2ZZ BOE Intake Cam- No More Wiping - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 7Likes
  • 6 Post By turbophil
  • 1 Post By Jim-C

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

2ZZ BOE Intake Cam- No More Wiping

Wiping intake cams is common-place on the Lotus 2ZZ-GE 4 cylinder.

There are many theories as to why this is the case. The aftermarket cams rarely, if ever wipe, as they're much harder than the stock Toyota cams.

This BOE intake cam is the stock grind but much harder than the stock cam. If you're worried about wiping an intake cam or just want to replace the stock cam for preventative maintenance, this is your answer.

No new tune needed. This cam will marry to used rockers as long as the rocker has NOT been damaged from a cam in the wiping stages. Always replace damaged rockers.

Always LIBERALLY apply quality assembly lube to a new cam shaft journals AND lobes. We recommend Redline Assembly Lube or a product of similar quality.

BOE Intake Cam
Attached Images

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:32 AM

Cool beans!

Any data on how much harder this is than stock?
Is this a stock toyota cam that has been hardened or a completely new piece?
How many miles have these been tested? I am curious how the life of the rocker is affected by the harder cam.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:37 AM
Got Parts?

Good stuff Phil, can't wait to try it out on my cam eating machine.

GATOR MOTORSPORT
'The Lotus Evora - A Rose of a Different Color'
Authorized Lotus, Rossion, Magnum, and Zenos dealership.
Specializing in Lotus service, parts, and performance upgrades.
"Unrivaled Excellence"
3353 West 96th Street. Indianapolis, IN 46268
(855)-428-6767
www.GatorMotorsport.com
www.LotusParts.com
Click here to take a virtual tour of our facilities!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

It's a new cam all together. Same cam manufacturer and blanks that are used in the majority of the aftermarket 2ZZ cams that generally don't wipe...

We did Rockwell testing several years ago, which showed them to be considerably harder than stock...

Not sure of a good way to test since you can't really -make the car wipe a cam-... You're improving your chances of not wiping an intake cam with this part....

Hope that helps,

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:02 PM

Phil --

Dumb question: Now that you have hardened the camshaft, do we now need to be concerned with the hardness of the rockers, or are the stock Toyota rockers hard enough that that should not be an issue?

Thanks!

-- Mike
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
It's a new cam all together. Same cam manufacturer and blanks that are used in the majority of the aftermarket 2ZZ cams that generally don't wipe...

We did Rockwell testing several years ago, which showed them to be considerably harder than stock...

Not sure of a good way to test since you can't really -make the car wipe a cam-... You're improving your chances of not wiping an intake cam with this part....

Hope that helps,

Phil
I take it that you do not have that rockwell data? Can you provide what the hardness is of this new cam?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Edmonds View Post
Phil --

Dumb question: Now that you have hardened the camshaft, do we now need to be concerned with the hardness of the rockers, or are the stock Toyota rockers hard enough that that should not be an issue?

Thanks!

-- Mike
Mike- Not a dumb question. The hardness of this cam is the same as the other aftermarket cams that we (the whole community, we) have had very good results with. Again, same cam makers, same process, just a stock grind so that it's compatible with the stock tune, valve lash, etc... It's a plug and play deal. I still recommend lash clearances that are over factory intake spec. We target 12-14 thou on the intake. Factory spec is typically 6-8 thou and 10 at high point. That is too tight, in my view...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111Joe View Post
I take it that you do not have that rockwell data? Can you provide what the hardness is of this new cam?

I probably do some place. Years back we rockwelled all the major cams, including stock, the lash caps, and the rocker sliders.

The lash caps and rocker sliders were harder than diamonds in an ice storm. The stock cams were 10 HRC points (going off memory) softer than aftermarket, the sliders were something like 30 HRC points more than the aftermarket cams... I'm certain that Jim or I posted this on the forums here at some point... Again, this is probably like 4 years ago...

We tried various treatments to the sliders and the cams to prolong the life. Tried cryo, coatings, etc... interestingly enough, all that science failed and forced cam wiping quickly... the marriage is a fragile one to be sure... Again, we posted about all that way back when, I just don't have the data in front of me since it really only told us what didn't work...

-Phil

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 08:17 AM

Success

I have wiped too many cams in my Rev 400 Elise. A good while ago I had had enough and did a few things that I hoped would help. Well I had the cam cover off last week and the cams for the first time ever were absolutely perfect after about ten thousand miles. Here is what I did and you can debate what has worked.
1) I removed my front oil coolers and now run a Laminova
2) I run a bit of ZDDP in the oil
3) I removed the double Ferrea valve springs and now run MWR single springs
4) I have MWR stage 3 cams but as mine is a daily and track car I wanted OEM drivability and economy so I had my local cam manufacturer machine the lower lift lobes to OEM specs. A bit of an experiment but it works perfectly with a really smooth changeover at 5400 RPM and 16 psi of boost. So the best of both worlds.
5) I run 14 thou lash on the inlets

I think think that the harder cam that Phil is offering will be a great solution to this vexing problem.
Attached Images

2009 Elise S,Rev 400 ,t Ferrea Valves , MWR springs,PPE headers and decat,SSC Harness bar, PenskeDA,Shaved V2 steering arms ,FF engine damper. Saikou Michi catch cans, Modded Toyota E153 gearbox ,60l Proalloy fuel tank , Aeromotive 320 fuel pump,Exedy clutch LSD , SSC ECU, CompositeWorx SP1 seats ,Varexy muffler, Haltech Elite 1500 ECU, Racepak IQ3 Street dash, Aussie-clamhinge.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:12 AM

Help out a stupid guy.......what is cam wiping?

2010 Lotus Exige S240
2001 BMW M5
2017 Ford Raptor
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (wife-mobile)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REKIII View Post
Help out a stupid guy.......what is cam wiping?
I know what it is, and what it does, but someone more specific with their answer probably needs to chime in. Nothing like new OE cam vs wiped cam vs new after-market cam pix either, presentation is everything...

2006 Exige
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
I know what it is, and what it does, but someone more specific with their answer probably needs to chime in. Nothing like new OE cam vs wiped cam vs new after-market cam pix either, presentation is everything...
I replaced my intake cam and rocker pads last weekend due to cam wiping with the help of another LT member. BOE's cam is working great thus far. I'll post some pictures of before/after tomorrow.

For as wide-spread of an issue this is, when we actually went to install this we had some issues putting it in and resorted to the toyota celica forums for guidance. If there is interest, Cyow5 and I could share our thoughts on this- from first diagnosis to install to performance afterwards.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:19 AM

I have a cam install guide here . https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...35237688745869
It might be helpful for future installers.
Jason Alderman likes this.

2005 Storm Titanium Elise
BOE Power
www.jcrtd.com
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-C View Post
I have a cam install guide here . https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...35237688745869
It might be helpful for future installers.
I want to add that remove the tensioner is nowhere near as simple as depicted in that PDF for us. The belt tensioner bracket is in the way, so have you figured out a way around that? We tried every breaker bar I had and could not get the tensioner off, so I just took a dremel and a sanding drum to the backside of the bracket. It only needed a mm or so and then we could pull the tensioner out to reset it. I think we might've been able to unbolt the engine mounts and lift it enough to get my impact gun in there, so is that how others have done it?

Other than that tensioner issue, the process really is pretty straightforward.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:47 AM

Not sure what would account for the difference. From my feeble memory. I removed the serpentine drive belt. Unbolt the drive belt tensioner (compressed shock absorber thing). The belt tensioner bracket now moves freely. It moves enough out the way to remove the timing chain tensioner. or not . It's a Lotus after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I want to add that remove the tensioner is nowhere near as simple as depicted in that PDF for us. The belt tensioner bracket is in the way, so have you figured out a way around that? We tried every breaker bar I had and could not get the tensioner off, so I just took a dremel and a sanding drum to the backside of the bracket. It only needed a mm or so and then we could pull the tensioner out to reset it. I think we might've been able to unbolt the engine mounts and lift it enough to get my impact gun in there, so is that how others have done it?

Other than that tensioner issue, the process really is pretty straightforward.

2005 Storm Titanium Elise
BOE Power
www.jcrtd.com
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-C View Post
Not sure what would account for the difference. From my feeble memory. I removed the serpentine drive belt. Unbolt the drive belt tensioner (compressed shock absorber thing). The belt tensioner bracket now moves freely. It moves enough out the way to remove the timing chain tensioner. or not . It's a Lotus after all.

That sounds like what we should've tried, haha.
@SkyeO

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 11:51 AM

I think you guys are over thinking it. If you take off the belt tensioner shock thing and press down on the swinging arm, the tensioner comes straight off. Easy pesy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Vendor Member Section > BOE Fabrication

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in