Do you use a HANS device at track days? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
View Poll Results: Do you use a HANS device at track days?
Yes 21 37.50%
No 32 57.14%
What's a HANS device? 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenbl View Post
I have used the carbon fiber R3 for 2 years and like it. The only thing is that the R3 backbone and pad push you forward in your seat, so that the seat sides are not securing the driver as well. if one gets into an accident with the R3 without a harness, I suppose it is better than nothing, but the shoulder harness do go over and push the backbone wings down. Without the push down, there will be more head movement.

Mark
Thanks. I agree it would not be as effective as with harnesses, but certainly better than nothing if I'm in a car without harnesses. I guess the next step is to find one at a track event and sit in the car to see if I'm comfortable with the seating position.

"Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound" - Clarkson

05 Mag Blue Elise
LTW Motorsports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:35 PM

...but I ordered a DefNder today- Been putting it off for years (mostly because of ignorance)- What I've read about the DefNder makes it out to be a simple, yet reputable, product-

I feel better already-

Grab Life by the Wheel
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenbl View Post
I have used the carbon fiber R3 for 2 years and like it. The only thing is that the R3 backbone and pad push you forward in your seat, so that the seat sides are not securing the driver as well. if one gets into an accident with the R3 without a harness, I suppose it is better than nothing, but the shoulder harness do go over and push the backbone wings down. Without the push down, there will be more head movement.

Mark
I ended up getting the composite R3 Rage. With sliding harnesses it doesn't restrict my vision at all. I tried it one day without the pad; this was bearable as long as I sat very upright. Leaning forward any amount led to the backbone pressing uncomfortably against my back.

Either way, I had a pretty sore back at the end of the day. I'll definitely be using the pad next time out.

2012 Volcano Orange McLaren MP4-12C
2007 BMW 335i

Sold: 2007 Polar Blue Exige S, Gotham, Track/Touring/LSD, Moroso, Larini 6", misc. Reverie bling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in