Picking the right brake pad - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By turbophil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Picking the right brake pad

We get the question of which brake pad is the best for the car; Elise, Exige, Evora, track, street, mixed use, race only, etc, etc. The subject is debatable and the answer for me has changed over the years.

As we have acquired more and more experience with dozens and dozens of street and track/race builds, we have developed what I would call the brake pad secret sauce recipe.

You don't need a lot of options, you just need to know what rules to not break when braking!

Here's a link to our take on brake pads.

Stop! Brake Pads @ BOEFAB Tech

Cheers,

Phil
Attached Images

JohnHanson1976 and 310tmac like this.

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

Last edited by turbophil; 03-12-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:10 PM

I really like the Ferodo DS2500 in your article for the reasons mentioned. It is a nice upgrade from the OEM pads and things like Porterfields, yet street friendly. For my naturally aspirated car on R888, it even does pretty decently at the track.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
I really like the Ferodo DS2500 in your article for the reasons mentioned. It is a nice upgrade from the OEM pads and things like Porterfields, yet street friendly. For my naturally aspirated car on R888, it even does pretty decently at the track.
Thanks.

Yes, the DS2500 has been accused as being the perfect brake pad more than once. Obviously not a race pad or for dedicated track cars, but for street or mixed use, it's hard to beat.

I've never thought it made sense to carry parts we don't believe in or like. So rather than carry every pad on the market, we just carry the ones that really work great.

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:25 PM

Thanks for this.

I also liked reading the header shootout and the oil filter breakdown.

Maybe something on tires would be helpful. Street vs Street/Track vs Track.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstomp06 View Post
Thanks for this.

I also liked reading the header shootout and the oil filter breakdown.

Maybe something on tires would be helpful. Street vs Street/Track vs Track.
Glad we could help.

Certainly have some opinions on tires We'll work on that!

Cheers,

Phil

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:07 PM

I have been running Cobalts on my Exige (hardly ever driven on street) since 2010. They are rarely if ever mentioned on the forums and when I told track folks to give them a try I would always get crazy eye look. Anyway, I love them!

For those that have AP Brake calipers in front (OEM on 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240, etc) you want:
Cobalt AP9 - AP Racing CP7600D46 - 14.5mm

Phil do you offer the pads for the cars with APs?

Click links to see my 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240 , '99 M3, 505rwhp '89 Mustang ( sold) , '05 WRX STI ( sold) homepages or here for my spin compilations (ispunuwin & ispinuwin2!)!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
I have been running Cobalts on my Exige (hardly ever driven on street) since 2010. They are rarely if ever mentioned on the forums and when I told track folks to give them a try I would always get crazy eye look. Anyway, I love them!

For those that have AP Brake calipers in front (OEM on 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240, etc) you want:
Cobalt AP9 - AP Racing CP7600D46 - 14.5mm

Phil do you offer the pads for the cars with APs?
Hi Eric,

Good catch! missed that on the website! Yes, we do have the pads for the 4 pot APs on the S240, cup cars, etc... Website just updated accordingly.

Thanks!

Phil

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:30 PM

One nit to pick,

You state that ALL Carbotechs are not suitable for street use.
1521 is specifically designed for the street and should NOT be used on the track.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111Joe View Post
One nit to pick,

You state that ALL Carbotechs are not suitable for street use.
1521 is specifically designed for the street and should NOT be used on the track.
Indeed. It was on my list to update. There is a bit of rare bird of a pad for C-tech that is a designated street pad. I say rare bird, because we don't see it often. I'd take the DS2500 over that pad. The DS2500 is a pretty epic street/track pad... easier bed in as well... I updated the tutorial

Cheers,

Phil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Vendors > BOE Fabrication

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in