06 Elise totaled :( - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 06:32 PM
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
I guess you're relatively new here and hadn't noticed all the thread similar to yours.

Please get a new horn asap.

Note:

1. If you can't see the inside mirror of the car ahead, that driver can't see you.

2. I drive, and idle, with my finger on the horn.

At first, I didn't like the button placement, but it is the cat's meow (whatever that is).

While here, may as well...
Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer) and Sector 111 long thru bolt that terminates under car. (Can’t find it on their site right now for some reason.)

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait at least 10 minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

7. Visit the Uber Thread!
When my kids hit the stock horn in my Elise (while playing in the garage not driving!) it hurts my ears. I seriously doubt that you couldn't hear it in a truck five feet away. OTOH, you are right about blind spots. Like a previous poster, I was behind my wife at a stop light recently and she thought I'd gotten lost as she couldn't see me! She drives a Chevy Volt.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 05:34 AM

The stock horn is rubbish ! It's best to drive the Elise like a Motorcycle. My Screaming Banshee has saved my clam at least twice.

2005 Storm Titanium Elise
BOE Power
www.jcrtd.com
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 05:36 AM

Steebo air horn - good stuff.

Not to mention, usage of the horn.

We've all had this. Go to SLAM on the horn and we hit the center of the wheel hard (like in our daily drivers). Forgetting that the horn mechanism is actually on the ring of the wheel!

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 07:57 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
When my kids hit the stock horn in my Elise (while playing in the garage not driving!) it hurts my ears. I seriously doubt that you couldn't hear it in a truck five feet away. OTOH, you are right about blind spots. Like a previous poster, I was behind my wife at a stop light recently and she thought I'd gotten lost as she couldn't see me! She drives a Chevy Volt.

You can't equate sound in garage to outside. And, 5' is not a useful range.

How much evidence would one need to know the stock horn sucks?

A guy here was at a car show. Hot rod backed into him; low speed stuff.

Hot rod driver did NOT hear the horn.

I bet there are 10 more examples...

I really urge you to get a Stebel or ~.

It'a 30 minute job.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:

It'a 30 minute job.
I regret not properly wiring an air horn when I had my clam off to replace the radiator, but a forum mod VERY graciously spent his entire day helping me and I didn't want to add another hour onto the process. I'm concerned that the stock wiring won't handle the stebel's higher power needs. The hella supertones need less juice but are still rated at 12amps which is almost 50% more than the stock horn. I'm so conflicted!

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachItUp View Post
I regret not properly wiring an air horn when I had my clam off to replace the radiator, but a forum mod VERY graciously spent his entire day helping me and I didn't want to add another hour onto the process. I'm concerned that the stock wiring won't handle the stebel's higher power needs. The hella supertones need less juice but are still rated at 12amps which is almost 50% more than the stock horn. I'm so conflicted!
I definitely plan on putting in an air horn this summer got some work that I want to do and plan on doing it at the same time.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:17 AM

I saw one lotus owner that had a full sized air horn canister in the passenger seat, for just such an occasion
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:32 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachItUp View Post
SirLotus would tell you to use the existing wiring to trip a relay and add a thicker power wire.

He's correct.

But, this is unnecessary: Horns are momentary use things. His concern would more involve an accessory that stayed on.

So, I used the existing wiring w/no relay. For 10 or so years, it's been just fine.

Clam stays installed, btw. IIRC, remove panel under frt end and maybe the grill.

Too easy to not do ASAP.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:42 AM
craigyirush

Quote:

It'a 30 minute job.
Same thing when they play on the driveway. It hurts my ears when they hit it. My wife heard it from inside the house and came out to see what was up (easily 20 feet away). Sounds as loud as the ones in our new family-mobiles.

And if you read the OP's first post, he claims that the horn was not the cause, but rather that the guy backed up too quickly.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
SirLotus would tell you to use the existing wiring to trip a relay and add a thicker power wire.

He's correct.

But, this is unnecessary: Horns are momentary use things. His concern would more involve an accessory that stayed on.

So, I used the existing wiring w/no relay. For 10 or so years, it's been just fine.

Clam stays installed, btw. IIRC, remove panel under frt end and maybe the grill.

Too easy to not do ASAP.
Awesome thanks for the insight.
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 09:26 AM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Quote:

He's correct.

Too easy to not do ASAP.
I didn't do this the last time the clam was off, but this is a great reminder that I really should. I thought you could access it with the clam on anyway, once you know where it is at. I agree for short burts you should be ok but what Stebel horn model exactly are you guys using?
post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 10:03 AM

Sorry to see the OP's car like that I guess I've been lucky, I've had the same type of interaction with other drivers a few times and the horn's been fine for me thankfully. Likewise in traffic with people not seeing me when changing lanes, stock horn works and is plenty loud to get their attention.
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 02:42 PM
glb

There is, sadly, abundant evidence that the stock horn is wholly inadequate.

I mean, a hot rod pulling out of a parking space couldn't hear the Elise horn???

Plenty loud, unless your car already has a better horn, is a description we don't see in reference to Elise horns.

I've only been driving mine for 10 yrs of course.

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 02:43 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtinctElise View Post
I didn't do this the last time the clam was off, but this is a great reminder that I really should. I thought you could access it with the clam on anyway, once you know where it is at. I agree for short burts you should be ok but what Stebel horn model exactly are you guys using?

Stebel; see post 28

post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtinctElise View Post
Horn can easily be changed with the clam on.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 01:58 PM
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Elise View Post
Hope it gets repaired properly so that someone else can enjoy it.

post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 PM

I still cannot believe that is a total.....last spring I hit a large dog in my Elise.....I had to wait 6 months for my clam.....but it was $4300....who gave you your quote?! I only had one turn signal light busted.....when all said and done my insurance gave me $6500......but mine was still driveable........and trackable

Sorry for your loss

2005 Elise (Ardent Red)
2015 Mitsubishi EVO
1984 Volvo 240 Turbo
1990 Track Miata
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 03:45 PM

This is weird....mine was hit worse years ago, back when a 2005 was worth under $30k. I think the total repair was perhaps $12-16k, including new clam, radiator, and front crash structure, and stripes/starshield.

After repair, it was better than new. No more rattles in the front end!

Never before released photos:

Including after photo, see what you missed out on.
Attached Images

post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 04:06 PM

There really isn't a rhyme or reason to what insurance will or will not total or what shops will quote. The pool of data is so small, you get a quick sense of the character of those involved. The POS adjusters of the world will charge exorbitant amounts so they don't have to do their job, and the POS shops of the world will charge similar rates to get a vacation.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in