2005 CO SCCPC11125HL32757, Frame Damage/Water Logged - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2005 CO SCCPC11125HL32757, Frame Damage/Water Logged

I intend to update this later with a full rundown and pictures but I wanted to get it posted before it hit any auctions.

My Elise was totaled in a slow speed collision with a gate post when a family member mixed up the pedals while leaving a parking lot. There was a small dent in the front panel on the chassis.

During the process of dealing with insurance IAAI picked up the car by mistake and took it to a salvage yard when I intended to buy it back. While they had it they obviously wrapped a chain around the front A-arm and yanked because they ripped the bottom of the frame where the A-arm mounts making it not even suitable as a track car. They also let it out in monsoon style weather with a cracked windshield and leaky hardtop so the entire interior is waterlogged and reeks of whatever is growing. The hard top has a large scratch on it and was soaked through to the point that the headliner is no longer attached. They lost the keyfob for the alarm and smashed the physical key so now it's a small piece of metal that you need vice grips to use for anything. They also destroyed the trunk lock and it no longer opens, even with the secret trick I was 100% unable to gain access to my trunk. I am guessing when they re-process it they will just rip off the trunk lid destroying it and or the rear clamshell.

I wouldn't expect any re-usable bodywork or interior parts after IAAI has their way with it. The drivetrain is fine and has ~35k miles on it but everything else is a bust. Wheels are also a little warped and require a lot of weight to balance.

Unless you are looking for an engine and the price is fine I would steer clear of this one, IAAI treated it horribly when they took it by mistake and I can only imagine what they did the second time around.

Pics to follow.

"Is it a subtle orange?" um......

2005 Elise - Chrome Orange
2017 Focus RS - Nitrous Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:32 AM

If you need to get in the trunk, PM me. I know a way in after mine got similarly stuck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:56 AM
craigyirush

What a depressing sequence of events. One of our rare cars totaled by
a fence post (what are the odds of that?), and then rendered unusable by some negligent a-hole at the salvage yard.

Sorry for your loss. I would have had difficulty forgiving the family member, but you are probably more of a saint than I am.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
What a depressing sequence of events. One of our rare cars totaled by
a fence post (what are the odds of that?), and then rendered unusable by some negligent a-hole at the salvage yard.

Sorry for your loss. I would have had difficulty forgiving the family member, but you are probably more of a saint than I am.
At the end of the day it's a ca. I'm angrier with USAA who is still actively preventing me from replacing it. Before this I was a huge fan of them but now I'm considering switching.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 12:30 PM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoyomaster View Post
At the end of the day it's a ca. I'm angrier with USAA who is still actively preventing me from replacing it. Before this I was a huge fan of them but now I'm considering switching.
I left USAA 4 years ago after similar bad experiences w/ their auto coverage. A friend had bad experiences w/ their homeowners coverage, I won't waste your time w/ the story but it was bordering on ridiculous. They aren't what they used to be.

Real bummer about your car.

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 12:33 PM

What a sad story. I'm sorry.

Weekend Toy - 2005 Elise
Daily Driver - Hyundai Veloster N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in