SCCVC11187HL83321 declared total loss - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:03 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronosWS View Post
The A048s. I hadn't swapped on my winter tires yet as it happened - that might have made the difference. Alas...
I agree.

Once hydroplaned from Boston to NJ. Became the slowest vehicle on highway, with even trucks passing me.

Those tires do not handle standing water, especially in cooler weather. Nor were they designed to.

When my Toyota engineer friend drove me to pick up my new Elise, he said "You realize that if the guy in the car in front of you spits out the window, you'll spin. Right?"

I drive the car everywhere and am much happier & safer with the RE11s. Yes, I gave up a bit of dry cornering traction, which doesn't matter that much on the street.

Anyway, I add my condolences....

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, went to the shop and took a look and chatted with the service manager there. Here's the deal:
1. Oil cooler did need to be replaced
2. Front clam will obviously need some work (see pics)
3. The service manager doesn't think the frame is damaged, just the crash structure if anything. The appraiser thinks the crash structure is damaged, I couldn't see though.
4. The head will need some work (probably just valves and a replacement for whatever the cam gear was riding on and misc related bits)

I am still waiting to hear back on the salvage buyback quote but nothing has been decided yet. If you think you might be interested in buying the car in its pre-repair state, let me know and maybe we can work something out that keeps this out of the salvage yard. I *may* still go through with repairs since the car is otherwise excellent, but I have to see the financials and consider how much time I am willing to devote to it. I wasn't intending to keep the car in any case so it really comes down to whether one of you wants it.
Attached Images

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:44 PM
glb

Do you want to get the car fixed (vs total)?

You need only 1 oil cooler. Bodywork doesn't seem that bad.

As we suspected, the damaged "front subframe" is merely the crash structure.

I believe that you could fight this on a car that was as nice and relatively new.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:21 PM

I have to agree that this is far from a total loss. There is just so much you can do yourself to minimize the costs. Mine was a salvage title roll over from Chicago. It was definitely too far gone to invest exorbitant amounts of money into repairing the A pillars, but it will now serve as a cut down track car. Don't give it up yet. There is always something you can do with the car.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131470...65540765/page2
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:52 PM

Id be interested.. Please keep me updated on the buy back
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, the salvage buyback value has come back at $12,400. I am still waiting on the official documentation, and I need to have a chat with the shop to see if I am on the hook for any outstanding work/parts (if they ordered the clam, for example, I'd have to figure out how best to take care of that.)

2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:02 AM

If you don't mind me asking, how much did your Insurance company offer to payout if you total it? Also, who is your insurer?

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much did your Insurance company offer to payout if you total it? Also, who is your insurer?
$54k in WA state through USAA.

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:10 AM

Thanks..

My 2 cents.. Take the money and run.. It's $4K more than your asking price. I think buying this back for 12K and fixing it for ~5k ? doesn't make sense when you could just buy another not F'd up.

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post
Thanks..

My 2 cents.. Take the money and run.. It's $4K more than your asking price. I think buying this back for 12K and fixing it for ~5k ? doesn't make sense when you could just buy another not F'd up.
My plan is to get it to someone else on the forum who wants an otherwise well-sorted car that just needs a bit of care.

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:21 AM

Garage
Hi, sorry for you loss - please help me understand...the car has front end damage but the cam gear is twisted off? Can you elaborate more on the damage to the engine? Maybe I missed something about the rear being hit? Thanks in advance.
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspecgsx View Post
Hi, sorry for you loss - please help me understand...the car has front end damage but the cam gear is twisted off? Can you elaborate more on the damage to the engine? Maybe I missed something about the rear being hit? Thanks in advance.
Yeah, I think it is entirely coincidental, because the motor was running at the time the car was involved in the accident and even for a while afterward until it was pulled off to the side of the road and stopped. Note the car *could not have been running* if it was damaged at the time of the accident. Mysterious I know, but you know as much as I do.

According to the shop, the damage was to the gear carrier (it looks like rotational shear). There might also be a couple of bent valves but as far as we know no serious internal damage. Repair work would consist of pulling the cam and inspecting/replacing any bent valves. We don't have any reason to suspect any other rotating-assembly damage but I also have not requested the motor be torn down.

If you were considering boosting up to the Rev400 (which is just a few more add-on parts from the already-installed Rev300), you'd want to do this anyway.

Once I have the report back from the shop I'll post it here so you guys have all the information I do and you can then decide for yourselves

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are pictures of the front suspension and the damaged crash structure. The service center says there is no sign of chassis or suspension damage.
Attached Images

forkmeupscotty likes this.

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Here are pictures of the front suspension and the damaged crash structure. The service center says there is no sign of chassis or suspension damage.
Looks like the crash structure did its job!
ChronosWS likes this.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just an update on this - there is one member who I am working with right now who expressed the earliest interest in the vehicle. We are currently working through the details. If for some reason that falls through, I'll go back through in date order for everyone who expressed an interest (here or in PM) and offer the vehicle with all the original sale item bits as-is for the $12,400 + fees/shipping. I am not going be trying to part it out and make any more money off it unless someone just doesn't want some of the parts. My loss is your gain?

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:02 AM

I still say make the insurance company an offer, they have to transport, then auction which entails risk.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 AM
craigyirush

There should be a sticky on LT about NOT driving in the cold and wet on AO48s! How many of these rare cars have been crashed and totaled because no one bothered to put on tires appropriate to the weather?

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
I still say make the insurance company an offer, they have to transport, then auction which entails risk.
On general principle I can't do that - I feel like I am already making out like a bandit since they are offering me more than I expected to get at sale (and more than my original asking price.) Also my insurance company has never treated me badly or tried to under-provide on a claim.

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
There should be a sticky on LT about NOT driving in the cold and wet on AO48s! How many of these rare cars have been crashed and totaled because no one bothered to put on tires appropriate to the weather?
Its kinda funny because I had just put new tires on this car - previously I was running a different set. It wasn't really intended to be driven any more, just sold to someone who wanted it. Doubly-ironically, I have another set of wheels with winter-appropriate tires on them sitting in the garage. At least the new owner will have those and no excuses Just goes to show you how one small mistake can have unintended large consequences...

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:22 AM
craigyirush

Quote:
Its kinda funny because I had just put new tires on this car - previously I was running a different set. It wasn't really intended to be driven any more, just sold to someone who wanted it. Doubly-ironically, I have another set of wheels with winter-appropriate tires on them sitting in the garage. At least the new owner will have those and no excuses Just goes to show you how one small mistake can have unintended large consequences...
Live and learn! You've been great about posting all the details and trying to get the car to a fellow enthusiast. I''m sure she'll be back on the road as good as new soon.
surferpkt likes this.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in