Totaled 2006 Lotus Elise (White) 19k miles - FL --- anyone knows history? owner? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Industrial Designer

Red face Totaled 2006 Lotus Elise (White) 19k miles - FL --- anyone knows history? owner?

Hi everyone,
I'm kind of new here (joined in 2010 when I was looking for an Elise, but got 911 instead). Now I'm back in the market for one.

I'm 30 y/o. Young and car enthusiast. Industrial Designer (Car designer). (My work)
Not rich! And looking to buy my 1st Elise salvage and tune her up.
Salvage b/c that's all that I can afford (barely).
I was restoring salvage cars for 2+ years now.

Found one on Copart that I might be interested in bidding on.
Anyone has more details on it?
Anyone knows the owner? (on here?)

VIN# VIN:SCCPC11186HL31467

Any info will be appreciated it.

2006 Lotus Elise (White)

***IF ANYONE TOTALS THEIR ELISE AND IS OFFERED A BUY-BACK, CAN YOU PLEASE EMAIL ME?***
I might be interested. Help a fellow enthusiast to be able to enjoy one of these beauties in affordable price range.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Looks like someone went off in a median and ran over some stuff! Look at that diffusor! I wonder if it's someone on here. Just from the pictures, it doesn't look TOO terrible. It'd be nice to be able to inspect it in person though.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 AM
give me my second cam!

Check the under carriage to make sure its not all dented in. If it is thats the reason it was written off.

05 Saffron yellow,LSS ,hard top and nothing else! 91 Mazda Miata se British racing green with hard top

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 09:19 AM

That car is practically in WireWheel's backyard. If it's salvagable, you'll probably be bidding against them.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Industrial Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
That car is practically in WireWheel's backyard. If it's salvagable, you'll probably be bidding against them.
That's what troubles me....I cannot compete with guys like that.
Maybe I should email them

I'm a young guy starting out and want to pick up my first ever Elise.
I'd be buying it just for myself (not for business or for flipping) just to restore it properly and enjoy it.

(I cannot afford a Clean one). Still have a TON of student loans to pay for
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 02:35 PM

Especially if this is your first time working on an Elise, I would work with WireWheel and not against them. They have the resources to get it done cheaper than you can unless you paint and do fiberglass (FYI the Elise is a non-traditional method and has to be repaired differently from Exiges, Corvettes, boats, etc). Even if you could do all the work yourself, I still bet it would at best cost the same but take much longer and much more trial and error.

Speaking as a guy who bought a rebuilt car from a guy who did all the work himself, there are tons of do's and don't's that you need to be mindful of.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 05:31 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Especially if this is your first time working on an Elise, I would work with WireWheel and not against them. They have the resources to get it done cheaper than you can unless you paint and do fiberglass (FYI the Elise is a non-traditional method and has to be repaired differently from Exiges, Corvettes, boats, etc). Even if you could do all the work yourself, I still bet it would at best cost the same but take much longer and much more trial and error.

Speaking as a guy who bought a rebuilt car from a guy who did all the work himself, there are tons of do's and don't's that you need to be mindful of.

That's good advice. WireWheel has an excellent reputation. Their work will be better than yours.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Industrial Designer

Quote:

Yeah I'm thinking about contacting them and maybe negotiation for one and work together and not against each other.

My biggest worry is bidding against WireWheels. I'll won't be able to afford to outbid them, and if I do...the car most likely will end up being overpriced at that point anyway.

I do all my paint and body work. And I'm also looking for Loti with minimum damage that I can handle as my 1st project. As time goes on I'm sure I'll get better at it. I do this just for enjoyment and for myself. Not for business.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svldvc View Post
Yeah I'm thinking about contacting them and maybe negotiation for one and work together and not against each other.

My biggest worry is bidding against WireWheels. I'll won't be able to afford to outbid them, and if I do...the car most likely will end up being overpriced at that point anyway.

I do all my paint and body work. And I'm also looking for Loti with minimum damage that I can handle as my 1st project. As time goes on I'm sure I'll get better at it. I do this just for enjoyment and for myself. Not for business.

If you're too tight on cash, you won't get that much enjoyment out of it!

I doubt you'd have a bidding war case. They are trying to make money (they are business, after all) so they'd probably go after cars that are needing more work and therefore have higher margins. A salvaged car for high teens will barely break even when sold for mid twenties, so I doubt they'd go for those. Although, I shouldn't speak for them but I've had more experience in this area than I care to repeat.

For what it is worth, my car with just rear end clam damage sold at auction for around $12,000 three years ago. I overpaid at the time for $20,000 and have since put that much back into it (largely from an insurance payout when I wrecked it and could finally fix the awful paint). I have since spent the last three years fixing the work where the guy cut more corners than I can cant. It would've take. Less work to just do it right, but he was both lazy and stupid. I can fairly make that statement after seeing what he thought no one would look at.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Back on topic though, that damage in the rear is SUPER scary. It clearly ran over something that destroyed the rear diffuser, so I'd assume the chassis is toast. Straight, maybe, but definitely going to have some dents and dings.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:07 PM
craigyirush

Quote:

Differently than an Exige?

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Industrial Designer

Quote:
If you're too tight on cash, you won't get that much enjoyment out of it!

I have since spent the last three years fixing the work where the guy cut more corners than I can cant. It would've take. Less work to just do it right, but he was both lazy and stupid. I can fairly make that statement after seeing what he thought no one would look at.

I get enjoyment in just tearing the car apart, working on it, sanding, painting, buffing and seeing the final product.

I love doing the work myself is because if I do it, I know how well it's been done. I've had my parents give their cars to get fixed by other shops and had to redo their work anyway. So I don't want to deal with that headache.

Besides, labor is expensive, but for me it's money in my pocket and joy on my face from working on an exotic car
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Industrial Designer

Quote:
Back on topic though, that damage in the rear is SUPER scary. It clearly ran over something that destroyed the rear diffuser, so I'd assume the chassis is toast. Straight, maybe, but definitely going to have some dents and dings.

Suppose it had dents and dings on the bottom, is that really that bad?
(Considering that they do not effect the driveability and safety of the car.)

Would it hurt the resale of the car sometime in the future?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 12:32 AM

Oh yes!

Past 4 cars I have looked at were bought by Hayes!

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
Differently than an Exige?

The exige clams are hand laid fiberglass whereas the Elise uses an injection process similar to the Alfa 4C. The manual says that these can be repaired the same, but I have seen firsthand that the Elise needs a bit more care to get a lasting repair. This is also why the Elise has those faux panel gaps molded into the clams - the clams were produced as smaller pieces then joined separately afterwards.

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1433244733.093722.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  205.8 KB

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Suppose it had dents and dings on the bottom, is that really that bad?

(Considering that they do not effect the driveability and safety of the car.)

Would it hurt the resale of the car sometime in the future?

I think the majority of buyers looking for a rebuilt title (who are a minority in the first place) would flee from the car even if you demonstrated that it is perfectly safe. Then you'd either have to sell it cheaper or wait for the right buyer.

For a hobby and a learning process, it might not be a bad way to go, but that is a huge risk. I don't think you have a bad idea in theory, but you just have to pick the right car to start with. Definitely would not buy anything sight unseen at least

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Industrial Designer

Quote:
I don't think you have a bad idea in theory, but you just have to pick the right car to start with. Definitely would not buy anything sight unseen at least.

Very good advice! Thank you!

So probably I'd have to pass on this one since I won't be back in the States from my trip before it plays on the auction. Ohh well....
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Very good advice! Thank you!

So probably I'd have to pass on this one since I won't be back in the States from my trip before it plays on the auction. Ohh well....

No problem! Rebuilding an Elise is a bit like getting a rescue dog. Either it will be grateful to have a loving home and be your best friend, or it could be severely emotional damaged and want to bite your head off.

There was a thread a few months back where a guy bought one at auction sight unseen but was able to cancel the bid after the full extent of the damage and horrendous work had been revealed. Google "site:lotustalk.com Tiger Elise" if you want some entertainment

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 07:32 AM

It gets good around page 3 ...

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259...uction-273841/

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 10:35 AM
craigyirush

Quote:
The exige clams are hand laid fiberglass whereas the Elise uses an injection process similar to the Alfa 4C. The manual says that these can be repaired the same, but I have seen firsthand that the Elise needs a bit more care to get a lasting repair. This is also why the Elise has those faux panel gaps molded into the clams - the clams were produced as smaller pieces then joined separately afterwards.

Attachment 558042

Thanks; good to know.

Are those service notes readily available?

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in