BBhook installation for naked rear cars with modified heat shields in place - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

BBhook installation for naked rear cars with modified heat shields in place

I just installed Sector 111’s BBhook on my ’06 Exige. I had thought about doing this late in 2010 at the same time when I changed to an over-the-diffuser exhaust but did not (had been using S111’s Boomerang hook at the time). At that time, along with removing the exhaust to be replaced, I removed and modified the exhaust bay heat shield for the “naked rear” set up and left the U-bend heat shields in place.

The consequence of installing the BBhook many months later meant that I would have to remove the diffuser and exhaust so that I could also remove and modify the exhaust bay heat shield for installation of the BBhook. The BBhook attaches directly an area of the rear sub-frame that is covered by the corner of the exhaust bay heat shield.

Modifications made:

Trimmed the heat shield so the tow hook could mate directly to the frame (picture below);

Folded the U-bend heat shield partition tab over horizontally, because it was binding on the bottom of the BBhook (picture below);

Made a surface mounted grommet to secure the rear corner of fender liner (its mounting hole was taken by one of the BBhook tow hook fasteners). I did this by pressing the fender well liner mounting hole onto /around the nut of the BBhook and then pushing on a rubber compression bushing (plumbing use) over the nut and fender well liner, sliding a small washer over the top, and then a nut finger tightened (see picture).

The net result is that the BBhook is now installed with exhaust heat shields in place and the fender liner secured and mounted flush to the sub-frame.
Attached Images

2006 Exige - Phantom Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM

Very well done!

2007 Chili Red Elise
2009 Chrome Orange Exige S260
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:33 PM

Can we put this on the RHS?

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 04:39 AM
He's on fire!

how far does one of these stick out from a top down perspective? I'm considering trying to put this on my car without going to the naked look and wondering how much of the ring will clear the grill

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

lotuscupcar: thanks!

HKFEVER: the BBhook design is not symmetrical; it fits on the left side of the rear sub-frame, only. Even if it could be installed on the right side, it is likely the exhaust outlet pipe (on most above-the-diffuser exhausts) would interfere.

jds62f: the BBhook sticks out about 1.25 inches +/- from the clam right above the grill opening. Just a little more than 1/2 of the ring would be outside of the grill. Instead of a making a slit cut-out on the grill for the BBhook to fit through, you could cut a U shaped opening so the entire ring would be visible / accessible from above.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 AM

Any reason why you chose to retain the heat shield with the naked rear? Peace of Mind?

On both my previous cars I took them off with no problems since there is still a heat shield attached under the trunk.

Very clean install!!!

2007 Lotus Exige S *Chrome Orange - SOLD
2007 Lotus Exige S *Aspen White - SOLD
2005 Lotus Elise *Magnetic Blue - SOLD
2006 Lotus Exige *Starlight Black Pearl - SOLD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

lotuselise7, thanks. I kept the heat shield in the exhaust bay for a couple of reasons: functionality, and appearance.

Once or twice a year, I use the car for a long road trip (1,000 miles) with my wife, and we stuff the trunk full of personal belongings and goodies that we pick up along the way. Having the heat shield in place means that the trunk temperature is less likely to get a boost from radiant heat from the exhaust below. More (heat shielding) is less (temperature) in this case.

Also, the remaining heat shielding looks better with the naked to me than a gutted exhaust bay.

I do track the car a few times a year but not enough to go OCD over the extra couple of pounds from the heat shielding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in