Total Loss Final Edition #16 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Exige Final Edtion #16

Lotus Exige Final Edition #16 is total loss by Geico. I have all the tools and documentation for this vehicle. Left driver side sway bar mounting point on the chassis was damaged during transport from Denver to Seattle.

VIN# SCCLHHAC8BHA12626

If anyone need more information in regarding on this vehicle, you can get in touch with me. I do not own this vehicle. It is currently owned by Geico.

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=...oadRecent=True
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Total Loss Final Edition #16

Lotus Exige Final Edition #16 is total loss by Geico. Left driver side sway bar mounting point on the chassis was damaged during transport from Denver to Seattle.

VIN# SCCLHHAC8BHA12626

If anyone need more information in regarding on this vehicle, you can get in touch with me. I do not own this vehicle. It is currently owned by Geico.

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=...oadRecent=True

For the future owner, I have all the tools and documentation for this vehicle.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 AM

That's heartbreaking.

did an idiot truck driver total this by tying it down improperly?

Car is valuable enough someone could do a chassis change.....

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:09 AM

Garage
Damn, that sucks!

6,671 miles, too!

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:13 AM

Wonder how they came up with $82.3K for the value of the car?

I take it that the transport company tied the car down via the sway bar?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:18 AM

Garage
wow... If I were in the market, I'd be all over this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 11:19 AM

I wonder what it will go for?

2010 Lotus Exige S240
2001 BMW M5
2017 Ford Raptor
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (wife-mobile)
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 AM

no kidding, theoretically a chassis from lotus is like 11k.....turn lotsa bolts........................
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 11:56 AM

I can't believe that this salvaged for that. Chassis is $11k 120 hours at $150 an hour tops = $29000 repair?

Realistically someone is just going to weld in a repair if it hasn't affected the suspension pickup point too badly.

Just noticed they had $10k more then that for the repair... I wonder if it needs control arms, sway bar as well? Then like car rental for ~ 3 months at $100 a day...

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Transporter tied the chain to the A-arm. The chain hit and cracked/ripped the chassis under torque, I discovered the damage while it was still tied down on the trailer. Transporter insurance refused to cover. Broker said they were not responsible for the damages. So I claimed my own insurance. I am sure my insurance will recover the loss from somebody.

I tried hard to get the insurance to replace the chassis. However, Geico said it is like building a new car, and they will not do it. The two options that was provided to me were welding the chassis or total loss the vehicle. Welding the chassis was not an option for me because of the diminished value and the integrity of welded aluminum. It would not be a smart choice to try to go after a independent transporter for diminished value. So I just let the insurance total loss the car.

Lucky for me however, there are currently two Final Edition for sale in the US. They are listed for between 82k to 85k. After mileage adjustment, the value of #16 came back at 84k+. (I did fell off a double deck trailer when the transporter ask me to help off load #16, and actually that lead me to discovering the damage. I still have bruises from the fall). Plus I got to spend three summer months with this fun car.

But yea, I hope #16 goes to a good home and that for the new owner, I have items for the vehicle that I can return.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 01:53 PM
RBH

That is unfortunate...
Scott Bowman likes this.

Do it once. Do it right.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 01:58 PM

If the new owner doesn't come through with a request for the tools, If they are lotus branded stuff I would love them for my 2010 S240, I received nothing with mine

2010 Lotus Exige S240
2001 BMW M5
2017 Ford Raptor
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (wife-mobile)
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Sold my Exige S

1. Disclose the name of the auto courier who thought it was wise to torque the chain around the wishbone.

2. I smell a rat at GEICO.

`
Attached Images

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet16 View Post
Transporter tied the chain to the A-arm. The chain hit and cracked/ripped the chassis under torque, I discovered the damage while it was still tied down on the trailer. Transporter insurance refused to cover. Broker said they were not responsible for the damages. So I claimed my own insurance. I am sure my insurance will recover the loss from somebody.

I tried hard to get the insurance to replace the chassis. However, Geico said it is like building a new car, and they will not do it. The two options that was provided to me were welding the chassis or total loss the vehicle. Welding the chassis was not an option for me because of the diminished value and the integrity of welded aluminum. It would not be a smart choice to try to go after a independent transporter for diminished value. So I just let the insurance total loss the car.

Lucky for me however, there are currently two Final Edition for sale in the US. They are listed for between 82k to 85k. After mileage adjustment, the value of #16 came back at 84k+. (I did fell off a double deck trailer when the transporter ask me to help off load #16, and actually that lead me to discovering the damage. I still have bruises from the fall). Plus I got to spend three summer months with this fun car.

But yea, I hope #16 goes to a good home and that for the new owner, I have items for the vehicle that I can return.

Sweet 16,
Does this mean Geico will write you a check for $84,000?
Geico does not offer "agreed value" so you are lucky the current
market value so high. Geico uses "actual cash value" (aka market value).
I just got my Exige insured through Geico so naturally I am curious
if they really do what they claim. -Robert
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 05:12 PM

Damn I want that roof...

2006 Exige
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 05:51 PM

This guy will fix it!
Attached Images

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:01 PM

Garage
The swaybar mounting point on the chassis? That is literally just an aluminum block that goes through two chassis holes. It'd be a piece of cake to fix it. Do you have any pics of the damage?

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 04:05 AM

I am pretty sure if it was torn from the chassis, it would be bitchy to fix correctly

i don't know what the chassis differences are, but on examination, these are 'call for price' so they could be worse than I thought

IF one was in it to make money, assuming a 10k hit for rebuilt title, slightly softening values, possible parts needed to reassemble properly[some things to not come apart well], and the hours to reassemble......

If you were doing it for yourself, the car might be worth more than to a shop, but most amateurs undervalue their time, and underestimate what it will take
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Of course the chassis can be welded. However, one shall be reminded on the reason Lotus used epoxy instead of welding for the chassis. Also one shall also be reminded the purpose of a sway bar.

The crack goes directly from the edge to the bolting point of the chassis. It is weldable, however, the metal composition will change in which it will impact the integrity of the chassis.

Respond from Lotus Engineers in England stated that the only recommendation for the repair is to replace the chassis. For dealer to replace the chassis, there are numbers of non-reusable parts. I believe total estimate value was $34k+ with 10.5% sale tax which comes out to be around $39k.

The primary reason for this post is to provide information to the next owner of #16 so that she/he can be well informed as well as where to find the original items for the vehicle.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

See attached picture.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in