Elise roll bar extender or lower seat for tall driver (6'3'') - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Elise roll bar extender or lower seat for tall driver (6'3'')

I'm tall (6'3'') and with a helmet I stick out an inch or so out of the Elise's frame. Is there an bolt-on roll bar extender that I could bring with me to the track and bolt on for track use? Then unbolt it for street use? It's OK if it interferes with the roof. I want some more piece of mind in case of a rollover on the track.

I have a 2005 Elise with a soft top. I expect to take it to the track three times this summer. Plus many autocrosses, but I am not as concerned about rollovers there.

If there is a replacement seat that lets me sit lower in the car, I would consider that as well. A seat would take a lot more space in my storage unit.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Me!
6.94915254 lbs/hp

TALLrails are Seat Rails for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

There you go, these should do the trick, tall seat rails. I have them in my car and I'm 6'2" and have plenty of headroom (4 inches?).

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it with a helmet.

2007 Storm Titanium Exige S w/ sunvisor delete
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

That is a great idea Me! As a bonus I may be able to see traffic lights.

It looks like the seat will not be able to move back and forth after installation.

Sector 111 says: "Eliminates seat travel on driverís side. Customers who have especially long legs may find that the TALLrails will cause your knees to hit steering wheel."

Are you finding it makes entry and exit harder? I drive in a mid forward position but I slide the seat all the way back for entry and exit.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 AM

I'm 6'4 long torso

I had maybe a half inch clearance with the soft top on, head slightly stuck out over the windshield. With a helmet I was sticking out a lot so last year broke down and got the tall rails - huge difference. Now with a helmet on it just brushes the soft or hard top, no helmet I've bags of headroom so it's a major improvement. Now I can see traffic lights thru the windshield rather than over it, overall it's just a better driving experience.

Saying that it does tilt the seat so the front raises a little, again having shorter legs, legroom for me is still fine but I could see where someone with long legs could have issues (although in that case they'd probably fit under the roof anyway so wouldn't need it)

The lack of movement isn't an issue. I don't ever remember anyone driving my car moving it forward before and to be honest if they can't reach the pedals them though, they can't drive it

The seat can be adjusted with the tall rails both in tilt and front/back, it just cannot be adjusted with the lever (taking the mechanism out helps lower it). You set it when you install to where you want it so it's fixed from that point.

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

I installed the tall rails recently. Very painful installation - required some hole enlargement to make everything aligned and many attempts at putting the seat in and out. Not as bad as the airbag switch, however. Now I fit in the car much better vertically. Getting in and out is harder as I can't move the seat all the way back before getting out.

The rails have 3 back and forth positions and a sliding tilt position. The two screws controlling the tilt have to be very tight so the seat doesnít twitch as your body weight shifts in the car.

I have it all the way forward and smallest tilt. It seems that increasing the tilt or moving the seat back would bring the top of the seat under the roll bar which is a no-no for safety (also says so in the instructions). So it appears that the range of possible positions is smaller than it may seem.

I will see what other people who have driven the car in the past say about their comfort with the fixed seat.

Also, the rails are deep so the under-seat carpet will get flattened by them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in