autoross tech inspection - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

autoross tech inspection

Hey guys. Doin my first autocross this sunday
My brake fluid is a bit murky and I don't know if I'll have time to change it between now and then. Will I fail my tech if it's too dirty? Do they even make us take our access panel off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:12 PM

Typically the tech inspection is simple, pop your engine hatch, show your helmet so they can see if it has a recent enough cert. Check to see if you removed all the loose stuff in your cockpit, including floor mats. Most commonly failed item on an Elise in our area is a loose battery, make sure it is cinched down and not wiggly. I don't think they will examine the color/clarity of your brake fluid at a local autocross.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 AM

We check level, but not clarity.

Quantum Mechanic, Black Holes refilled, Quarks repaired
Dan, 2010 Exige S240

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 08:38 AM

Garage
Also important to note that the discolored fluid can cling to the surface of the reservoir. Mine still looks black after a change from the outside, but fluid is clean on the inside.

Never had anyone check brake fluid at an autocross tech inspection. Fankly, they're not very intensive these days. Don't even sit in your car to turn wheel and feel brake pedal.

My father was autocross chair of his club (Brandywine Motorsport Club) in 1976. They would always pull/push on all 4 tire tops to check wheel bearings, and had another test where they had you brake with hands off the wheel at slow speed to check for a stuck/uneven front brake caliper.

Mechanical sympathy makes us better mechanics and better owners. Ducati dry clutches .... I just don't get it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

No issue at all. I had a great time and learned a ton! I'm hooked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in