Fire bottle/supression system - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Absolute power does what?

Fire bottle/supression system

Gents,

Given the massive power upgrade I'm doing and after seeing a local racer get badly burned in a spec Boxster and I really want a fire system. I already wear a suit and HANS and a cage is on the list but that's not in the budget right now.

This is the system I'm considering

5lb FireBottle system

I've searched around and while some guys talked about systems I didn't see any guides or definitive answers. So if there aren't any major revelations I'll treat this as a build thread and document the install.

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM

re: Fire Supression

This is what similar to what I use.

Have not had a chance to try it. Hope I will not have to.

Anton
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 04:16 PM

thats pretty much what i have as well (could be exactly..) for a production car... you might want more volume. i have 2 nozzles one shooting at my groin/legs, and one shooting fuel side of engine. pull is on the "dash".

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
for a production car... you might want more volume.
More details please - what do you mean, a 10lb bottle vs. a 5lb one? I'm obviously thinkin of this in terms of giving me more time to get out of the car not really to save it. If it really bursts into flames I want to not die not save my car. I mean both would be great I'm just trying to be realistic with my goals.

I'm thinking this kit with one nozzle in the cabin at my crotch (just as you describe) and one nozzle in the engine bay pointing at the throttle body/supercharger/head area. I may call them and see what I'd need to run a 3 nozzle so I can put two in the engine bay. I'd even consider a 4th for a passenger - while I don't push hard when I have a passenger there is still the possibility of something breaking/exploding. How horrible would I feel if my system saved me but not my passenger!

Actually that is an interesting point - what do you guys think of that?

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 04:32 PM

That would be a good idea
I've always had great experiences with this company:
http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-56.htm
Not sure if it's a comparable system.

Chris

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusCC View Post
That would be a good idea
I've always had great experiences with this company:
ESS Fire Suppression Systems
Not sure if it's a comparable system.

Chris

That looks like a pretty complete setup too - one thing I like about the system I posted is the fact that it as a temp sensor and will auto fire at 155 degrees. In the recent incident at our track it's believed that the driver passed out and basically floored it when he did so. They think he was passed out the whole time and as such never pulled the cable on his system. Doesn't do you much good if it doesn't get fired.

Any idea of that could be added to that system?

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 05:23 PM

Give them a call. They've always been extremely knowledgeable and race cars themselves.
I bet you can't wait for the car to be finished up

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 05:27 PM

Just looked at their other fire suppression systems and I don't see the automatic feature in the description. I'd say that's an important feature to have.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 06:39 PM

Garage
Anything wrong with the system that Lotus put in their 255 Cup cars?

Geez it's fun to do what you're doing putting it all together piece by piece but I bet you are like me and deciding that just writing Lotus a check would have been better as well as easier and quicker and cost less too.

But everyone ought to do it once. Am sure enjoying watching you do this. Look forward to seeing what you come up with here. I'll probably emulate.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Nothing wrong with that system at all Bob, I just figure it's going to be more expensive aftermarket than a non OEM part. And yes, you're right if you're going to go this far starting with the Cup Car is the way to go (mainly as I want the air jacks). That said I also agree that everyone should do this once and I have almost as much fun with this part as I do driving.

I said to Frank once "well hell once you do X you'll be done, right". "Yeah, but I don't want to be done!!"

I'm leaning heavily so far to the solution in my OP - I'm going to call them this week to discuss and will update here accordingly. I did get some early numbers from Phil today, 286 ft/lbs and 345 hp - at the rear wheels. Stock was 120/160 so a little upgrade....

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 PM
BANNED

Lotus uses a system like this...but the same size...
4.0ltr Electric
The Cup cars and the 2-Elevens come with 4 nozzles...one pointing at each occupant of the vehicle (under the dash) and 2 on the engine; one is on the upper left hand side of the car (forward of the engine, pointing back at the engine) and the second on the lower right hand side (aft of the engine, pointing at the exhaust system).
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:15 PM

re: Fire Supression

The system that the Op proposes with automatic activator is similar to the ones used in NASCAR. NASCAR uses 2 bottles 5lb for the cabin and 10lb for the engine. NASCAR puts the temp sensor in the fuel cell area.

The AFFF systems became popular because Halon got outlawed and the replacement FE-36 is more expensive. AFFF is water-based. It means you will have a big mess to clean-up after.... AFFF may cause shorts in the electrical system... Halon and FE-36 is great because it puts out the fire but leaves no residue. It is a gas. This is what is used in the computer rooms, as well.

There is no need to place the nozzles too low. FE-36 is heavier than air. There is no need to place the nozzles closer to you, they need to be closer to the fire.

AFFF covers the car with water foam and denies O2 for combustion.

FE-36 prevents the free radicals that perpetuate the combustion. It stops the chemical reaction which is the fire. If there is 2 to 3% concentation of FE-36, the fire will just stop!

Tough choices... I like using what the pros use.

There have been cases where a fast hot fire would burn through the lines delivering the fire supressor (and it would not be delivered where it is needed). I prefer to use steel lines (instead of rubber or teflon hose). With Fe-36 they can be small (brake lines) and do not add much weight. Such lines can be easily flared for simple installation. (Just do not forget that brake-line flaring tool is not the same as AN flaring tool.)

Anton

P.S. 10lbs. FE-36 is big for our cars, but it does not hurt.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Well gents after doing some looking around a pretty good deal just fell in my lap via Pegasus

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...paign=201310-2

Any thoughts on that? I love that it's a 5 nozzle and much beefier system. Anyone see any reason I wouldn't do this kit??

-Ross

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 AM
BANNED

My car came with the OEM fire system and that one looks very similar...if my car didn't come with one, I'd probably get that one. Looks good to me...
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM

How did this work out Ross? Any install pictures?

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

It hasn't - yet - as you know I've just been super busy with my new job and as such have had little time to play. That said this is still on the winter to do list and will be done before April. While I might get a few days in before then they would be slower/laid back days since I not only want the fire system I need tires!

I'll update the thread when I move it forward...

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 07:32 PM

Sounds good bro! Thanks.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 07:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
It hasn't - yet - as you know I've just been super busy with my new job and as such have had little time to play. That said this is still on the winter to do list and will be done before April. While I might get a few days in before then they would be slower/laid back days since I not only want the fire system I need tires!

I'll update the thread when I move it forward...
I have the manual pull system you noted in the first post in my Lotus 61 Formula car and the (2) nozzles are fine for that application but not enough for the Elise....I just added a OMP (5) nozzle system to the Elise. I place (2) nozzles under the front cross member of the cage but you can use the aluminum shelf, (1) in each foot well aimed at my groin. I placed (3) in the engine bay. My supply line comes through the bulkhead behind the drive so I placed (1) nozzle aimed at the area between the motor and the bulkhead so the intake area and front of the motor was covered. I placed (2) along the rear chassis cross member with (1) pointed at the fuel rail end of the motor and the other on the passenger side of the exhaust. Between the (3) the entire engine are will be covered. I hope to NEVER use the system but I like knowing it there if I need it! The system was purchased from Pegasus Racing and it was on sale for around $500.00. It is electric and self contained so it is not connected to the cars electrical system. One will need to remember to check/change the battery!!! There is a test mode on the switch panel.

I'll try to get a few photos and post them later...
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 08:27 PM

Bumping an old thread. Any updates on this? I recently had an incident with an injector leaking fuel with a subsequent flash fire in the engine bay. Luckily was able to grab my little fire extinguisher bottle from the passenger foot well and was able to put it out quickly. Now I realize how important the need for fire suppression can be and looking at options.

Cosworth short block, BOE Rev 400, Cometic Head Gasket 11.5:1, JCR Head with BOE Spec Porting, A/C Delete, BOE Surge Tank, ACT HDSS Clutch,BOE TOC Oil Pan, BOE HP Radiator, BOE Front Mount HEX, BOE Rear Mounted Oil Cooler System and Fan, Larini 4:1 Header, BOE Featherweight Exhaust, Nitron DA, Gut Sport Front Splitter, Difflow 5 Element Diffuser and Aeroplates, 5 point harnesses, BMW bolts, Yellow painted calipers, Jim Clayton Tow Hook, Rear Tow Hook, Visor Delete, Halon Fire Extinguisher.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 08:50 PM

Yes Ross, while I have the clams off / cage going in I was pondering this. Updates and pictures please...........

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in