BOE TOC Baffled Oil Pan v1.1 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

BOE TOC Baffled Oil Pan v1.1

If you do your own wrenching, then you may find this small update worth big attention

v1.1 of our oil pan includes an O-Ring on the pan rail I hated using glue on the rail, so we put o-rings on our dry sump pans from the on-set with those. Finally decided it was worth it to add the o-ring to the wetsump pans too. The price had to go up a tad, but I think it was worth it

If you're in the market for a quality baffled pan, I think you'll really appreciate this great new feature.

Cheers,

Phil

BOE TOC Baffled Oil Wet Sump Pan with O-Ring

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:15 PM

Sweet, now we're up to 1980s Honda oil pan tech! I keed, I keed. But yeah, sealing the whole pan to the block is dumb. Good offering.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Ha, thanks!

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Older but getting faster

Garage
Finally installed my BOE TOC Baffled Oil Pan v1.1

I ordered it several months ago, finally installed it.

Here are my long-winded, honest "shade tree mechanic" installation notes:

Spend the $20 to buy the oil pan removal tool from Amazon. Just do it.

The o-ring that fits into the groove comes as a long piece of rubber spaghetti that you must carefully press into the machined groove in the pan and then RTV seal the ends together. If Phil ever decides to offer a $100 add-alternate to pre-install this o-ring before shipping, PAY IT. This step took me about an hour of colorful language and persistence.

If you don't have access to a lift, get ready to hate your life removing the old pan. Clearances are very tight and there is very little room to "thwack" the head of the removal tool. It took me HOURS to get the old pan off. When the old RTV mastic finally let loose It felt like witnessing a birth. Ask my son who was helping. I think a cried a little bit. It was THAT kind of elation.

I used a single edge razor blade to remove the bulk of the RTV (sealant) from the pan rail on the motor, wiped it dry, repeated, then carefully scrubbed the surface with a scotch bright scouring pad until the surface was pristine bright metal. I then sprayed all surfaces with brake cleaner as suggested in the install notes and wiped them down again.

High-fives to Phil for selecting studs with hex sockets in the ends. I would have been homicidal trying to install the (4) studs by the flywheel without this feature.

The quality of the pan and precise fit to the engine are extraordinary.

As you torque the pan nuts down in a star pattern I suggest using a marker pen to mark each nut after torquing. There are a lot of nuts. It's hard to remember which ones you've torqued as you go around.

I had no problems at all with dip stick clearance. Refill is now just shy of 6 quarts of oil.

Thanks for a great product!!

2006 Ardent Red Elise
Touring, Star Shield, hard top, remote V1 display and bracket, sun visor delete, micro mirror, shifter fix, Stage II exhaust, de-snorkeled, ITG air filter, Nautilus horn, black LSS wheels, ARP wheel studs, upgraded oil line fittings, ProAlloy radiator, s.s.brake lines, BOE Race Links, Innovative rear motor mount, plastic grills out, all aluminum mesh, Total Oil Control Wet Sump V1.1, s.s. caliper pistons, BWR sway bar, Penske NA coilovers.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:52 AM
Older but getting faster

Garage
Update:

Just took the car for a long test drive around the area to bring the engine up to temperature before replacing the diffuser and under tray.

NO LEAKS!!

Smoky likes this.

2006 Ardent Red Elise
Touring, Star Shield, hard top, remote V1 display and bracket, sun visor delete, micro mirror, shifter fix, Stage II exhaust, de-snorkeled, ITG air filter, Nautilus horn, black LSS wheels, ARP wheel studs, upgraded oil line fittings, ProAlloy radiator, s.s.brake lines, BOE Race Links, Innovative rear motor mount, plastic grills out, all aluminum mesh, Total Oil Control Wet Sump V1.1, s.s. caliper pistons, BWR sway bar, Penske NA coilovers.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
Update:

Just took the car for a long test drive around the area to bring the engine up to temperature before replacing the diffuser and under tray.

NO LEAKS!!

That was one of my questions. Keep us posted if you get any. I've been going on over a month trying to remove my old pan. I sealed it with the "Right Stuff". Going to look into getting the tool.

Is this a 6 quart pan or 7?
So no RTV is needed? If so I love you.

Use Referral# 5172967
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Older but getting faster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by triz View Post
Is this a 6 quart pan or 7?
So no RTV is needed? If so I love you.
6 +/- quarts

No RTV needed, but send TurboPhil at BOE your love.

2006 Ardent Red Elise
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 07:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
6 +/- quarts

This is awesome. On my order list of parts for my stroker build.

Use Referral# 5172967
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triz View Post
This is awesome. On my order list of parts for my stroker build.
None of my business but be careful with a stroker. I haven't heard of one working out. 0 for 4 on the ones I know about.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 AM

I just ordered this pan and was wondering if it still comes with the windage tray I have seen in some pictures. Looking forward to getting my Elise track ready ....

2005 GG Lotus Elise
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
6 +/- quarts

Phil told me it runs 7 quarts and I have confirmed as such.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Older but getting faster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermi View Post
Phil told me it runs 7 quarts and I have confirmed as such.
You are correct, I apologize for the misleading post.

I forgot that I poured almost a quart of oil in the new filter before installing it.

2006 Ardent Red Elise
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM

I might have gouged the block mating surface a little. Still trying to get the damn pan off but making progress. If there is some gouging in one spot I was planning on putting the o-ring seam at the corresponding location on the pan rail and applying RTV there. If there is a raised burr I will file it down first.

Is it possible to use a metal repair like JB weld on the gouge then filing it flat, or would that just make it leak prone?

2005 GG Lotus Elise
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 11:42 AM

Dipan, did you use the oil pan removing tool or did you go at it with a screwdriver?
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Dipan, did you use the oil pan removing tool or did you go at it with a screwdriver?
Screwdriver. I switched quickly to just razor blades and I think the part where I tapped the screwdriver in feels slightly gouged when passing the razor blade over it. I ordered one of the oil pan removal tools and it should be here any day now.

2005 GG Lotus Elise
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 AM

Well the mating surface seems okay. It must be harder than I gave it credit for but I will make sure any surface burrs are taken care of. Getting the pan off was incredibly easy. I'm not sure if it's because I used the pan removal tool or if it's because of the very thin putty knife I used instead of unwieldy razor blades to break the silicone once the pan removal tool made some space for it.

2005 GG Lotus Elise
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 02:37 PM

Many of the machined holes for the provided studs are right up against the very nice looking beaded welds. I haven't mounted it permanently but many of the flanged nuts provided with the kit will sit caddywampus partly on the raised weld and leave a gap away from the weld. Other holes around the oil pan rail/flange have machined cut outs to make space for the nuts. It would have been a little better I think to have done that at every hole where a weld is right there.

2005 GG Lotus Elise
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipan View Post
Many of the machined holes for the provided studs are right up against the very nice looking beaded welds. I haven't mounted it permanently but many of the flanged nuts provided with the kit will sit caddywampus partly on the raised weld and leave a gap away from the weld. Other holes around the oil pan rail/flange have machined cut outs to make space for the nuts. It would have been a little better I think to have done that at every hole where a weld is right there.
I had similar issues on a couple of the studs/nuts. I ended up filing those spots down as much as possible but was unable to get a socket to work on one of the nuts due to the space and weld issue so I torqued down all others nuts and finished the difficult one off with a open end wrench.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Just received my 1.1 oil pan. It arrived with no install notes. Question: Other than the old oil pan, does anything else have to be removed?
I found that using a pen like a rolling pin, made the o-ring installation a breeze.

Last edited by Guhlen; 08-28-2014 at 01:13 PM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guhlen View Post
Just received my 1.1 oil pan. It arrived with no install notes. Question: Other than the old oil pan, does anything else have to be removed?
I found that using a pen like a rolling pin, made the o-ring installation a breeze.
I didn't get the comment about the o-ring being difficult to install. Piece of cake using my clean fingers....

The instructions are posted on their website:
BOE Total Oil Control 1.1 Installation Notes

2005 GG Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Vendors > BOE Fabrication

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in