2005 silver elise VIN: SCCPC11115HL33186 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

2005 silver elise VIN: SCCPC11115HL33186

This car is for sale locally right now in New Mexico and I couldn't find any mention of it here. I know nothing about the car, just grabbed the vin in person and wanted to report it. By looking at it, the rear of the car and doors looks good, the paint on the front clam has so much dirt in it, it looks like it was painted outside on a windy day. Color seems to match, just not clean in the clear coat at all.

Please post up if you know anything about it.

2005 Lotus Elise 26k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:17 PM

I don't know anything about it, but $25k for a salvage title? I'd surely like to know what damage was done. $25k with those miles isn't far off from a clean title.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

I agree. That car with clean title would probably go for $28k-$30k I was thinking.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 AM

Cars for Sale: 2005 Lotus Elise in Plano, TX 75093: Convertible Details - 364102258 - AutoTrader.com
back up for sale at a lower price, now has a rebuilt title and new owner
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextavo View Post
I don't know anything about it, but $25k for a salvage title? I'd surely like to know what damage was done. $25k with those miles isn't far off from a clean title.
It's $23,000 now. A guy could verify repairs/damage and try to get them down a little. Might be a nice purchase for a driver and track car.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM

spoke to somebody there, it is still a salvage title..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky pantz View Post
spoke to somebody there, it is still a salvage title..
Of course. It will always be that way. That's why it's below market value and still for sale.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:19 PM

I was going to check this out today. The dealership closes at noon on Saturdays and 5 during the week. Ridiculous hours. Will have to wait til next weekend. Considering there are a few clear titled elise's out there for the same price, I am in no rush to check out this salvage title.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 PM

I should start off by saying that I have a business in which I buy salvage, CD, BOS and PO cars on the side. I have a "real" job that has nothing to do with the industry. Having said that, I am currently looking for a sub 20k elise to beat up at the track and enjoy on hot Texas days.

Ive driven 2 elise (is that plural?) The first, nearly 8 months ago one handled amazing. I even stalled twice as I wasnt ready for 1. how heavy the clutch was going to be, 2. you dont get help in moving the car just from releasing the clutch. Ive driven, ferrari's, lambo's, maserati's, and porsche's nothing compares to the elise. Love at first drive. However, I felt like the gas pedal was missing something....

Enter this silver elise being sold here in Plano, TX for 22k. I finally booked a time to check it out. One to see if I could negotiate sub 20k, and two for you guys interested.

The guy selling it is a very nice guy, felt like I was talking to a friend the whole time. The car was hit on the rear left. The whole rear end has been repainted with what I think was an original white rear clam. From what I could tell it looked like a light hit on the rear. How light I dont know, Im trying to get a look at more salvage elise's up close. I couldnt tell if anything beyond the clam was damaged, it really looked like it was rear clam only.

The front is a bit of a different story, two things caught my eye. I didnt get a picture of it but when you open the door if you looked inside the hinge there was a bit of damage on the door frame. A very small bit maybe 2 inches worth of a jagged edge on what should be smooth.

Second is I took a pic of the underbody. I saw what looked like glue...I've never used glue before. If I ever wanted to hold two pieces of anything together it was always with top notch weld work. I might even be able to get away with panels, but I've never used glue. I dont know if this is something common in the elise. I've just never seen it on the underbody in my experience with vehicles on the side.

A quick google shows that this exact glue shows up in different places on the elise?? I'd be happy to hear if anyone has any insight on this

Drive. This car drove amazing. The other elise I drove simply didnt drive like this. The other elise handled well but the gas pedal did not feel like this silver one here in plano. This one the gas pedal felt heavy. The only way I can describe it is that it felt like I was driving the car literally with my foot. I feel like this is the way all elise are supposed to feel, but Ive only driven two and need to drive a few more. And possibly more than just a "test drive." I should also say something was wrong with the shift knob in getting the car into reverse. The other elise I drove it was really easy to get into reverse. This one you had to unscrew the knob a bit before you could put the car into reverse. Not sure what was up with that. But I am sure its an easy fix.

In the end, I decided to keep looking, at 22k, there are some examples for sale that have clear titles at or a bit more than this. Titles that are "clear" should be salvage and vice versa. This car could be worth it to another buyer. I need to know more about the elise in general, and I do want to drive more before I put down 22k. And it felt like it was on the high end for me.

Im in no rush though, the right elise will pop up at the right time, and it will probably have a bit more damage than this one. I already have a rear clam. Hope this helps someone. If anyone needs me to check out anything else I am 10 minutes away from this dealer and would be happy to help

Last edited by Quash; 02-02-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: shift knob details
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 09:21 AM

They glued the frames together, rather than welding them. That is totally normal and there is a clip on youtube showing the entire development story.

You can't really tell the extent of frame/suspension damage by the clam damage.

Good luck
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Abe

Quash, make sure ANY Elise you purchase, has the oil line recall performed and it probably goes without saying but there's still things you need to do to the car before tracking it...good luck

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:34 AM

It's on LemonFree.com also

Silver 2005 LOTUS ELISE for sale in Plano Texas VIN: SCCPC11115HL33186 | LemonFree.com

Cheers
2005 MB, Red interior, sport/tour packs, stage 2 exhaust
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 05:41 PM

I've owned this car for the last couple years not sure why it was a salvage been over it top to bottom Quash's assessment is incorrect this car has NOT been hit in the left rear and the paint on the rear clam is the original paint the front clam has had a coat of clear not a very good job but was able to sand and polish out most out, not much info comes back from accident reports really vague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in