RIP 2005 Saffron Elise VIN: SCCPC11155HL30288 - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 10:28 AM

Garage
Yes, give them LOTS of comps. Thier (Geico's) tables do not have data on Lotus. I provided 30+. The valuation will be based upon thier own internet searches and any comps and arguements you give them. I am in this same situation with Geico right now on my Evora. Make sure you explicitly state what options, wheels, mods etc are in it and value them yourself. I ended up gettig a really good valuation! Good luck and much patience to you!

https://www.instagram.com/evoralightness/
2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 550hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)

Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:17 PM
tmr

This one was built just three cars after mine, so no doubt they went down the assembly line at the same time. RIP.

'05 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Sport, HT, Stage II, Odyssey PC925, Cup 240r Wheels
'11 BMW 335i (Alpine White) M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, HK, Ipod adaptor, 6 MT, Performance Power Kit - Euro Delivery 5/11/2011 - daily driver
'87 Nissan Pickup (Burgandy) King Cab, used for hauling stuff
'17 Audi A4 Ultra (Monsoon Gray) Premium Plus - Wife's car - Delivery 2/17
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 PM

The only way they will give you a fair price is if you provide a list of comps. Otherwise they will skew the data in their favor. You should get between $30 and $32K.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 05:32 PM

There is no way in hell it got bent from that fender flare scrub...had to be already bent
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
There is no way in hell it got bent from that fender flare scrub...had to be already bent
I had the car for almost 3 years, did all the work myself on it, been under the car many times, a couple of alignments and never had an issue. Unless it was damaged between alignments then I don't know what say.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 06:29 PM

Question, how bad was is pulling after the accident, did they check control arms, bushings?, could they actually see we're the frame was bent? An impact like that should bent the suspension arm mounting points only?
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM

Garage
If the wheel took the brunt of the hit, that impact could have easily been transferred through the suspension and to the frame I'd imagine?

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 PM

The only way they will give you a fair price is if you provide a list of comps. Otherwise they will skew the data in their favor. You should get between $30 and $32K.

Sorry to say I got that for an 07. GL
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarov View Post
If the wheel took the brunt of the hit, that impact could have easily been transferred through the suspension and to the frame I'd imagine?
I agree with Chiarov. the suspension is designed to be sacrificial to protect the frame. However if the force was perpendicular to the car, then the A arms are loaded in such a way that they would be in compression and not give thus transferring load to frame.

Also, most insurance companies are not out to screw you (some cowboy adjusters might be like that but not usually the company). The problem the adjuster has is they need to justify the number, especially when its a big number. Since there is limited data in their database, they have to find supporting information. They try to come up with a number, but as you know, most of these cars are now trading private party so the system has very little Real Transaction Price data. I agree with the LT group and do the leg work, provide as many comps as you can to reflect the true actual price. Make sure your adjuster understands the market for these cars has shifted upward dramatically in last 18 months so anything more that a year old is pretty useless. Keep in mind that private party pricing is about 10-20% lower than Retail prices at dealer lots. The insurance company is suppose to give you the Retail value of the car from a dealer lot. Although you can use private party data to come up with a number, at the end I think you can make an argument that your number should be higher than those reflected by PP

Also, if your with a Direct Agent company such as AllState or State Farm, make sure you keep your agent informed. A lot of times they can act as a mediator to make sure the process is handled fairly. If your with a internet company , I am sure "Jennifer" from the New Deli call center can be of help.

I am amazed how many guys with wrecked cars seem to have to struggle through this process alone. Here my suggestion to all........get a real agent. Make sure he is a "car guy" If you go to his office and there are more golf pictures than car pictures, find someone else. Let him get to know you and your car. Trust me, he will save you real money using programs that his company offers for these types of vehicles. Then if something happens, he will
"Get It " and work with you to resolve your problem. No upstanding Car guy would leave a brother hanging !!

Most internet carriers do not handle the specialty cars very well, they are about numbers. But the Direct Agent companies usually have programs to support these types of vehicle ownership. This helps the agent develop a stronger foothold into the customer relationship, thus developing loyalty and insulating the account .

brake!brake! BRAKE!! Ross Bently
1971 Austin Mini Cooper
2013 Mini Cooper Countryman S ALL4
2008 Acura MDX

Last edited by 93viperrt10; 03-06-2014 at 03:55 AM.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 02:11 PM

I'll buy it just to get the RR side marker light!

Seriously, sorry to hear about that happening. Hit and run just sucks.
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 04:10 PM

Silver_Surfer

Do you have any photos of the left front suspension behind the wheel?

-- Bob
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
Silver_Surfer

Do you have any photos of the left front suspension behind the wheel?

-- Bob
Sorry I don't. The car was taken 12/13/13 and I never saw it again.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Less W8

This car is now for sale on Craigslist in San Diego. $29.5K
Ian
Keep looking!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triloduc View Post
This car is now for sale on Craigslist in San Diego. $29.5K
Ian
Keep looking!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
What??? That is crazy. Hopefully the buyer will come here first and do his research!
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 05:22 AM

I'm late to the thread... but did you ever find out exactly how the chassis was damaged? Was there a possibility that the wishbones, steering arm, rack, etc. were damaged, and not the chassis?
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apk919 View Post
I'm late to the thread... but did you ever find out exactly how the chassis was damaged? Was there a possibility that the wishbones, steering arm, rack, etc. were damaged, and not the chassis?
The thing is, we or silver_surfer rather, never had a chance to look at the car after it wouldn't align. I suppose there's always that possibility, especially the less than stellar quality of work found at Euromotorcars.

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 09:34 AM

The same thing happened to my Elise, but it was all cosmetic damage.
I only had to replace the marker light. I did it myself without submitting a claim.

There is no way you have frame damage from such a superficial impact.
I would get a second opinion.

Like another poster said....the frame may have been previously damaged.

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Less W8

Hi,

I was that potential buyer!

And consider myself lucky to have thought to look here.

Trouble is now, straight or not, the car is tainted with this and will never be a 'clean' car again. Not something to be spending $30K on!

Ian
Rust is not a finish.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 05:03 PM

Now on ebay

Edit: Not affiliated

“The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell

John 3:16
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 12:06 PM
craigyirush

Just came across this thread. Does anyone know if the frame was bent from the side-swipe? Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Haven't had a chance to get the body checked yet so really hoping the consensus opinion in the thread is right!

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in