New CF Marque Mirror-BOE - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:40 AM

Just installed mine. Install was easy but you do need patience. I think I removed the drivers side door panel three times to recover lost screws, etc. because I was rushing a bit.

End result is 10x better than OEM. Car looks so, so much better. The black vinyl is a really nice touch. To echo what many have said, the bases themselves are worth the price of admission. Fantastic product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

RD-I know not having that tail in there is a pet peeve of yours since you keep bringing it up. I guess it will just always be a mystery for you

As far as instructions go, they are not furnished with installation notes. They are a "plug and play" item-- meaning no drilling or modifcations to the body required. Simply unbolt the stockers, apply the black out film, and install the new mirrors...

Best tip I can provide that might not be so obvious is to tighten the mirror stems to the bases more than you think they'll need to be. You need to be able to adjust them, but the stem should be quite stiff.

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircuitTested View Post
Just installed mine. Install was easy but you do need patience. I think I removed the drivers side door panel three times to recover lost screws, etc. because I was rushing a bit.

End result is 10x better than OEM. Car looks so, so much better. The black vinyl is a really nice touch. To echo what many have said, the bases themselves are worth the price of admission. Fantastic product.
Thanks!

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
RD-I know not having that tail in there is a pet peeve of yours since you keep bringing it up. I guess it will just always be a mystery for youl
Yeah, it is. It makes it look like a cheap Brasilian knock off and makes it a no-go for me.

Can you fix it to the real Lotus logo or will that bring down the wrath of Lotus?
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 01:47 PM

I'm pretty sure it would bring down some kind of legal hammer. Personally, I'll probably grab a set, but would actually prefer a base without the logo. The thing is on the car which already has a logo or two itself...

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Can't please them all

post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post
Yeah, it is. It makes it look like a cheap Brasilian knock off and makes it a no-go for me.

Can you fix it to the real Lotus logo or will that bring down the wrath of Lotus?
Wow..are you serious?
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 05:07 PM

Money talks. I ordered them and I really like them.

For those of you that always seem to critique........I don't see you manufacturing anything for our cars.

Keep up the great work Phil. Everyone else can stuff it

65 Elan S2 - Restored & For Sale
72 Europa- Restoration finished
69 Elan S4 - Restored & Sold
64 Elan S1 - Restored & Not for sale
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart - Sold
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car - Sold
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car - Wrecked at track
06 Elise - Track pack - Sold
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Can't please them all
Phil, IDK what your beef with me is and frankly don't care, however, you still have not answered my question of can you fix the logo on a set of the bases. Yeah, I've pointed it out before because I wasn't sure that you noticed the graphic you may have downloaded from the 'net wasn't correct. Many have done that in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
Wow..are you serious?
Yes. Would you put a prancing goat on a Ferrari? How about a mane-less horse? How about "Ferarri"? I would rather have no logo than an incorrect one, no matter how subtle it may be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Certified Lotus View Post
Money talks.
It sure does .

And for that kind of money for a set of mirror bases, I would expect a correct logo, or at least not an incorrect one.

Quote:
For those of you that always seem to critique........I don't see you manufacturing anything for our cars.

Quote:
Everyone else can stuff it
Currently stuffing...
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

RD- I have no beef with you. You have an entertaining wit about ya and I typically enjoy it-- even when you're taking pot-shots at me, which you've been doing going back several years.

As for your curiosity for whether or not I knew about the logo discrepancy-- If I planned to answer you, I would have replied to your first public forum posting of it on a different part. If you were truly concerned for me in your query, you would have PM'd or emailed me. Posting your question publicly and continuing to bring it up without coming to me privately when you very well know how to get ahold of me privately, simply tells me you're trolling. I get it. You're bored and need some gossip to focus on for the day. Glad I can be of assistance

Those that can live with the missing "tail" will enjoy the part as it is. If you think you can make it cheaper, prettier, and with a logo like you like it for less money, then have at it

In the meantime we can both agree that Kate Beckinsale is the only reason we both watch Underworld

-Phil

post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 AM

Phil, I'm not trolling or trying to take pot-shots at you at all. I have time for neither. As I posted above, I would be interested in a base with a correct logo or no logo more than one with an incorrect logo. If either of those had been possible, I would have been interested in purchasing a set. Since neither appear to be a possibility, I am not interested. Legit questions of potentially putting the correct logo would bring down the wrath of Lotus lawyers or if you can change the base engraving, not a pot shot. Perhaps you are a bit too sensitive to me posting in your threads...

As far as watching Underworld is concerned... twice .
post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post
Phil, I'm not trolling or trying to take pot-shots at you at all. I have time for neither.

As far as watching Underworld is concerned... twice .
Hehe. "No time" from the guy with ~10,000 posts (just on LT let alone your other forums) and seen Underworld twice... c'mon now

post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 07:00 AM

I just started trying to install my set, and I've run into a problem, I can't access the lower-rear bolt holding on the stock mirror. I've poked around with both 3mm and 4mm ball-ended allen wrenches, but I can't find any bolt head by feel. It's hard to see in there, but what I can see is a flat, matte black surface where I would think the bolt head should be. Sector111's raceVIEW mirrors product page notes that some cars "have a plate (window slider)" blocking access to that bolt, and imply that their mirrors aren't compatible with such cars. Best I can tell, this seems to be the case for my '08 S240. Has anyone else had this problem, or anyone with an '08 S240 *not* had this problem? Is there really no way around it? There must be some way to remove the stock mirrors.

TIA,

-Ed
'08 Arctic Silver Exige S240
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinP View Post
I just started trying to install my set, and I've run into a problem, I can't access the lower-rear bolt holding on the stock mirror. I've poked around with both 3mm and 4mm ball-ended allen wrenches, but I can't find any bolt head by feel. It's hard to see in there, but what I can see is a flat, matte black surface where I would think the bolt head should be. Sector111's raceVIEW mirrors product page notes that some cars "have a plate (window slider)" blocking access to that bolt, and imply that their mirrors aren't compatible with such cars. Best I can tell, this seems to be the case for my '08 S240. Has anyone else had this problem, or anyone with an '08 S240 *not* had this problem? Is there really no way around it? There must be some way to remove the stock mirrors.

TIA,
To follow up, I took a look through that rearward access hole in the left-hand door with a borescope. In the first picture, the scope is aimed right about where I think the lower-rear bolt head should be, but all you can see is a black metal plate. On the far right in that pic, forward of the black plate, you can see the left edge of a bolt head. In the second picture, the scope is aimed at that bolt head (the scope is angled as far forward as possible). That bolt head is the lower-forward bolt for the mirror, which I confirmed by sticking an allen wrench in that bolt via the lower-front access hole (I didn't bother taking a photo with the allen wrench in place).

So do I need to take my door apart to unbolt the stock mirror? I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.
Attached Images

-Ed

Last edited by AustinP; 01-05-2014 at 03:59 PM.
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 04:11 PM

Don't give up. Endeavor to persevere.
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 06:36 PM

Phil, you have any encouraging words?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

-Ed
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinP View Post
Phil, you have any encouraging words?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
"It was assembled by man so it can be taken apart by man"

How's that?

post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 AM

Can't tell from any of the pictures - is there access to adjust the stem after they're on the car? The stock ones move if hit. If someone hits these what moves or fails first?

'05 Storm Titanium / Red
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
"It was assembled by man so it can be taken apart by man"

How's that?
Hard to argue with, but I was hoping not to be the first to deal with this problem. I guess I'll pull the door panel and try to diagnose what all needs to come apart, and then decide if I want to venture forth.

-Ed
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Elise Guru

Nice, looking mirrors Phil!

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Vendors > BOE Fabrication

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in