2 racing seats +harness bar +harnesses install for approx $2,350 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

2 racing seats +harness bar +harnesses install for approx $2,350

I did a lot of research on the most economical and easiest way to install racing seats and a harness bar in my 2008 Elise. I wanted a driver's seat that could move forward and back. I also wanted to be able to use a 5-point harness while at the track and my original 3-point seat belts for everyday driving. I finished the install a few months ago and I've been very happy. I wanted to share my experience. Prices listed are what I paid, and include S&H.

Seats $1,730/pair:
Corbeau LE-X http://www.corbeau-seats.com/lotusre...ar-bucket-seat. These seats are more comfortable than the OEM seats and fit the existing Elise rails. The flash photos aren't great; the seats look much better in person. NOTE: Not made for anyone larger than about a 34-inch waist, and probably more comfortable at 32-inch or smaller. You'll need to drill an additional hole in the rail (easy to see where it needs to be), but otherwise, they fit pretty easily. Fairly straightforward install for the seats.

With short legs, I have to pull my driver seat all the way forward, which caused the seat to rub against the gear shift console. We put a heat gun under the console to melt the plastic inside, creating a shallow dent so the seat won't hit it. The dent isn't real noticeable unless you're looking for it, and xxcept where I scraped up the leather before we decided to make the indentation, it doesn't look too bad. This step wouldn't be necessary if you don't need the seat moved way up.

Seatbelt Extenders for OEM belts. $46/pair:
I installed my OEM seatbelt female receivers in the same location as on the old seats, but because these seats come up higher on the sides, the receivers don't stick up above the seats, which makes them very difficult to latch. I bought seat belt extenders on Amazon. They're 7" Type B, 31/32" wide.

Harnesses $325/pair:
Make sure you get harnesses that pull up, not down. This makes it much easier to adjust them in the tight confines of a Lotus. I like the Cam-Lock type of latch, although it's a bit more expensive.

Harness hardware $50 for two seats:
I wanted to be able to remove my side harness belts when not at the track. I installed these into the rearmost holes of the seat rails; the bolts go all the way through the base of the car: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gfr-109l

Then I attached my side harnesses to these snap hooks: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gfr-107w.

Harness Bar $188:
Elise Parts - Road & Track - Safety - Harness Bars
I bought the S2 Elise K series to fit a wraparound harness. This does require the seats to be removed for installation and does require cutting of the plastic behind the seats. This was a pain in the ass to install, but good detailed instructions are here: Harness bar - TechWiki

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:40 AM

Garage
Excellent write up, thanks.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 AM
He's on fire!

The only thing I don't like is the bolts sticking out on the bottom. I've attempted to minimize this on my install by having the bolt heads on the bottom instead (of course they have a regular hex head), I'm currently running the s111 sys.6.pack but looking to change to something more like your setup for lap belt installation.

Might use rally-eye up top instead of the eye bolts like you've got there... still mulling it over. But looks good!

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:14 PM

Does a harness bar like this cause lose much rear-ward seat adjustment room? Asking as a tall person...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:19 AM

Isn't it extremely inconvenient to have to pull the 3pt through both hip holes for everyday driving? That would get on my nerves immensely.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

When I'm not at the track, I always have my seat extenders installed. They feed through the hole in the seat and stay there. Then the 3-point just plugs into the extender, no need to thread it every time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in