Total Loss Final Edition #16 - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 AM
Race & Pamper

Thanks for sharing with us, this info will help the future owner.
Aedo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 09:27 AM

This is one of those unfortunate circumstances where it is not the owners fault, so he basically has no financial choice but to take what the insurance company will do. If this had happened, say by the owner accidentally dropping it on a jackstand while getting it in the air, we would never know about it.

It is also unfortunate because it will not go cheaply enough at auction to allow me to talk my wife into letting me bid on it.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:06 AM

Lotus will never say anything but to replace the chassis. They have no reason to stick their neck out on this issue.

Unless there is more damage than what is shown in the picture, it looks very easy to repair. Straighten out the base aluminum and bond a stiffening patch behind it. Will likely be stronger than the original if done correctly.

Did Geico offer a buyback on the car? If they did, how much were they asking?
RBH likes this.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet16 View Post
Lotus Exige Final Edition #16 is total loss by Geico. Left driver side sway bar mounting point on the chassis was damaged during transport from Denver to Seattle.

VIN# SCCLHHAC8BHA12626

If anyone need more information in regarding on this vehicle, you can get in touch with me. I do not own this vehicle. It is currently owned by Geico.

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=...oadRecent=True

For the future owner, I have all the tools and documentation for this vehicle.

Sorry for your lost. If you are looking for a replacement of the same car, number #15 is for sale for you.

http://www.hillbankusa.com/car/sale-...-edition-coupe
Akatedjonez likes this.

Last edited by nitro_rabbit; 10-12-2017 at 04:03 PM.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Monaco Dreamin'

May I ask what the buy-back offer was?

01 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6 TME
93 Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2
65 Ford Mustang 289 5spd
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 02:05 AM

Cannot weld this chassis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
I can't believe that this salvaged for that. Chassis is $11k 120 hours at $150 an hour tops = $29000 repair?

Realistically someone is just going to weld in a repair if it hasn't affected the suspension pickup point too badly.

Just noticed they had $10k more then that for the repair... I wonder if it needs control arms, sway bar as well? Then like car rental for ~ 3 months at $100 a day...
Can't remember the detail of the antiroll bar mounting but just a point about Elise/ Exige chassis. One of the main points of the glued chassis construction was that it allowed the use of a a high strength aluminium alloy which was NOT weldable as it is precipitation hardened. If this is welded, it WILL crack.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Buy-back was not offered. Not sure the reasoning, but there could be some legal process between the insurance and the transporter.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 AM
Race & Pamper

Note: both threads are now merged.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the merge. I hope this will be good information to whoever in need. I don't come on LotusTalk often enough anymore because I don't own a Lotus. For future owner, please Email me at [email protected]
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 02:59 PM

From what i’m seeing that’s easily repaired without welding, bonding an aluminum doubler over the damaged area (using factory adhesive) doubler would need to be clear anodized for best adhesion the sway bar bolts would prevent separation....Sorry you lost your ride over what appears to be insignificant damage...Insurance company’s are the worst!
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 05:41 AM

Totally repairable event. May no longer be a collector car, but one hell of a nice DD, which to me is far more important than saving cars for the future.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 04:47 AM

Why is this listed with Bill Of Sale only and no Title?
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 06:09 PM

I spoke with a friend of mine who is a car dealer in Georgia and according to him this car can not be titled again with just Bill of Sale and it is parts only car.
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Sig

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isidore View Post
Can't remember the detail of the antiroll bar mounting but just a point about Elise/ Exige chassis. One of the main points of the glued chassis construction was that it allowed the use of a a high strength aluminium alloy which was NOT weldable as it is precipitation hardened. If this is welded, it WILL crack.
The chassis is mostly made of 6063-T6511 aluminium...that is very weldable. The only part of the chassis that is not 6063 is the floor pan, that is made from recycled aluminium, I think that is weldable also, but not sure.

The minor problem with welding 6063-T6511 is that there is no way to reheat treat the welded chassis member after welding. The good point is that it will work harden and age harden on its own and have equivalent/similar strength after some time if it does not fail before then.

The biggest problem with welding a bonded aluminium structure is that it will destroy the adhesive in the area. Since aluminium conducts heat very well, that heat effected zone can be quite large.

The great design feature of the bonded aluminium structure that Lotus came up with is that you don't get the stress concentration points around a weld, because there are no welds and the bonds have a very large surface area to distribute the loads from one member to the next. So, instead of getting a stress concentration area around a weld, the loads are distributed very nicely through the large area of the bonded joint. The one problem they had to overcome is the tendancy of bonded joints to peal apart under cyclic impact loading. That is the purpose of the 4 corner rivets on each joint; to prevent the bonded joint from starting to peal apart.

So, yes, the bonded aluminium Lotus chassis cannot be welded because of the adhesive, not because of the aluminium alloy. Heat treatment is another concern.

Whoever said that island life is great was never committed to Alcatraz...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in