Cobra Racer Pro & Harness Install Prep - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jdawson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Cobra Racer Pro & Harness Install Prep

After debating seats for quite some time, I decided to give the Cobra Racer Pro a try. I really wanted an FIA certified, HANS compatible, and fully padded seat. This seamed like one of the more reasonable options and I had a buddy selling one for a reduced price.

Disclaimer, I'm 5'6"...so, I have a forward seating position.

Initially fitting didn't look very good. The center console plastic was definitely an issue... so, out it went. With the stock sliders installed, it was clear the seat doesn't fully nestle between them. This results in a seating position ~35-40mm taller than the stock seat. Hmm... not thrilling. If you sit rearward, a set of stationary mounts would work nicely with this seat.

So, I tabled the Cobra option and went back to the drawing board. Other main options I considered:
  • Corbeau LE-X: I'm not a fan of the fabric used on the Elige Corbeau options. They're not FIA certified, but the harness openings look like they would be compatible with a HANS and they're fully padded. So, they check two of the three requirements boxes.
  • Bride Zodia: I've sat in one of these seats. The position is OK - a little raised vs. OEM. The harness openings are small, but placed about right for someone my size. The lead time is 60-90 days once you order, according to a couple of distributors.

After some analysis paralysis, I opted to try further investigating the Cobra. I had access to a 3D scanner, so I scanned the interior, seat and sliders. With a bunch of modeling, here's what I came up with. I'm pretty pleased with the result and the final position is reasonable.

Side mount design:

Side view, not lifted 35-40mm:

Anti-sub design:

Mounts mid-fab:

After welding & cleanup:

Installed:

Clearance to upper bodywork:

Clearance to stock shift tower:

Inner clearance:

Touching the sill in forward position:

Also fab'd a 1.75" 4130 harness bar:

Harness bar installed:
forkmeupscotty likes this.

2006 Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 07:56 AM
Supporting Vendor

Good job. Seats have been the bane of my Lotus existence. Getting a seat in the right position is a serious challenge! There is always a trade-off somewhere!

Don't hesitate to drill through your seat rail inserts and bolt into the chassis. You can fab up 'fender' washers like our sys6pack to help distribute the load.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Getting a seat in the right position is a serious challenge! There is always a trade-off somewhere!

Don't hesitate to drill through your seat rail inserts and bolt into the chassis. You can fab up 'fender' washers like our sys6pack to help distribute the load.
I'll likely have to drill through somewhere to mount the lap-belt anchors and anti-sub bracket. Shinoo, since we're about the same height, do you have any recommendations for lap-belt anchors attached to the chassis?

If I follow the installation procedure for most harnesses, the lap-belts should be anchored between 45 and 80 degrees from horizontal, as highlighted by the orange lines in the image below. I'll be using an FiA certified 6-point harness with clip in lap belts. The rearward chassis crossbar is bit too far rearward to meet the 45 degree angle without putting serious load through the seat side openings.

2006 Lotus Elise

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:02 PM
He's on fire!

This is how they attach them in 211's. I wish it was easy to have the bolts not sticking through the bottom of the car (also like 211's). How bad is the lap belt angle with where the seat is? (hard to tell looking at picture)

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

Our pinch plate design used in the sys6pack was developed because of the lack of space under the seat. This is the only way I have secured an anti-sub belt since developing it.
Attached Images

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
This is how they attach them in 211's. I wish it was easy to have the bolts not sticking through the bottom of the car (also like 211's). How bad is the lap belt angle with where the seat is? (hard to tell looking at picture)
The angle is ~40 degrees from horizontal, so just about 5 degrees less than recommended.

I'll likely drill through the cross member and install some eye rings with backing plates that have minimal protrusion past the flat floor.

2006 Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in