BEWARE THE SALVAGE ELISE ON EBAY - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 08:14 PM
Absolute power does what?

Ok guys, let's remain calm, ok? It definitely seems like something funky is going on with this listing so we should leave it at that and stop the back and forth attacks, ok? There's no reason to go accusing folks of this or that - let's just present the information and/or our points without all that, cool?

Either way seems to be a car an informed member would either stay away from or go into eyes open.

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 12:03 AM

Garage
Again i talked with the guy that selling the car and he is being fraudulent with his wording. He is making it seem when he purchased the car that it had a clean title and was totaled and salvaged after the car was hit in the front then fixed in his possession. Nothing more to say. Car was damaged badly and fixed and then hit again. Hopefully someone doesn't get screwed on this deal but just be a lesson learned research before you buy!
post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDJ74 View Post
Again i talked with the guy that selling the car and he is being fraudulent with his wording. He is making it seem when he purchased the car that it had a clean title and was totaled and salvaged after the car was hit in the front then fixed in his possession. Nothing more to say. Car was damaged badly and fixed and then hit again. Hopefully someone doesn't get screwed on this deal but just be a lesson learned research before you buy!
For what it's worth, with such a clear misrepresentation you can also take him to court after you buy. The difference between eBay and buying a used car on autotrader or something like that is that eBay is a contract. It's a clear description linked to a price based on that description and then money exchanges hands based on that description. The "buyer beware" idea of used cars doesn't work quite the same way on eBay, as the seller has a much higher responsibility (legally) to be honest in the description.

In this particular example, if the buyer pays the deposit with their credit card, getting the $2000 deposit back via a chargeback after the sale is done should be relatively easy. 15 minute call to the credit card company and then another 15 minutes printing the documentation proving the fraudulent listing to fax to the credit card company and bam, you're done.

post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Wow.... I wish I would have seen this before I made this purchase.....
post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0c00l View Post
Are you serious or kidding? Did you really buy that car? Have you looked it over closely, was it at least repaired correctly? Assuming you didn't pay too much for it a salvaged Elise, if properly repaired isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If you did actually buy it be sure to post in the new member section with pictures so we can all officially welcome you to the group!

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #46 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
Are you serious or kidding? Did you really buy that car? Have you looked it over closely, was it at least repaired correctly? Assuming you didn't pay too much for it a salvaged Elise, if properly repaired isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If you did actually buy it be sure to post in the new member section with pictures so we can all officially welcome you to the group!

-Ross
Yes I did buy it. I should be receiving the vehicle later this week. I am planning to have a full inspection conducted (even before I came across this post). We shall see what happens. I will update as I find out more.
post #47 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yes I did buy it. I should be receiving the vehicle later this week. I am planning to have a full inspection conducted (even before I came across this post). We shall see what happens. I will update as I find out more.

Do a search for the tiger stripe elise and you'll feel better, haha. Hopefully everything was done correctly!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #48 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
My condolences

This is exactly what I hope didn't happen. One day you think you got a good car the next you find out it was a mess before you bought it. I wouldn't take delivery of the car if you haven't yet and file I dispute for false description/fraud. Unless the frame was replaced it wasn't properly fixed. If you have the car in possession have it inspected by a lotus dealer from front to back. Car was damaged on both ends. Sorry you had to find out this way but at least you can now make sure it's safe to drive.
post #49 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:31 AM

Definitely not the way you want to start our your ownership experience. Hopefully you haven't gone from excitement to something other than that as if you're planning to just street drive the car it'll most likely be fine. The stress of lots of track duty might concern me as would resale.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to try to undo the deal but depending on how far along you are I hate to say that DDJ74 is somewhat right. That was was clearly misadvertised and has a very long history of some rather bad things. That said it'll most likely be just fine and you'll enjoy it for years to come. They are amazing machines afterall.

BTW how do you plan to use the car, daily driver, fun/weekend car or track weapon?

-Ross

post #50 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Umm...this is something you do BEFORE you bid on a car. Nevertheless, don't let some of the naysayers get you down. You got it for a good price. I was tempted to bid if it wasn't so far away and I didn't already have two of them. Hell, if it turns out you don't want it, I'd still make you an offer.
post #51 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 12:43 PM

Good luck sir! If the inspection comes out bad you could always part out the car and make a profit.
post #52 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Do a search for the tiger stripe elise and you'll feel better, haha. Hopefully everything was done correctly!

I already feel 100 % better after seeing the tony the tiger version of a lotus. thank you for that sir
post #53 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I already feel 100 % better after seeing the tony the tiger version of a lotus. thank you for that sir

I would still try to get out if you can unless you have some pretty good mechanical aptitude. Seller seemed very shady, so I'd be wary of the quality of repair. There could be a lot of little things to do still. With that being said, the front suspension damage might not have damaged the frame. I managed to bend a couple control arms, but they failed instead of the pickup points. Granted, that was minor damage compared to what those pics show

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #54 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDJ74 View Post
My condolences

This is exactly what I hope didn't happen. One day you think you got a good car the next you find out it was a mess before you bought it. I wouldn't take delivery of the car if you haven't yet and file I dispute for false description/fraud. Unless the frame was replaced it wasn't properly fixed. If you have the car in possession have it inspected by a lotus dealer from front to back. Car was damaged on both ends. Sorry you had to find out this way but at least you can now make sure it's safe to drive.
DDJ77- Thanks for the heads up with all of this. I am glad to find this out now so I know what to look for then find out when I slam into a wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
Definitely not the way you want to start our your ownership experience. Hopefully you haven't gone from excitement to something other than that as if you're planning to just street drive the car it'll most likely be fine. The stress of lots of track duty might concern me as would resale.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to try to undo the deal but depending on how far along you are I hate to say that DDJ74 is somewhat right. That was was clearly misadvertised and has a very long history of some rather bad things. That said it'll most likely be just fine and you'll enjoy it for years to come. They are amazing machines afterall.

BTW how do you plan to use the car, daily driver, fun/weekend car or track weapon?

-Ross
Ross,
I have already sent payment and awaiting arrival of the vehicle. I am located in Socal so I will be having sector111 take a look over the vehicle to see what they have to say. I am still just as excited to get the car. I plan mostly to use it as a weekend car, I would like to take it to the track at some point but that wont be its main purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Umm...this is something you do BEFORE you bid on a car. Nevertheless, don't let some of the naysayers get you down. You got it for a good price. I was tempted to bid if it wasn't so far away and I didn't already have two of them. Hell, if it turns out you don't want it, I'd still make you an offer.
atikovi,

With the research I had done nothing extremely negative came up. Sure I knew it was a salvaged title but not to this extent, never the less I am extremely excited! Thanks for the positive words and I will let you know how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarpenter675 View Post
Good luck sir! If the inspection comes out bad you could always part out the car and make a profit.
Thanks, that is an option but I really hope it wont come to that.
post #55 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:29 PM

Well with all that honestly I don't think you're in too bad of a place - while it's definitely a bummer that you didn't see this post before buying you did get it at a truly great price and you've chosen a great shop to look it over. I wouldn't be too worried for street driving as you're not really going to be stressing it out but would listen to what Sector has to say about tracking it. Worst case scenario you truly could part it out for more than you paid for it (most likely quite a bit more). Even if you had to sink up to $5k into it to repair things you'd still be at a great price point for an Elise.

Please do keep us in the loop, again welcome to the group as I'll look forward to your "Here's My New Elise" post when you have the car and can snap some pictures of your own!

-Ross

post #56 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Zer0c00l, I'm sorry you didn't see my warning until it was too late! Let us know how the inspection comes out. However, I am happy that another Lotus is coming to SoCal. What city are you located in?

2005 Nightfall Blue Lotus Elise with ACT LE1-XTSS
post #57 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 06:43 PM

Well, someone had to buy it. It should have been with eyes wide open though.

With a front end collision it is less likely the chassis is bent, more likely that suspension attachment points were bent or ripped from the previous accident pictures. Even though some disagree, these chassis can be fixed properly.

Let us know how the inspection goes, you have a great/supportive community here to help out.
post #58 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 PM

His contract with you re: the car contains false information / advertisement. I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure he is obligated to buy it back and refund you for the price of the car plus any associated expenses due to his contract violation (or if you settle on reimbursement for the misrepresentation you could do it that way).
post #59 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

He started the auction at about 15k with no reserve. Maybe you could at least get an adjustment.

2005 Nightfall Blue Lotus Elise with ACT LE1-XTSS
post #60 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSanDiego View Post
Zer0c00l, I'm sorry you didn't see my warning until it was too late! Let us know how the inspection comes out. However, I am happy that another Lotus is coming to SoCal. What city are you located in?
I am in irvine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in