BEWARE THE SALVAGE ELISE ON EBAY - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 AM

The front crash box is what I would suspect wasn't replaced correctly (I wouldn't trust a "repaired" crash box), along with possible suspension pickup point issues.

But some of you seem to be forgetting he paid $16k for this car - far below non-salvage market value. Yes, the seller misrepresented the car, but the price paid was fair nonetheless, in my opinion. I came very close to bidding on this, but went in another direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:46 AM
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxen View Post
The front crash box is what I would suspect wasn't replaced correctly (I wouldn't trust a "repaired" crash box), along with possible suspension pickup point issues.

But some of you seem to be forgetting he paid $16k for this car - far below non-salvage market value. Yes, the seller misrepresented the car, but the price paid was fair nonetheless, in my opinion. I came very close to bidding on this, but went in another direction.
Why is non-salvage market value relevant? Even in the best case scenario (no chassis damage), it's a salvage title car. And if what you say about the crash box is right, it may only be a parts car.

I'd advise the buyer to ask for a refund (though maybe waiting for Sector's inspection won't affect his ability to dispute the sale?). There are lots of solid Elises out there, both salvage and clean title.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #63 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
I'd advise the buyer to ask for a refund.
This isn't K-Mart. Cars are sold as is. Buyer had a chance to inspect before purchase but declined. You can argue it was misrepresented by virtue of damages omitted but no judge is going rule in buyers favor when it was known to be salvage by the buyer.

post #64 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Why is non-salvage market value relevant?
For the same reason price is always relevant? I say again, without excusing the seller for his misrepresentations, it was a good salvage title price. Many in this thread appear to be hung up upon the damage and ignoring the discount the buyer got from a non-salvage price, when that should be taken into consideration.

Quote:
Even in the best case scenario (no chassis damage), it's a salvage title car. And if what you say about the crash box is right, it may only be a parts car.
The crash box can be replaced, if it is found to be imperfect. Also, if the car was repaired by the insurance company at one of their approved shops, it probably was correctly done (or should be remedied by said insurance company).

At worst, it's a track car, and the price is still good, imho.
post #65 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 PM
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
This isn't K-Mart. Cars are sold as is. Buyer had a chance to inspect before purchase but declined. You can argue it was misrepresented by virtue of damages omitted but no judge is going rule in buyers favor when it was known to be salvage by the buyer.
So everything that was said by previous posters about ebay and contracts and misrepresentation is not true?

I wasn't aware that it was easy to get a refund from K-Mart. Thanks for the tip.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #66 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxen View Post
For the same reason price is always relevant? I say again, without excusing the seller for his misrepresentations, it was a good salvage title price. Many in this thread appear to be hung up upon the damage and ignoring the discount the buyer got from a non-salvage price, when that should be taken into consideration.

The crash box can be replaced, if it is found to be imperfect. Also, if the car was repaired by the insurance company at one of their approved shops, it probably was correctly done (or should be remedied by said insurance company).

At worst, it's a track car, and the price is still good, imho.
post #67 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
So everything that was said by previous posters about ebay and contracts and misrepresentation is not true?

I wasn't aware that it was easy to get a refund from K-Mart. Thanks for the tip.
Ebay is just a venue. Ebay buyer protection won't apply no matter how much the seller lied since buyer must inspect vehicle before purchase for that to be valid. Buyer can take seller to court but after $5K - $10K in lawyer fees, it's not worth it and the chances of winning are slim.

I don't shop at K-Mart.
post #68 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:44 PM
Absolute power does what?

Guys let's just settle down - the sale is done, the buyer is so far happy with his decision, got an extremely low price and will have Sector 111 look over the car. Until they determine there is something to be overly concerned about let's just all settle down and let the new buyer be excited about and enjoy his new car.

I will agree that if Sector does determine there are some major issues with the car the buyer should consider his options, possibly legal, to remedy the situation. I for one am going to keep my fingers crossed that it was repaired properly and that the buyer will enjoy the car for the duration of his ownership. While resale might be tough, especially as this thread will presumably live on as previously said at least he certainly didn't overpay for it. As noted he could part it out for more than purchase price.

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #69 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 06:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
I will agree that if Sector does determine there are some major issues with the car the buyer should consider his options, possibly legal, to remedy the situation. I for one am going to keep my fingers crossed that it was repaired properly and that the buyer will enjoy the car for the duration of his ownership. While resale might be tough, especially as this thread will presumably live on as previously said at least he certainly didn't overpay for it. As noted he could part it out for more than purchase price.

-Ross

My only gripe is the seller represented the sale as if the car had a clean title when he purchased it then had a minor front tap which he says caused the salvaged title. That was complete BS. Either way he can possibly win by parting it out if he has to.

As for atikovi sticking up for the dirt bag he also fixes wrecks and sells them. So you know how they flock together.

To each his own but be honest because one day your cheap fixes like patching oil pans can takes someones life.
post #70 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 06:45 PM

While I agree that it seems the seller misrepresented the car I also get atikovi's point to a small degree that cars are always misrepresented in some small way. And yes, I also agree this was far more than a small way and it's unfortunate that the buyer didn't find this thread and do substantial/proper research before buying the car. Most likely he bought it on somewhat of a whim - he saw the listed and given how cheap it was he thought he was getting the deal of the century. You know the old saying about a deal being too good to be true and it usually is, well case in point.

But please do me a favor and tone down the back handed personal attacks, ok? There's just no need for it, especially implying things about another member. Totally fine to debate, discuss and disagree but we're getting close to the line here and I'd rather we not, ok? 'Nuff said.

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #71 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:03 AM

Well at least we have a new lotus member in socal and I am excited as hell to drive this car.
post #72 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Ebay is just a venue. Ebay buyer protection won't apply no matter how much the seller lied since buyer must inspect vehicle before purchase for that to be valid. Buyer can take seller to court but after $5K - $10K in lawyer fees, it's not worth it and the chances of winning are slim.

I don't shop at K-Mart.
Vehicle is only sold as-is if the contract says so. Otherwise it is sold as described.
post #73 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 07:35 PM

Come on guys, enough of the stupid squabbling and back and forth. The car is sold and done, so far the new owner is excited and has a plan for ensuring the car is good to go so let's please lay off the childish behavior, shall we?

post #74 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
Come on guys, enough of the stupid squabbling and back and forth. The car is sold and done, so far the new owner is excited and has a plan for ensuring the car is good to go so let's please lay off the childish behavior, shall we?
It is very relevant to the party involved. To start he can do a simple chargeback on his initial deposit if he paid by credit card. It will go through and he will get his deposit back because the seller violated the contract. That's $2000 to the purchaser if he played his cards right during the purchase. That's 11% of the value of the car which is going to make the cost more in line with what it should have been considering the misrepresentation of the vehicle.

We've got some guy trying to discredit that information to the OP and he has no grounds for it other than an opinion. The reality of it is the OP can get $2k back with 30 minutes of work and the law is going to fall in his favor. The guy contesting this is clearly a dealer who deals in similar unethical descriptions of his vehicles. This contributes to a dishonest marketplace and should be frowned upon.

Bottom line is my posts are helping the purchaser.

Beyond that, look at this guy's post history. Almost all of his LT posts are about repairing heavily damaged Elises. That means he is someone that is in that same space as the rebuilders, but has very little experience with the matter as his posts range from basic to advanced. Whether he is rebuilding or not, who knows. But he should be made aware (for his own good) that he is going to be in bad shape if he lists a car with a history that is questionable and he misrepresents the vehicle. Just bringing it to his attention could be saving a backyard bubba from a lot of headache.

Last edited by zakiu; 02-22-2015 at 07:20 AM.
post #75 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 07:21 AM

That said, this no longer really belongs in FS, so it may be appropriate to move it.
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:19 AM
not your dad's puns

Guys, keep it civil. Last warning before someone earns themselves a vacation.

Quote:
That said, this no longer really belongs in FS, so it may be appropriate to move it.
Agreed, moving to salvage forum.

because racecar
post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 02:44 PM

Got the vehicle and everything looks in order, scheduling an appointment with sector111.
post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 03:56 AM

Garage
Any update on this?
post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 07:35 PM
craigyirush

Yes, inquiring minds want to know...

post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 09:58 AM

Not yet : ( unfortunately I am deployed at the moment and the car is being taken care of by a friend that hasn't had a chance yet due. Hopefully next week this will be happening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in