Totaled 05 Elise My Baby! - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichards View Post
How long does your son need to wait before he gets to take out the exige?
I have already been practicing my laugh for him or anyone that asks. I found out that in Washington State, when you loan your car or let someone else drive it, you also loan them your insurance. Unfortunately this accident was claimed on my insurance...a first for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:19 PM

He's learned his lesson. Surprise him by letting him take it out for a spin with his gf again.

If you dare.

2005 Magnetic Blue Elise, Factory twin oil coolers, Sport pack with LSS wheels with 6.5 fronts, and touring pack with matching hardtop and insulated soft top. OEM stage II exhaust, carbon fiber intake, HID's, 5.25 and 6.5 Polks with JL Stealthbox and Alpine PDX-5 amp, Sony DSX-S310BTX head unit with Bluetooth, sector111 bootie and aluminum carpet buttons, OEM embellisher rings, shower cap and outdoor cover, factory painted console and AC shroud, battery cut off switch, factory starshield.
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doge View Post
Well, at least it's a happy ending!
You have no idea how true that statement is. About this time last year, I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. I was given 2 weeks to live max and I could die any minute if I did nothing. I was rushed to CT Scan then to a waiting surgeon who cut out 20 inches of my large intestine. I then did 6 months of chemo. My Elise was my therapy from all that. I had 14 day chemo infusion cycles. It would take anywhere from 5-9 days to recover well enough to drive. I spent hours sitting in her dreaming of my next drive and reminiscing of previous drives. I had completed my 6 month chemo program in mid March and had scheduled to return to work June 3rd when my Elise got wrecked. There was a void in my life and garage without my Elise. I decided to upgrade. I feel great and now I have something that I love more than my Elise which I didn't think was possible. I feel like the "Force was with me" and the Exige looks a bit like Darth Vaders helmet so I decided to get some custom plates.
Attached Images

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimgt View Post
Very glad your son and his GF are ok. I think you got an awesome replacement and good for you for taking it so well. Will the Exige be the new DD?
YES..ABSOLTELY!! My commute consists of freeway at 70mph for 15 minutes, then 35mph side streets for about 10 minutes. I did not buy a Lotus to look at it or as an investment. It seldom snows here but when it does, she stays in the garage. Last year, I got snowed in at work for 4 days. I made some video's and the first one starts with my Elise covered in snow.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
Yes, let's be thankful for what's important: humans not hurt.

BTW, did you know that (most) new tires need a break-in period before becoming grippy?

See Tire Rack on this.
I had just about 2k miles on these tires. They were only not grippy the first 50 miles or so. I really liked those tires as they gripped very nicely in wet or dry. The problem my son had was he caught the lip of the road as he entered a cambered corner from the side. Two lanes into 1 and the other direction from what he was driving has a nice smooth banked turn all the way. From his direction, he had to enter the corner from about midway and there is a lip he has to cross over. He got the car airborne or too light to grip and the back end came around. Once he set down, his foot had to still be on the gas and he shot into the guard rail head on. The rest is history.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
Man you're in a great area of Washington for some amazing drives!!!

Gorgeous replacement...glad to hear all are ok...I must admit, I will still hesitate when my son is at an age when he will be able to drive the car. At the same time I hope to have him on the track with me when he is old enough, and I will let him drive the car there...but I doubt it will ever happen on public roads with him behind the wheel of the car...unless he is in my lap, i.e. now.
My 28 year old son has never been ticketed or in an accident. He drove her just fine a few times when I was a passenger. He's a good "Kid" that has never been into trouble. He doesn't drink or do drugs. He works for the same company I do making really good money. I felt proud to be able to let him drive my pride and joy. He is fully insured on his vehicle and I honestly felt he would drive her easy. I'm sure he did, but a 2 second lapse of judgement to slow down and drive safe and sane was his mistake. One he has to live with.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzicman View Post
My 28 year old son has never been ticketed or in an accident. He drove her just fine a few times when I was a passenger. He's a good "Kid" that has never been into trouble. He doesn't drink or do drugs. He works for the same company I do making really good money. I felt proud to be able to let him drive my pride and joy. He is fully insured on his vehicle and I honestly felt he would drive her easy. I'm sure he did, but a 2 second lapse of judgement to slow down and drive safe and sane was his mistake. One he has to live with.
Completely agree with you, and never questioned your son's integrity. I don't think anyone one person one the forum who owns a Lotus would hand their keys to someone opposite of what you just described. I just know the first time I drove one (at age 30) with the sale's man in the car was lets just say...borderline stupid. 60 mph on a 25mph on ramp, throughout the whole 270 deg corner onto I-5 at 90mph, that is when I looked down and realized how fast I was actually going and thought HOLY _______!!!!! And immediately let of the gas.

I mean, the guy had his girlfriend in the car...I know I would show off. I and I was almost exactly as you described up above...a couple more tickets than him...but the same across the board.

Long story, short anything can happen...but I still won't trust my kids with the car on the streets publicly...the amount of pressure I get just driving around everyday is RIDICULOUS. It took me almost 3 years to comfortable tell someone "No." But it also helps that I Auto X the car and get it out of my system as much as I can when I am away.

I know he is a good kid still, and that you Love him dearly...I love mine as well and he is only 4. The bonding you have with him, I bet is incredible and I can only hope to have the same amount with my own...glad he is Ok. Never questioned his integrity. I just know temptation to push the gas pedal a little harder on these cars is one we all fight and resist everytime we get behind the wheel.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 02:54 PM

Happy to hear it turned out well and you replaced it with something better!

I don't like black on Elise, but on an Exige it just looks damn wicked!

Oh, and have you replaced your son yet?
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 03:02 PM
craigyirush

Perhaps a track day with instruction, or a performance driving school for your son...

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
Perhaps a track day with instruction, or a performance driving school for your son...
He is the first to admit that the accident has humbled him. He was a much better driver in his mind than he really was. We have been to the indoor tracks and Malibu Grand Prix and he has always been in control. That is the only reason I allowed him to take it for the night. He said he will never drive a rear wheel drive vehicle again. This "accident" may very well have saved his life by showing him how quickly things can change when driving. He has a new respect for power and speed.
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
He is the first to admit that the accident has humbled him. He was a much better driver in his mind than he really was. We have been to the indoor tracks and Malibu Grand Prix and he has always been in control. That is the only reason I allowed him to take it for the night. He said he will never drive a rear wheel drive vehicle again. This "accident" may very well have saved his life by showing him how quickly things can change when driving. He has a new respect for power and speed.

I'm young, too, so this car has taught me a similar lesson. I started off my first track day nice and slow, but then I got too excited (a personally trait of mine) and this happened:
Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1431649464.005235.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  62.6 KB

I learned a whole lot that day... My girlfriend (now my wife) was at the track but thankfully not in the car. It sucks to learn lessons the hard way, but now I have more incentive to take things one step at a time and not learn the hard way so often.

As everyone else said, I'm glad no one was hurt and that you were all able to make the best of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livethedream View Post
You won't look back now that you have an Exige. There isn't a day that goes by that I miss my Elise. Glad your son and his girlfriend are ok.
He has an Exige, he can't actaully look backwards

Glad this story ends well, that could have ended so much worse.

'06 Lotus Exige, Laser Blue
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
EVERYONE should [have their kids] take performance driving instruction. It's sad that there is no teaching on how to actually control a vehicle and how to react when control is lost in "driver's ed". One day around cones and a wet skidpad and you're a MUCH better driver.
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Vroom vroom

Quote:
I didn't have to see him with missing brain functions. .
I was going to make a crack that maybe he was already missing some before hand, *sorry* but your other posts make him sound like a good guy. These cars have a major issue with spinning out when you lift your foot off the gas in a turn, I would bet that's what happened. As in, he was in the turn, saw that he was going too fast, got scared and let off the gas.

Glad it worked out, congrats kicking cancer's ass and enjoy the upgrade

2005 CO Elise: stage II CLF exhaust, B&M shifter, 5.25"/6.5" speakers, footwell lighting, RLS side mirrors, and 2 Dartholders (caffeine injection improves performance)
Uncage your garage queen and quit being a pansy. Daily drive it!
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livethedream View Post
You won't look back now that you have an Exige. There isn't a day that goes by that I miss my Elise. Glad your son and his girlfriend are ok.
I don't know. I was at an Auto-X yesterday with my nearly stock 2008 S240 and this Elise blew me away by almost 3 seconds. He was a tenth of a second off the best time which was a Caterham. Granted he was an Auto-X fanatic but it was impressive watching him decimate a field of 65 entrants.

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 01:21 PM

So much sadness in just a few pictures.. But man what a replacement! Looks beautiful
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 02:33 PM
glb

Yes, absolutely driving school for everyone. You won't believe what I saw on the parade laps at the Glen during LOG.

I got flamed yrs ago here. After seeing so many driver errors leading to crashes, I said I would like a defeatable stability control. Adds 30 lbs.

Wow, the flames. But, new ones come with it, right?

Yes, replacement is gorgeous.

I understand the appeal of the Exige, but I much prefer Elise without any blind spots.

This, tho, is a matter of merely taste...

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 07:24 PM

So you're the guy that beat me to the downpayment!! Glad no one was hurt and that the 240 went to a good place
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieyko View Post
So you're the guy that beat me to the downpayment!! Glad no one was hurt and that the 240 went to a good place
The dealership had a few interested parties and a couple of dealerships looking at it. Once I bought it, within 2 hours they had buyers with cash in hand. It's a great car and will be my daily driver!
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=glb;4068417]Yes, let's be thankful for what's important: humans not hurt.

BTW, did you know that (most) new tires need a break-in period before becoming grippy?

See Tire Rack on this

I have those RE-11 Potenzas on my Miata as a second street set. I really don't like the grip... too squirmy for me. I've never run those on my Elise (also an '05), but I'm stickin' with my Toyo R888's for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in