward giving the rear end more height to sit on my front end. I am looking at truck horns to put into my new Exige as I am not excited to have this happen again.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:51 AM

Why the hell was the guy backing up in the first place?

2006 Black Exige
Chimera R.B.S./ITB airfilter/Composite Worx
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:51 AM

definitely repairable unless crush structure involved.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimgt View Post
Why the hell was the guy backing up in the first place?
There was a house on the corner of the stop sign that had their driveway entrance right behind me. Instead of heading right at the stop and parking on the street the guy decided to then back up from the stop and head into the driveway. I got in the way of his plans.

Also I just got a 2006 Phantom Black Exige so high five to ya for your 06 black exige!
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:27 AM
craigyirush

Sorry to hear about the accident; it's what we all dread.

Can you give us a sense of the number the insurance company is running. I don't see how the damage pictured could total the car (assuming no frame damage).

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident; it's what we all dread.

Can you give us a sense of the number the insurance company is running. I don't see how the damage pictured could total the car (assuming no frame damage).
They gave a quote that just getting the clam would cost 10k then there is paint and labor costs that would another 10k. I was like what???
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:10 AM
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Elise View Post
They gave a quote that just getting the clam would cost 10k then there is paint and labor costs that would another 10k. I was like what???
10K to get the clam off!!!! There's guys on here who do it on a Saturday afternoon. And even $10k for paint sounds high.

But assuming that's a $20k repair, it's still only 2/3 of the value of the car (assuming it's worth $30k, which is on the low side for an 06, though I don't know its mileage and condition). Is that enough to 'total' it?

Have they already written you a cheque?

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:14 AM

Because these cars aren't in most systems, I think most adjusters value their personal time at about $1,000. They would spend a few days going back and forth with shops, bosses, customers, etc, so it isn't worth it. They aren't allowed to admit to valuing their own time so high, so they throw crap numbers together that can't be refuted because the car isn't in the system.

On another note, I was following my wife the other day. She drives a fairly small car (Saturn Sky), and I stopped at a light behind her. She later told me that she could barely see but a sliver of my roof

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
10K to get the clam off!!!! There's guys on here who do it on a Saturday afternoon. And even $10k for paint sounds high.

But assuming that's a $20k repair, it's still only 2/3 of the value of the car (assuming it's worth $30k, which is on the low side for an 06, though I don't know its mileage and condition). Is that enough to 'total' it?

Have they already written you a cheque?
It is ridiculous and I said that exact phrase to the guy. But then that was just the clam so to replace the headlights, and other pieces he was quoting me more than the worth. I ended up getting back more than what I paid and that was enough. I don't have the time to fix it up and do it right, I would if I could have trust me but it worked out in the end anyway.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:

That is not how insurance companies calculate when to total a car. They look at the least out of pocket (from the insurance company) expense and go that direction.

An example, the car costs $20k to fix it or $30k to total it. They can sell it at auction for $15k if they total it. If they fix it, they are out $20k, if they total it they are out $15k. Therefore they total it.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:16 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Elise View Post
I had not replaced the horn and did lay down on it but the problem was that it was not a slow backup he was trying to quickly get into the driveway and slammed down on the gas, enough so that the van leaned forward giving the rear end more height to sit on my front end. I am looking at truck horns to put into my new Exige as I am not excited to have this happen again.
I guess you're relatively new here and hadn't noticed all the thread similar to yours.

Please get a new horn asap.

Note:

1. If you can't see the inside mirror of the car ahead, that driver can't see you.

2. I drive, and idle, with my finger on the horn.

At first, I didn't like the button placement, but it is the cat's meow (whatever that is).

While here, may as well...
Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer) and Sector 111 long thru bolt that terminates under car. (Can’t find it on their site right now for some reason.)

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait at least 10 minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

7. Visit the Uber Thread!

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:04 PM

That is an unfortunate end. Always sucks to hear when an SUV backs into one of our little cars. Happens once a week.

But I'm not going to feel too bad for you, bastard. You got a sweet replacement and your insurance paid out proper!

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in